1/72 Airfix Spitfire Ia (times three), RAF Auxiliaries, 602 Squadron, 603 Squadron and 609 Squadron, 1940

I've just finished these, the second trio of Airfix's Spitfire I's from my stash built to utilise a couple of the schemes on the new Xtradecal Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Spitfires transfer sheet X72224 here and one from the Southern Expo 70th Anniversary sheet.

The first is a Spitfire I, L1027 LOoA of 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron - as you can tell from the serial the aircraft is an early one, but I believe that (at least some and probably all of) the original 602 Squadron Spitfires were refitted to 1a standards in May 1940 - L1027 is portrayed in August when they were based at Westhampnett, one of Tangmere's satellite stations. L1027 carried a cartoon of a flying toilet as its nose art (and had an unflattering nickname to match... there is a fine photo of the artwork and a brief story of L1027 in Douglas McRoberts' book on 602 Squadron "Lions Rampant"). Ellis Aries flew it to shoot down a Do17 on 26 August and Nigel Rose was shot down and wounded by a Bf110 while flying it on 11 September. It was subsequently repaired/rebuilt and went to 53 OTU, stalled and crash-landed at Llandow on 28 September 1941 and was struck off charge a few days later. Anyway here is my representation of "The Flying Outhouse"*

DSCN3615.jpg

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3621.jpg

DSCN3625.jpg

DSCN3628.jpg

DSCN3630.jpg

... and here is a close-up - or at least as close as I could get - of the flying toilet cartoon with the motto "Izal get you!" on the scroll beneath...

DSCN3634.jpg

* Yes, the nickname wasn't actually 'The Flying Outhouse', I leave it to your imagination to guess what the correct word was.

The second is a Spitfire Ia R6835 of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron flown by Flying Officer Brian Carbury from RAF Hornchurch in August 1940 - on 31st August he was flying this aircraft when over the course of three flights he claimed two He111s and three Bf109s before being wounded by splinters when R6835 took a cannon shell in the oxygen tank which exploded. FO Carbury managed to nurse it back to Hornchurch and landed without further damage. R6835 was repaired and served with a series of training units, ending its days (as far as I can tell) at Henstridge, Somerset, in July 1944. Here is my representation of R6835 during her own 'Finest Hour' in August 1940...

DSCN3638.jpg

DSCN3641.jpg

DSCN3660.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

DSCN3656.jpg

DSCN3653.jpg

The third and final model represents Spitfire Ia R6691, PRoJ of 609 (West Riding) Squadron flown by Flight Lieutenant Frank Howell based at RAF Warmwell in August 1940. On 13 August Flt Lt Howell claimed 2 Ju87s whilst flying R6691. R6691 later served with 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron and 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron so she was a true Auxiliary bird. She was struck off charge on 31 March 1943.

DSCN3665.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

DSCN3671.jpg

DSCN3673.jpg

DSCN3677.jpg

DSCN3680.jpg

As noted these are all built from the Airfix 2011 tooling of the Spitfire Ia which goes together very nicely. There is a rather long and winding WiP thread here if you are interested in the details of the builds (as well as a whole bunch of unrelated trivia :D) and the RFI thread for the first three Spitfires is here...

The kits were mostly built OOB with the following additions/replacements: Eduard micro-fabric seat harnesses and canopy mask sets and SBS Models resin Spitfire I exhausts and EZ-line aerial wire; the paints used were a custom mix of interior green and Phoenix Precision Paints Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky - the Sky and Dark Earth applied by airbrush and the disruptive pattern of Dark Green brush-painted. The transfers as for 602 and 609 Squadrons were by Xtradecal and the 603 Squadron markings from the Southern Expo 'Hornchurch vs the Luftwaffe' set. The Xtradecal fuselage roundel centres were slightly off-register which was surprising and annoying, I have never had any issues with them before and I hope never to again, The Southern Expo decals although 5 years old now performed well.

Um, I think that's about it. Well done if you managed to wade through that ocean of text :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 27

Three beautiful build,s Stew,subtle weathering and that matt finish which I seem to never get right! I was on dust patrol yesterday in the man cave

and realised I had nine of these Airfix boxings in various markings and I,m still not tired of building them!

• Like 1

Well played. Those canopies really just pop. I'm not sure how to describe this exactly, but you have the art, down to a science, of producing very clean, yet amazingly weathered, builds.

Great to have the background stories too.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Yeah I suppose they are.... OK..... You know.....

Could you not have built these after the group build? I mean stew think about the other building these in the GB that now feel they have to reach for your bar! Really how in considerate doing 6 brilliantly turned out spitfires!

Rob (I know I'm so funny! )

P.s. anyone know how long a typhoon can fly before needing to refuel? One is flying round my house and an hour ago it was very interesting but now it's getting a little annoying....

• Like 1

P.s. anyone know how long a typhoon can fly before needing to refuel? One is flying round my house and an hour ago it was very interesting but now it's getting a little annoying....

According to Wikipedia, it has a range 1800 miles so, it depends on the speed it flying at, the altitude and the size of the circle.

• Like 1

Bravo buddy, a trio of super Spitfires. It was a pleasure to follow the wip and look forward to your

build in the BoB GB.

Sean

"unrelated trivia"?? ....... surely you jest!!

• Like 1

Damn, I just spent 15 minutes doing 'MultiQuote' to reply to you all individually and then somehow lost it before posting... sorry.

Thanks to you all for your interest, flattery, kind words and witticisms :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Damn, I just spent 15 minutes doing 'MultiQuote' to reply to you all individually and then somehow lost it before posting... sorry.

Thanks to you all for your interest, flattery, kind words and witticisms :D

Cheers,

Stew

I go nuts when that happens, made me shout out lots of swear words in the staff room last time.... staff were present, what a role model.

Bloody phone.....

Rob

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've just finished these, the second trio of Airfix's Spitfire I's from my stash built to utilise a couple of the schemes on the new Xtradecal Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Spitfires transfer sheet X72224 here and one from the Southern Expo 70th Anniversary sheet.

The first is a Spitfire I, L1027 LOoA of 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron - as you can tell from the serial the aircraft is an early one, but I believe that (at least some and probably all of) the original 602 Squadron Spitfires were refitted to 1a standards in May 1940 - L1027 is portrayed in August when they were based at Westhampnett, one of Tangmere's satellite stations. L1027 carried a cartoon of a flying toilet as its nose art (and had an unflattering nickname to match... there is a fine photo of the artwork and a brief story of L1027 in Douglas McRoberts' book on 602 Squadron "Lions Rampant"). Ellis Aries flew it to shoot down a Do17 on 26 August and Nigel Rose was shot down and wounded by a Bf110 while flying it on 11 September. It was subsequently repaired/rebuilt and went to 53 OTU, stalled and crash-landed at Llandow on 28 September 1941 and was struck off charge a few days later. Anyway here is my representation of "The Flying Outhouse"*

DSCN3615.jpg

DSCN3618.jpg

DSCN3621.jpg

DSCN3625.jpg

DSCN3628.jpg

DSCN3630.jpg

... and here is a close-up - or at least as close as I could get - of the flying toilet cartoon with the motto "Izal get you!" on the scroll beneath...

DSCN3634.jpg

* Yes, the nickname wasn't actually 'The Flying Outhouse', I leave it to your imagination to guess what the correct word was.

The second is a Spitfire Ia R6835 of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron flown by Flying Officer Brian Carbury from RAF Hornchurch in August 1940 - on 31st August he was flying this aircraft when over the course of three flights he claimed two He111s and three Bf109s before being wounded by splinters when R6835 took a cannon shell in the oxygen tank which exploded. FO Carbury managed to nurse it back to Hornchurch and landed without further damage. R6835 was repaired and served with a series of training units, ending its days (as far as I can tell) at Henstridge, Somerset, in July 1944. Here is my representation of R6835 during her own 'Finest Hour' in August 1940...

DSCN3638.jpg

DSCN3641.jpg

DSCN3660.jpg

DSCN3658.jpg

DSCN3656.jpg

DSCN3653.jpg

The third and final model represents Spitfire Ia R6691, PRoJ of 609 (West Riding) Squadron flown by Flight Lieutenant Frank Howell based at RAF Warmwell in August 1940. On 13 August Flt Lt Howell claimed 2 Ju87s whilst flying R6691. R6691 later served with 616 (South Yorkshire) Squadron and 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron so she was a true Auxiliary bird. She was struck off charge on 31 March 1943.

DSCN3665.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

DSCN3671.jpg

DSCN3673.jpg

DSCN3677.jpg

DSCN3680.jpg

As noted these are all built from the Airfix 2011 tooling of the Spitfire Ia which goes together very nicely. There is a rather long and winding WiP thread here if you are interested in the details of the builds (as well as a whole bunch of unrelated trivia :D) and the RFI thread for the first three Spitfires is here...

The kits were mostly built OOB with the following additions/replacements: Eduard micro-fabric seat harnesses and canopy mask sets and SBS Models resin Spitfire I exhausts and EZ-line aerial wire; the paints used were a custom mix of interior green and Phoenix Precision Paints Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky - the Sky and Dark Earth applied by airbrush and the disruptive pattern of Dark Green brush-painted. The transfers as for 602 and 609 Squadrons were by Xtradecal and the 603 Squadron markings from the Southern Expo 'Hornchurch vs the Luftwaffe' set. The Xtradecal fuselage roundel centres were slightly off-register which was surprising and annoying, I have never had any issues with them before and I hope never to again, The Southern Expo decals although 5 years old now performed well.

Um, I think that's about it. Well done if you managed to wade through that ocean of text :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

My grandfather was Spitfire Ace of the Battle of Britain 609 pilot Sgt. Alan Norman FEARY (742301). I love the model you are working on in the photos, R6691 (PR-J), the work is so detailed and the look so authentic. Sgt. Alan Norman FEARY on the 25-08-40 over Wareham flying Spitfire Mk I R6691 (PR-J), Destroyed a Messerschmitt 110C and Damaged another. Although the plane was predominantly F/Lt Frank J. Howell's, the necessity of the war made it so in reality no one pilot could really have their own plane. In the photo of F/Lt Frank J. Howell, if the stars painted on the fuselage represent confirmed Destroyed then one of those stars may belong to my grandfather for his confirmed Destroyed on the 25th August 1940. Anyone interested in my grandfather's RAF service and legacy is welcome to visit his Facebook page; Sgt. Alan Norman FEARY, Spitfire Ace, RAF 609 (West Riding) Squadron...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alanfeary/

12524166_1000368133382523_5525864991370612512248_1086858978027187_4297252147909212963405_1086640871382331_66395637134785

• Like 3