Replicas Unlimited 22" Resin Space:1999 Eagle Transporter

I have not seen anything quite that bad before, yuk!

I have, however had resin that repelled mr surfacer and tamiya undercoats. I find halford's grey plastic primer sticks to just about anything, either decanted or straight from the can, and is my go-to primer if all else fails. It does seem to go on more "dusty" than some others but can be polished up nicely.

I also gave up on alclads gloss black after having nothing but trouble with it, the gloss black is not a primer either (you did prime the parts first, didnt you?)and needs something under it (ie a primer 😃) (( alclads black microfiller IS a primer, and a good one too)). I use humbrol gloss black enamel now if i need a black base coat for alclad metalizers.

I can second noeyedears tip about automotive primer. I always use it on resin.

Another thing you can try is silicone remover. The painted parts look a bit like there was silicone on them. Maybe tihs was used as a mold release agent.

If it is not silicone you can start by two dusty coats of automotive primer (let them dry) and then apply a wetter coat on top. The dusty coats will maybe provide enough grip then.

Rene

well I'm certainly no resin expert nor do I have your experience of troubleshooting Andrew, but like said above, I have ALWAYS used Halfords primers on every model and not once had a problem. I once built a Whirlybirds Kit of the S61NM Chopper which was a resin conversion - the resin was covered in a horrible greasy type clear oil which did not want to wash off in soapy water so I then washed the resin in toothpaste and water, and hey-presto, Halfords primer stuck like :shit: on a shovel. I did use a nail brush to scrub the resin in the toothpaste water but it did not damage the resin - I hope this helps

There were a few kits maunufactured years ago by uk cottage industries ( and badly by those that didnt really know what they were doing ) that uses IIRC something called G22 casting resin, it may still exist and is perfectly ok for certain applications as long as its mixed well. It had an oil base or similar and if mixed in incorrect ratios basically exuded oil for years( or an oily oil like substance) , im not saying this is the case here but its possible i guess....

Edited by markjames68

Thanks for all the advice guys but frankly I've go so many kits that I REALLY want to build, I can't be arsed faffing about with this any longer. Its getting put back in the box and left for "another day"... Round 2 will be relasing its kit next month and I've got one on pre-order from the States so I look forward to doing that.

Thanks for all the advice guys but frankly I've go so many kits that I REALLY want to build, I can't be arsed faffing about with this any longer. Its getting put back in the box and left for "another day"... Round 2 will be relasing its kit next month and I've got one on pre-order from the States so I look forward to doing that.

No worries Andrew - I tried to do a bit of online research into the Round 2 release and found ZERO so I will be keen to see what's in the box that's delivered your way

you could always try some Oven Cleaner or a mild caustic solution , that should strip away any oil or organic based releasing agents that may have been used in the casting process. It shouldn't affect the resin, but I would try it on a small piece first to see if there are any adverse effects (you can always go stronger if the resin is unaffected)! Plus it works just as nicely with plastic, just make sure everything is give a good wash afterwards.

It's also very good at striping paint as well. Just make sure you wear gloves and watch out for the fumes.

As far as primers go, I've found that a lacquer based primer works pretty well, they get a much better bit of the surface than most others, plus even better if the surface has had the "shine" taken off it.

Hopefully you can find a solution and continue, this is just an awesome build!

Thanks for the suggestions but don't worry about giving me any more advice on this topic - I'm giving this one up and waiting for the Round 2 kit to arrive. I've got too many kits I WANT to build to waste any more time on this.

• Like 1

Shame to see you give up on this one kallisti, ive found the best primer for resin kits is Vallejo acrylic-polyurethane surface primer, works on metal as well, did a treat on my whitestar.

Hope this helps with your future builds,

All the best Chris