1/72 Revell (ex-Matchbox) Westland Lysander

Looking good Stew, really good :)

Didn't know Windsor and Newton do a masking fluid too - which one have you bought? What's it like to use? Bit worried it says on the site 'remove as soon as possible after application'. What does that mean? :)

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce :D - I am indeed suitably jealous, I don't venture out of my scale if I can help it, but I would for the 1/32 Lizzie :wub:

Looking good Stew, really good :)

Didn't know Windsor and Newton do a masking fluid too - which one have you bought? What's it like to use? Bit worried it says on the site 'remove as soon as possible after application'. What does that mean? :)

Thanks Ced... um, I think it means I didn't read the label? :undecided: Actually I think all the latex-type masking fluids carry some similar sort of message but since mine was

1. only applied this morning, and
  2. applied to the spongy bit rather than the kit

...I can probably relax for a while... in my last builds I left it on the Spitfire wings for several days and when I did remove it there were no problems. I got this one but it really is the same stuff as Maskol and probably the same as the Vallejo masking fluid, with the exception that instead of being purple it is almost exactly the same colour as that yellow bile that dogs occasionally puke up :puke:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

That made me laugh! :D

I'm sure it'll be fine and it's just a lawyer covering their bottoms :)

Certainly good value - £6.75 for 75ml (9p/ml) compared to Maskol at £3.99 for 28ml (14p/ml).

That made me laugh! :D

I'm sure it'll be fine and it's just a lawyer covering their bottoms :)

Certainly good value - £6.75 for 75ml (9p/ml) compared to Maskol at £3.99 for 28ml (14p/ml).

Yes I suspect it is one of those "Caution - Coffee is hot" kind of labels that corporations use to armour-plate their hindquarters rather than an indicator of real and present danger :lol:

I think Mark (FZ6 of these fora) recommended that specific brand to me, I got mine via mail order for convenience but like I said as far as I can tell apart from the bilious colouring it seems pretty much the same stuff as Maskol... nice to know it was cheaper but whether I will ever actually use 75ml of masking fluid or whether I will use 15ml and the rest will set hard in the bottle makes the prospect of a real saving debatable :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Damnit, I forgot my update as I was too busy trying to amuse myself...

As I had cut the Dark Earth with cellulose thinners this morning it was dry enough this afternoon to get a little ahead of my schedule and apply the first well-thinned coat of Phoenix Precision Paints (M101) Dark Green:

DSCN3765.jpg

It's definitely a good idea for me to get as much done as possible today as I suspect my capacity for building during the coming week will be pretty feeble...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Stew stop amusing yourself, you'll go blind, fnaar fnaar :D

Your patience is to be admired Sir - well thinned coats give you a much better result than I achieve with the brush and I must start slowing down!

Sorry you'll be 'offline' this week - I'm off too at a conference, not back until late Friday and then we have a mate's party Saturday lunchtime so I won't be capable until Sunday at the earliest so a late start to the BoB GB too - damn this 'other life'! :)

• Like 2

Thanks Ced; it took me years to accept that I had to thin the paint before applying it. When I was a boy I put my Humbrol on neat in one coat and I'm sure it worked fine (fortunately none of my childhood models survived to prove me wrong on this point) but these days if I tried that I would end up with the 'ploughed-field' effect :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I had a 32th Matchbox Lysander - nice kit, but there's a lot to do to bring it up to any sort of modern detailing level. I sold it a local club swap meet a few years ago. (I've still got the Tiger Moth though.)

Re the Windsor&Newton latex - it *is* actually meant to be applied to paper for artistic works, not plastic for modelling, so I've always assumed that the warning is there to stop artists tearing the base paper on their artworks.

And good work on the wee Lizzie - it's looking F.A.B.

• Like 1

"Life, don`t talk to me about life"

Here I am, the brain, the size of a planet, and what am I doing.

Parking cars.......

The Lyzzie is looking great Stew.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Thanks Simon, I hope I'll get a little more work done on it later today :)

Stew nice progress! It's looking rather cracking with the paint on I am also envious of your brush work!

Rob

Thanks Rob, it's mostly a question of good quality paint thinned properly and applied with a half-decent brush; if there were any particular skill required I would not be able to do it :D

I had a 32th Matchbox Lysander - nice kit, but there's a lot to do to bring it up to any sort of modern detailing level. I sold it a local club swap meet a few years ago. (I've still got the Tiger Moth though.)

Re the Windsor&Newton latex - it *is* actually meant to be applied to paper for artistic works, not plastic for modelling, so I've always assumed that the warning is there to stop artists tearing the base paper on their artworks.

And good work on the wee Lizzie - it's looking F.A.B.

Thanks Rob, and thanks for the note about the masking fluid, the warning makes a lot more sense in that context - I couldn't think of a way that a latex solution could really damage styrene but it's not the sort of thing you want to find out by ruining your model is it? :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

There seem to be a lot of "hairy stick" masters here. Really excellent work Stew.

Re: the masking fluid discussion: I use "Talens" masking fluid meant for artists. Same pale purple colour as Maskol but cheaper and in a larger bottle.

No problem leaving it for several days before removal.

The masking fluid to avoid is the Vallejo stuff which has a dreadful habit of sticking like a limpet to canopy frames etc.

• Like 1

Hey Stew,

It looks awesome but just wondering.

Did you spray the Dark earth and then hairy stick the Green..... and if so.... why the hairy stick?

Any particular finish you're after?

Or just your preferred method

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

There seem to be a lot of "hairy stick" masters here. Really excellent work Stew.

Re: the masking fluid discussion: I use "Talens" masking fluid meant for artists. Same pale purple colour as Maskol but cheaper and in a larger bottle.

No problem leaving it for several days before removal.

The masking fluid to avoid is the Vallejo stuff which has a dreadful habit of sticking like a limpet to canopy frames etc.

Thanks Julian, I've never heard of the Talens stuff but will definitely give the Vallejo a miss (if I should ever use up this bottle of masking fluid) :)

Hey Stew,

It looks awesome but just wondering.

Did you spray the Dark earth and then hairy stick the Green..... and if so.... why the hairy stick?

Any particular finish you're after?

Or just your preferred method

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I just find it easier to apply the Dark Earth first and get a nice layer as a base for the Dark Green; the Dark Green I brush-paint because I am lazy and it avoids having to do a complicated masking job for the disruptive pattern, and because I find it strangely absorbing and therapeutic :)

Taking shape nicely now. :coolio:

I think so Sarge, thank you, I hope I won't be delayed for the BoB GB start by more than a couple of days... :hmmm:

That's looking great Stew. I must say your brushwork is exemplary. Would welcome a "how to" tutorial.

Thanks Tom, really it is not false modesty when I say that good quality paint, adequately thinned is my secret, I really don't have any special talent for brush-painting; I use dirt cheap nylon brushes and thin the paint with the same white spirit I use to clean my brushes in... so it must be good paint because everything else ought to give me a poor result :)

Speaking of which (paint I mean, not poor results I hope) I applied the second coat of Dark Green:

DSCN3767.jpg

I think I'll have a look when the light is better to see if I can get away with that or if it needs a third coat... so later it will be either a coat of Dark Green or a coat of Klear to prepare the surfaces for the transfers...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Hi Stew,

The Lizzie is looking really good :). I was at the the Shuttleworth collection air show on Sunday and picked up a Matchbox Lysander for £15 along with a Matchbox Fairey Seafox and a Beaufighter (to go alongside the imminent Airfix release). It was actually a buy three for two offer, so that averaged the price out better over the kits. I fancy a nostalgic build or two but wow I had forgotton just how deep the trench lines are on the beaufighter! I guess that is why the ol' humbrol was thickly plastered on these kits in the yesteryear!

Looking forward to seeing this with the decals on :)

Rob

• Like 1

I'm guessing a 3rd coat of Green.....there's just a hint of Dark Earth showing in a few places that I reckon you won't let go unattended to!

Really enjoying this one.

Top stuff

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

The Lizzie is looking really good :). I was at the the Shuttleworth collection air show on Sunday and picked up a Matchbox Lysander for £15 along with a Matchbox Fairey Seafox and a Beaufighter (to go alongside the imminent Airfix release). It was actually a buy three for two offer, so that averaged the price out better over the kits. I fancy a nostalgic build or two but wow I had forgotton just how deep the trench lines are on the beaufighter! I guess that is why the ol' humbrol was thickly plastered on these kits in the yesteryear!

Rob

Thanks Rob - nice haul you got there too, I've never made the Seafox but I'd like to give it a go if I ever saw a cheap one :)

I'm guessing a 3rd coat of Green.....there's just a hint of Dark Earth showing in a few places that I reckon you won't let go unattended to!

Really enjoying this one.

Top stuff

Thanks Bruce, and yes, you were right, I did a third coat of Dark Green...

Lovely stuff, I'm with winenut... Could do with some touching up :)

Rob

Thanks :lol: Couldn't we all Rob... damn, where is Ced when you need him most?

As suggested above, I gave Lizzie another coat of Dark Green:

DSCN3769.jpg

... followed this morning by a coat of Klear:

DSCN3774.jpg

I finish my shift at a reasonable hour today - 17.00 - so I hope to get the transfers on tonight...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Hi Stew,

Rob

Mmm, Seafox. Nice kit (at least, I thought so back in the day, but that was a long time ago). Still the only game in town, though, I think. Pilot in open air, Looker in his greenhouse - surely unique!

I'm here! Well, in mind if not in body... Score 1 Rob, fnaar fnaar :)

Looking really smooottthhhh Stew, lovely finish. Hope you enjoyed the touching up (fnaar fnaar) and look forward to seeing her with the transfers on!

• Like 1