1/72nd scale C-17A Globemaster III

Awe is a word that many have used in this thread, and it is certainly appropriate. Absolutely stunning transformation of such a kit - brilliant work!

Hello Tomprobert,

Impressive, and a joy to see it finished.

Regards,

Orion.

not much that can be said than what the other 3 pages worth of comments have mentioned other than; way to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear! Brilliant work Tom! Well worth the effort and I have no doubts you will have inspired others to take on a vac-form kit. Me for example! :)

Looking forward to your next project

MH

Magnificent result and extremely inspirational! Maybe I have overlooked it, but what wheels did you use?

Many thanks - the wheels and gear came from Anigrand; I emailed them and they sent me a set - they were £12 including postage. The 'detail parts' that the Combat kit came with were more like something off of a Boeing 747 and bore no resemblance to the real C-17's gear. The main wheels were resin copies of the Monogram B-52 main wheels! I was looking at having to scratch them, but thankfully Anigrand came to the rescue.

Tom

• Like 1

The final product is stunning, the WIP was compelling. Tom I can only thank you for sharing with us how you coaxed this challenging vac-form in to submission. It is a testiment to your modelling skill.

Errr, I am lost for words, you would not believe that what you started with is what you finished with, magnificent. The datail to the engine intakes is so sharp for such an awkwerd area and the detail and finish is general across the build is world class. I was once told that you cannot build a silk purse out of a Sours ear, I think you have, well done.

Stunningly stupendous! :):):)

I didn't think a Combat vac kit could yield such a result, but one should never doubt the skill of a master modeller. Superb modelling!

Cheers,

Bill

Stunningly stupendous! :):):)

I didn't think a Combat vac kit could yield such a result, but one should never doubt the skill of a master modeller. Superb modelling!

Cheers,

Bill

I wouldn't say I'm 'master modeller', Bill - far from it in fact. I'm more of a 'trial and error' master, and above all, metaphorically willing to beat myself around the head with a heavy instrument every time I start one of these new projects :)

Holy heck!!!

Absolutely astonishing. Brilliant paintwork, decals are faultless, just amazing!

Looks like it may have been a slightly complex build, was it easier than it looks?

Many thanks - and yes it was a 'slightly complex build' ;)

I wouldn't say that kits like this are 'easy', but they're not the challenge that many believe them to be. I've always said that if if you're willing to give vacs and basic kits like this a go then you'll learn huge amounts and they suddenly make 'problems' with other injection moulded kits (such as, shock horror, a panel line being 0.5mm out of place, or even worse, a gap that needs filling) rather insignificant.

I'm just willing to give them a go, and if they're not 100% accurate then it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Neither do I mind if a cunning plan doesn't come off - it just goes on the shelf for a bit while I have a think and then out it comes for another go.

So to answer your original question: "Is it easier than it looks?" - well to me, probably yes. But please keep in mind that I have built numerous vacforms, including a few from Combat, so the 'problems' I faced with this kit were nowhere near as challenging if comparing me to someone who'd never built a kit of this genre before. If you're a 'vacform virgin' then a kit like this would be enough to put you off for life, but if you've a few under your belt then it'd be perfectly within the skill-set of most vac or short-run builders.

I also appreciate that kits like this are not everyone's idea of a relaxing hobby, and I must say that I've always got a run of the mill 'shake and bake' on the go when I need some straightforward modelling, but for some reason kits like this keep pulling and sucking me in - the chaps at my club are always calling me a glutton for punishment :)

Tom

• Like 3