B-24 J Liberator update 27-8-2015

Hi Guys,

As the Co-host I will start with putting my stuff on this GB.

It is the 1/48 Monogram B-24J Liberator. With a few extra's. I have got a set gun barrels from Quickboost witch is original for the B-17G, but I think it will fit without any trouble. I also have 3 extra decal sheets. I still haven't decided totally on witch scheme I will use.
The model was a second handed one and was already started. I have managed to losen a few parts from each other. The only part I didn't touch was one of the wings. It was glued firmely and would brake if I used to much force.
I have also done some rescribing of the model recently. It may not be totally correct but will in the end give a better look after painting and a wash. The model was also in a box with a B-24D so I don't have a picture of the top of the box.
It was a great surprise to see two kits in one box and that for just 25 euro's!!!!

Here are the pictures of what is in the box.

the sidepicture of the box it came with.
IMG_2210_zps5xmtxgxr.jpg

the content.
IMG_2211_zpsb2lwkdvs.jpg
IMG_2215_zps4ns8oxtb.jpg

the sprues, or what was left of it.
IMG_2212_zpsdpiomn19.jpg
IMG_2213_zpspyolwagy.jpg

The glassing was twice in the box for the B-24J.
IMG_2214_zpsjfhisxbx.jpg

the lose parts (also partialy because of the rescribing). Also the cockpit was already painted. Don't worry about this I will re-paint this durring the build and try to enhance it.
IMG_2216_zpssvxxmze7.jpg
IMG_2217_zps8t7fssib.jpg
IMG_2218_zpsfv45kuzq.jpg
IMG_2219_zpslsyd834t.jpg

and the building manual.
IMG_2228_zpsabfdqpfm.jpg

and the decals from the kit with the quickboost set.
IMG_2220_zpsmcnwbiik.jpg

And the after market decals I have. My preference go to "Sweeter Gal" from the 93th BG.

IMG_2221_zpsyh666wic.jpg
IMG_2222_zpseb62yolz.jpg

IMG_2223_zpszut4cdso.jpg
IMG_2224_zpsdrqrmppw.jpg

IMG_2225_zpso4kfsnnr.jpg
IMG_2226_zpspfao59ph.jpg

And some of the reference material I have.
IMG_2227_zpsqhzfypmw.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 9

Best of luck Arnold,I,m afraid this GB is way out of my comfort zone but as a Liberator lover I,m going to be popping along at regular intervals.

• Like 1

I have done some research and it looks like Parson's chariot and sweater Gal both have a different front turret. The foto I saw from Parson's chariot whas the clearest, so I think i will go with that scheme. The front turret is the same as the rear one. Luckely I have a double set of clear sprues so I will try to change that. There is also a lot of weight needed in the front and I am thinking of closing the bomb bay. 1st to put in some extra weight and 2nd is that there is not much to see when it stands on the ground.

I think I also need to vac form or crash mould the top of the front and back turret to lose the seam in the original part.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Arnold

Sweater Gal has the early consalidated nose turret, and the other one is a ford mainly fitted to the H model . There is a replacement for the nose from Kosher Aero Enterprises called Nose Job it's a vac for

Cheers Les

• Like 1

Thanxs Les,

Foor Sweater Gal I wasn't sure, but Parsons Chariot I have a picture witch clearly gives the turreta also being the consolidated one.

This is the site I found for Parsons chariot. http://555navigator.blogspot.nl/2014/06/men-planes-of-466th-bomb-group.html

And the one for sweater gal.http://www.b24bestweb.com/sweatergal1.htm

I think I will go for Parsons chariot.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I don't envy you trying to decide between those schemes Arnold. I think I would go for Naughty Nan myself but I like the red tailed ones as well. Decisions, decisions!!!

Bruce

Thanxs Bruce. My first go was also for Naughty Nan, but it's a H version and that will mean some extra work and the front turret is the Ford one witch is very difficult to make as a vac ( to much plexi glass).

Cheers,

Hi Guys,

I have done some painting today. There was first a little mishap.I still don't know what happend, but I snapped the front of one of the fuselages.I was cleaning up a seam for placing some plastic plate behind the seats. And then it just happend.

IMG_2302_zpsecud1oip.jpg

Luckely I could save it with just glueing it on. I will clean up the seam on the outside after the 2 fuselage halfs are put together.

IMG_2303_zpsxd6bg10p.jpg

IMG_2304_zpsdphwaw7w.jpg

and so the painting started with these two colors. one is interior green (Gunze H58) and the other used is a mix of black green from Tamiya.

IMG_2301_zps9att3wo9.jpg

Before painting.

IMG_2300_zpsxtvfvyiz.jpg

And after painting.

IMG_2305_zpsoesxjspp.jpg

IMG_2306_zpsssh7bcjk.jpg

IMG_2307_zps6oocatbz.jpg

And some small parts.

IMG_2309_zpsaj7npoul.jpg

I also painted the engines black for later.

Cheers,

• Like 2

I have done today some more work. I have given the interior a wash and did some highlighting with dry brushing. Still need to do some detail painting.

When I have some pictures I will post them.

Cheers,

There is done more yesterday. I have put in all the interior work and closed the fuselage. I also made the second wing.

I do have some pictures, but I need to put them online. I hope i can do this this evening after work.

Cheers,

I have managed to get some pictures on Photobucket. Here they are.

The cockpit finished

IMG_2329_zps60lvjzqr.jpgIMG_2331_zpstyrmfqnp.jpg

IMG_2334_zpszynkkdax.jpgIMG_2328_zpsdsjdkr4d.jpg

Here is a picture of the lead placed inside the front fuselage. I placed also the same lead on the other side.

IMG_2335_zps0y8xvt7r.jpg

And a picture after closing the fuselage with some tape and clamps.

IMG_2336_zpsj6loyawk.jpg

And finally two pictures of the second wing done. Maybee you have noticed that I have forgotten to put the plastic bar in for the propellor.

Luckely I can do that also from the other side later on.

IMG_2337_zpsb5nudtiu.jpg

IMG_2330_zps4ycw8i1s.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Your takeover of this partially made kit is coming along well. You are much further along on your kit than I. It looks good. Given your choices of markings, I understand your reluctance to chose one. On many of these big Revell kits, given all the choices of markings, I have contemplated how strange would it be if one half was the markings for one plane while the markings for another is on the opposite side. I have 3 sets of makings for the 1/48 B-29 kit that I want to do, but the space 3 kits would eat up is a huge factor. Can't wait for your next installment.

• Like 2

A small update. I have been looking at the wing to fuselage seam and wasn't very happy. There was a large gap on the underside.

Here is a picture of some test fitting.

IMG_2353_zps79dsp3w3.jpgIMG_2352_zpstjludk6v.jpg

And here are two pictures of the wing seam.

Before correcting it.

IMG_2355_zpsdbwbmvze.jpg

And after.

IMG_2356_zps5cjqwdgv.jpg

I did correct it with some spacers between the inside wing, where it meets the fuselage.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Nice to see the kit getting a new lease of life... I have two of these in the stash along with a host of AM, and still don't have the nerve to tackle one, or the space to display it! :lol: Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I do love these old Monogram kits. They aren't up to date, but with some extra work it can become a nice model.

I hope to do it proud. The display space will be a second problem, but that is for later.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

I do love these old Monogram kits. They aren't up to date, but with some extra work it can become a nice model.

I hope to do it proud. The display space will be a second problem, but that is for later.

Cheers,

I have dropped down to 1/72 for B17's and B24's as run out of space to park them

Cheer's Les

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only just found this thread Arnold, she looks very nice for such an old kit!

The first photo on the contents had me worried at first as I could see some tracks there.....tracks & B-24???? :blink: Then I realised they were for the tractor.

very nice paint job in the interior, looks great. Some thin plastic strip will get ride of the wing gap in a flash.

She sure is big, glad you have the room for it! :D

• Like 1

Thanxs Rich.

There is indeed a tracktor in it. I don't know if I will use it. Would this be used in Europe or just in the East?!

The build is at a hold at the moment. There is still a wing to clean up. but first I Need to do two models in the BoB GB. And there is also still a Do-17 to do.

But I am still on track.

She sure is big, but I have some big space left on a shelf.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I know it hase been a while. I hope to do some work on her this weekend.

The main thing to do will be to clean up the last wing and also do the fuselage as well.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Done with all the cleaning up of the seams. Now it will be important to put everything together this week.

I will put n some pictures when it is done.

Cheers,