F-104 Starfighter STGB Chat

wellzy

Actually, I can vaguely remember getting a Starfighter starter set with some pots of enamel paint for a (Bundes)Luftwaffe F-104 a looooooooooooong time ago, in the mid to late -70´s.

I can remember a birthday party of mine - I must have been nine years old, which would make it 1970. I had two aunts from different sides of the family who despised each other. With a passion!!! :D

At the party, I was given all the presents and had to open them in front of everyone. Of course, I had to say how pleased I was with everything, even when it was a horrid scratchy jumper that my gran had knitted.

Well, the two aunts gave me their presents. The first one was an Airfix Starfighter kit. I was thrilled to bits and said so! I mean, what nine year old lad wouldn't be? But there was an odd atmosphere with one aunt looking daggers at the other. That was because the next present I opened was... an Airfix Starfighter kit! :lol:

And once again, I was thrilled to bits. That kit had two makings options for Canadian and German aircraft. The only thing better that an Airfix Starfighter kit is two Airfix Starfighter kits!

That incident might have kick-started my passion for building multiple models at the same time. Today, I have models of a Canadian and a German Starfighter on my display shelves, although they are built from the Hasegawa kit.

• Like 4

Great story Enzo ! :)

When I was a kid I built a Canadian starfighter (the matchbox one) and it was one of my favourite models.

Now I have Italeri's F104C in the stash, which I will build as a NMF USAF version. I intend to buy a few of the Hasegawa ones, to build the Canadian, German and Italian versions.

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
  • Like 1

if I've missed anyone off the list then please let me know....plus I take no responsibility for any spelling mistakes! :D

so far....

1, wellzy - Host
2, Lex77
3, Col.
4, Giorgio N
5, Arniec
6, frankly boy
7, trickyrich - maester
8, gingerbob
9, DAG058
10, jrlx
11, Rob G
12, swat11
13, modelling minion
14, Knight_Flyer
15, Enzo Matrix
16, specky
17, Dazzio
18, vppelt68
19, TEMPESTMK5
20, Pinback

21, Ray S

Hello, I also would like to join.

I mean, a plane for bombing, strafing, interception, ground support and reconnaisance who needs a fair weather fighter?

Oh yes, Robert Calvert will be on the stereo as I build...

Cheers,

Ray

Another one showed up in the garden today so, I'm in. :D

Erdnagel.jpg

I alreade have a bunch of ESCI and Italeri kits enough to make a small airforce and until 2017 there is a possibility that a lot more has fallen down from the sky.

• Like 4

As I have a liking for this rather dangerous plane then I'm in. Caracal decals are promising a F-104C Vietnam sheet what would be the best 48th kit to buy? If not then a Belgian AF one since I learnt here on BM they lost more as a percentage than the Germans :yikes:

After finally seeing (well two or was it three) in real when in Germany I soooo want to build one now!

I just love the look of them, huge engine powering a steel dart with razor blades for wings!!! :wub:

As I have a liking for this rather dangerous plane then I'm in. Caracal decals are promising a F-104C Vietnam sheet what would be the best 48th kit to buy? If not then a Belgian AF one since I learnt here on BM they lost more as a percentage than the Germans :yikes:

If you wan to go whole hog then a Hasegawa one with this extra...

... http://ultra.glo.be/daco/KDCC4802.html (it was meant to be a direct hyper-link but the site is a bit weird), Daco's F-104 Improvement Set!

....a wee bit expensive but no need to bay any extra bits at all. I grabbed one of these as soon as they were released. It's hard to believe they can fit so much into a box like this!

ok as we're getting very close to the numbers required a quick update on where we're at!

1, wellzy - Host
2, Lex77
3, Col.
4, Giorgio N
5, Arniec
6, frankly boy
7, trickyrich - maester
8, gingerbob
9, DAG058
10, jrlx
11, Rob G
12, swat11
13, modelling minion
14, Knight_Flyer
15, Enzo Matrix
16, specky
17, Dazzio
18, vppelt68
19, TEMPESTMK5
20, Pinback

21, Ray S

22, SAU

23,SleeperService

24, Jens

Just two more to go folks, so go nudge a few friends and get them to join in. There's such a range of of schemes and variations for this build that there is bound to be something for every one...from 1/144th to 1/32nd.

He's a man with extra responsibilities now so may only manage 5....

Arrr wee Enzo is all grown up now.....I wonder how long it will take for this "litter" of kitties to send him grey or bald! :rofl:

Multiply that by 5 and you almost have my 1/48 F-104 stash. :D

Jens

so I guess you need to start reducing that stash and this GB would be a great way to start! Care to join us?

• Like 1

Btw, would the 1/12th scale Esci F-104 cockpit be appropriate for this GB?

Jens

I've added you to the list.

Normally that would be a tough question as a non-complete aircraft is not what you would see in a STGB. But for the Bf-110 STGB we had a member build the Eduard 1/4th (?) Instrument panel, which was done very well.

So that has sort of set a precedent, so I have no problems at all with you building one. Many years ago I built the F-16 version, they are so cool to build, so would love to see one in the GB...welcome aboard.

Now just one space to go.......though please remember this GB probably won't start till 2018!!! Plenty of time to plan.........and forget!

• Like 1

if it was right now I would go for the F-104 cockpit or an Italian Hasegawa F-104S. :)

Excellent choice! :thumbsup:

The Italian GB didn't make it through the vote this year, so I will be building an F-104S in the Red Storm Rising GB.

• Like 3