Sensor cleaning - EOS 40D

cmatthewbacon

I can see a few smears on the sensor surface of my EOS 40D. They don't seem to be affecting the picture, but I'd rather they weren't there. Canon seem to suggest sending it in to them is the only way to get it cleaned of anything but dust. So, three questions:

1) Any idea how much sending it to them to do the job would cost?

2) Are there any alternative companies who do that kind of thing? And any of them in the Leeds-Bradford area?

3) Are there an safe D-I-Y alternatives that any of you guys have experience of that you would recommend?

bestest,

M.

hi M,

My personal opinion is that no-one cares about your camera gear like you do - that is why I only let my sensors be cleaned by me.

However if your DSLR is still in warranty, cleaning it may void the warranty - not sure where Canon stand on this.

My D2Xs loves sucking in dust, so I clean it before I go out to an event - without fail.

There are a lot of guides on the net that give advice and say similar things - all I can add is take your time and be careful, very careful. Once you have followed your preferred process a few times it really becomes another chore.

There is a risk doing this yourself - you can of course damage the sensor, or the glass covering it.

If you are not happy taking the risk send it to a outlet with some good feedback - Radleigh's advice re. Park Cameras for instance.

If you do this make sure you have some images stored to confirm the state of the sensor before sending, preferably raw files - if the sensor does get damaged in the shop you have proof it was ok before you sent it.

Also, I don't buy the 'cleaning kits' available or the gadgets you can buy - I just use Pec Pads wrapped around small plastic spatulas with a straight edge and Eclipse fluid - with time and experience I have found it works for me.

Also, with all this I still get dust spots on my shots - I just process 'em out in Lightroom.

HTH & happy hunting..

• Like 2

£160?? I paid under £60 sending it to Park Cameras and they did a first class job..

I've used Park in the dim and distant past for repairs to film cameras and lenses. A good job from them. Never had reason to complain or doubt their work.

But that was a looooong time ago.

• Like 1

hi M,

My personal opinion is that no-one cares about your camera gear like you do - that is why I only let my sensors be cleaned by me.

However if your DSLR is still in warranty, cleaning it may void the warranty - not sure where Canon stand on this.

My D2Xs loves sucking in dust, so I clean it before I go out to an event - without fail.

There are a lot of guides on the net that give advice and say similar things - all I can add is take your time and be careful, very careful. Once you have followed your preferred process a few times it really becomes another chore.

There is a risk doing this yourself - you can of course damage the sensor, or the glass covering it.

If you are not happy taking the risk send it to a outlet with some good feedback - Radleigh's advice re. Park Cameras for instance.

If you do this make sure you have some images stored to confirm the state of the sensor before sending, preferably raw files - if the sensor does get damaged in the shop you have proof it was ok before you sent it.

Also, I don't buy the 'cleaning kits' available or the gadgets you can buy - I just use Pec Pads wrapped around small plastic spatulas with a straight edge and Eclipse fluid - with time and experience I have found it works for me.

Also, with all this I still get dust spots on my shots - I just process 'em out in Lightroom.

HTH & happy hunting..

Great advice from Jinxman, which I wholeheartedly support. I use the Eclipse cleaning fluid as well. I bought the last bottle from an Amazon marketplace retailer in Germany for much less than it costs here.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i agree with everything Jinxman said. Don't use normal lens fluid as it doesn't evaporate fully (or quickly) and leaves yet another mark.

Canon have three approved repairers/cleaners apart from themselves, one in Colchester, one in Glasgow i think and H.Lehman in Stoke. I've used the latter many times and they offer superb service at a reasonable rate (approx £40 for a clean last time). A very honest and helpful company

However, i just clean the sensor myself now. By the way, for Canon, you don't actually clean the sensor but the filter layer in front of it.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi

Most good Camera shops do this service my local one in Northampton has cleaned mine twice and it cost £30 a time they do it with in 3 days they do a same day at about £45.

In Leeds there should be some good camera shops, or contact one of the camera clubs up there they will know the best place local to do the job and the ones not to trust.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Look around for official canon partners... my nearest is an hours drive away and charge £40 for a sensor clean with a one hour return...  they're very friendly and do a great job. 

I always hated the idea of cleaning my sensor myself but sadly one time i was forced to but it was fine as long as you take your time and go easy.

I had my camera back from cleaning for a few days... and the night before a wedding i was shooting i was giving it and lenses a clean using a blower that used to be my young daughters for her hearing aids... someone knocked at the door so i answered it... when i sat back down i grabbed the blower and blew into my sensor... while i was at the door she had stuck the blower in her mouth... so when i blew my sensor her spit went all over it.

I used cotton buds and carefully wiped about to clean the mess then done my best to get it streak free.

• 1 year later...

It used to be that I got my sensors cleaned on a regular basis at various events by Nikon's excellent NPS. There was also an NPS depot a short drive away. But once they moved the service depot to the other side of the country and then I went to live in a remote rural location I decided it was time to do my own. So, Arctic Butterfly and Visible Dust products. Been using them for a long time. They aren't cheap but neither is your camera. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:38 AM, wingslinger said:

It used to be that I got my sensors cleaned on a regular basis at various events by Nikon's excellent NPS. There was also an NPS depot a short drive away. But once they moved the service depot to the other side of the country and then I went to live in a remote rural location I decided it was time to do my own. So, Arctic Butterfly and Visible Dust products. Been using them for a long time. They aren't cheap but neither is your camera. 

I have a EOS40D and the last time I asked about a trade in against another Canon was told £40 so I'll keep to just the diy route for now for cleaning

• 1 month later...