Sergeant, Suffolk Regiment, Le Cateau 1914 - Tommy's War 54mm COMPLETED

Just back from my hols and I thought I would jump in with this. 2 months till the end of the GB so I should be able to get it done. Seem to be on a bit of a figure making/painting jaunt at the moment.

This is the very nice 54mm Sergeant of the Suffolk Regiment at Le Cateau 1914, by Tommy's War. It's the first model I've bought off them and I don't think it will be the last. Cast in very nice grey resin, cant see any bubbles or defects. Also comes with a PE harness for the rifle.

Cheers

Segan

tommy1_zpscphog0q8.jpg

tommy2_zpseo8k1ain.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 3

Thanks Chris!

Cleanup and construction nearly done and fairly straight forward. Added a pin to the rifle for a little bit of strength, not a big fan of drilling into little bits but it came out ok. The PE rifle sling is great if a little fiddly and goes together pretty much like the real thing. The join between it and the resin one will be covered by his hand. Think I'm going to paint the head separately and the base is just a temporary work base, havent thought about the real one yet.

Cheers

Segan

tommy4_zpszqohtcrl.jpg

Great start. Tommys War do some very nice figures, I have one in the stash myself which I may get out later for the GB if I have time.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Segan, great to have you here.

That's a nice model you have brought along and resin as well!

Well good luck with the build and hope it is an enjoyable one for you as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wow! thats some nice work there, the uniform looks quite real! There is some nice subtle shading and highlighting there.

Thanks Rich, it's sometimes tricky to know when to stop with the shading; I'm pretty happy with where it is at the moment. Little more progress, hopefully onto flesh tones next.

tommy6_zps9jckxzhc.jpg

• Like 2

No the detailing and shading is very subtle and does look very lifelike! That's something that has always scared me with figurines, but you have seemed to have mastered that, well done!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit more progress. Still lots of little bits to do but it's coming along. Been mainly using acrylics on this but to get the fleshtones nice I had do do a little blending with oils. The beginnings of the base are on the left, little bit of acrylic with a mitered edge, will start adding some ground work to it this weekend.

Cheers

Segan

fusil24_zpsbg7hkywo.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful work Segan.

I'm intrigued by how you get such subtlety with acrylics. Do they not dry too quickly for effective blending?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Beautiful work Segan.

I'm intrigued by how you get such subtlety with acrylics. Do they not dry too quickly for effective blending?

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Cliff!

I add a little retarder into the mix. I use Liquitex Slow-Dri fluid retarder but there are others out there. I tend to do a base coat of the colour thats slightly lighter than the midtone. Then I mix up a couple of slightly darker shade tones and I mix in just a brushful or so of the retarder. Then paint and blend the shadows using those two colours, a bit of water and a damp clean brush to blend, feather and sometimes remove paint. Then do the same process with highlights. It can still dry out if your not too careful and I tend to try and complete one area rather than do too much. The tricky part is if the paint gets too thin then it turns into a wash and although that's nice for some stuff isn't quite right for the blending, although if that happens is quite easy to mop it up with a brush or cotton bud. I've been playing around with mixing the retarder with Klear, Tamiya matt base (to knock the shine back) and some colour to make glazes to try and blend the tones together more or to tint certain bits. For the flesh I still had to finish it off with oils as they have a depth that's hard to beat I think. Hope that makes sense! I'm still finding my way a bit, I used to paint figures a lot back in the eighties but I've only recently got back into it again.

cheers

Segan

• 2 weeks later...

On the home stretch, should finish it tonight when I hopefully have an hour or two to myself! I realised that I had demoted him to corporal so had to redo the stripes and give him an extra one.

fusil25_zpsqi2vnlbb.jpg

The base is nearly there, needs a little more blending and tweaking. Mixture of store bought and homemade grasses.

fusil26_zpse9aztrsd.jpg

• Like 1

FINISHED! I'll get some more pics tomorrow when I have the time and the light on my side! Lovely little figure, easy to build and the level of sculpting is superb which makes painting so much more enjoyable and easy.

Thank you all for watching

Cheers

Segan

fusil27_zpshwbawgpp.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone!

I don't believe no one voted for your Sergeant, he is a brilliant figure. I'm too late for the poll now, but have a vote from me.

Aw, thanks Natter, I don't mind when they come in a vote is always nice!

There was some beautiful builds it was up against and I never vote for myself, that seems a little odd somehow.