Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat

Hi all,

This was meant to be a quickie build to fill time whilst waiting for aftermarket parts for my F-4F Phantom in the Britmodeller Phantom STGB. Because i used enamel paints and there was loads of masking, it eventually took a lot longer than i expected!

tn_DSCN4603.JPG

It's the good old AMT/Ertl kit with a Cutting Edge cockpit, Squadron canopy (the kit one was short shot) and PJ Productions pilot figure. Everything else from the box, even the yellow decals turned out OK. It was also my first go of using masks for national insignia, and the stripes were also painted rather than the provided decals.

I will say this is one of the nicest kits I've ever made. The quality is very good, it fits perfectly and needed hardly any putty at all. Very therapeutic!

tn_DSCN4604.JPG

tn_DSCN4606.JPG

tn_DSCN4607.JPG

I decided to build it wheels up as it's a horrendous tailsitter and I wasn't going to spend extra on crappy white metal gear from Scale Arcraft Collapses. The props will spin in a moderate breeze! I did experiment with some home made prop blurs, but it just didn't look as good.

Something a little out of the ordinary - hope you like.

Al

• Like 14

Thank you guys. It is a very sleek shape. I was surprised how very slim the fuselage cross section is. Looks fast, almost the US Mosquito! It must have been the most overpowered single seater of the war years.

Nice Tigercat - sorry to hear about the metal gear problems, mine has worked out just grand with the SAC stems in place, perhaps there was a QA issue in their production? Cheers

Glad it worked for you! I just don't rate the SAC product. They're copies of the kit gear (replicating any inaccuracies or weaknesses in the kit version) cast in a very pliable metal. For the price I really don't think they're worth it... with the exception of the set for the Monogram 1/48 Thud, both previous sets I've used (Trumpeter Crusader and Revell Phantom, both 1/32) have collapsed.

I really like that Cat !!! I have just one question though. Did this Cat see service during WWII or was it post war only ? Just curious.. Bob

Thanks Gremlin and Bob :)

I really like that Cat !!! I have just one question though. Did this Cat see service during WWII or was it post war only ? Just curious.. Bob

According to Wikipedia, it did enter service with the Marines before the end of WWII, but didn't see any combat. This colour scheme is from 1946.

• 1 month later...