Rivets

Tyrrhenus

Those "pinwheel" things are quite popular, I think, for flush-type rivets on aircraft. For raised rivets, you can buy sheets of them, or use droplets of CA glue, or drill hundreds of holes, glue in tiny lengths of stretched sprue and melt the ends over. Ask how I know...

• Like 2

Those "pinwheel" things are quite popular, I think, for flush-type rivets on aircraft. For raised rivets, you can buy sheets of them, or use droplets of CA glue, or drill hundreds of holes, glue in tiny lengths of stretched sprue and melt the ends over. Ask how I know...

The 'proper' name is ponce wheel which you can buy at a dressmaking/craft store and it will emboss the surface of the model.

Or you can use it on the reverse side of five thou sheet to give 'proud' rivets and then apply the sheet to the model. This is more a scratch building technique, but can be used on kits too.

You can make ponce wheels with old gears from clocks, other clockwork mechanisms or small gearboxes, i.e. toys. This gives you a selection of rivet diameters and pitches.

• Like 1

I purchased online a RivetR from www.radum.com. It comes with four wheels of differing pitch centres. Work very well, made from PE Stainless Steel watch your fingers, ouch!

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea for a line engraver to deepen panel lines of planes

You probably should have started a new thread, but in answer to your question, a sewing needle in a pin vice does the job perfectly well for me. For really deep panel lines, I use a Tamiya scriber.

Hth,

Tom.

• 1 month later...

Rivet wheels are tricky to use. With a scriber all you need to do is lay down a bit of stiff tape as a guide and keep running along it until you get the required depth. Rivet wheels are much more difficult to guide using this method and also you can't really go back over a second time to deepen the holes as the points of the wheel are likely to mark a different spot on each pass. The marks made by rivet wheels are often not deep enough to show up after painting, if I have to use a rivet wheel I just use it as I kind of centre punch to make marks for my tiny drill.

Those "pinwheel" things are quite popular, I think, for flush-type rivets on aircraft.

But flush rivets are just that - flush! Not indented if you scaled up those indentations to 1:1 size the aircraft would be going in for repairs/reskinning.

This will surprise you then, at least in 1/32 & 1/48. Mind you the boredom might set in as you lovingly indent each one separately.

A

That's one hell of a tool actually, and the finish it gives is superb. The insanity factor might win out after doing a few thousand, but a quicker route to lunacy would be if you dropped it point down after doing half a dozen. :owww: The tip is hollowed out to leave a circular ring depression on the styrene. precision engineering :)

• Like 1

The HGW rivets are a great idea, as are the Archer 3D resin rivets that arrive on a clear carrier film in a few sizes and dot-pitches. You cut a length, wet them and then apply them carefully like decals. The rivets are printed domes that will stand up from the carrier film, which is so thin that it pretty much disappears under primer. They're expensive however, and only available direct here.

• Like 2