1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

2 hours ago, thepureness said:

Gary

Don't take this the wrong way, but many people argue that the Mig-31 is possibly one of the best model kits ever produced. I've got it in my stash and at the moment I'm not brave enough to build it as I want to do it justice. But even looking in the box I'm stunned by the quality. 

'Not brave enough' is how I feel also, especially after seeing Mike's superb example. I'm still working up my skills and terrified that if I start it anytime soon it'll end up looking like the modelling equivalent of the one on the right: 

Ecce-Ho

• Haha 3

As for the F-14, I've now settled on starting 'Frankenstein's Tomcat' with the Tamiya F-14A as the base kit, supplemented by details from the HobbyBoss kit like the radar and engines along with a whole host of aftermarket including full interior and exterior PE, the exquisite Eduard cockpit and weapons, electronics and weapons bays, full spine detail, air brakes and wing gloves, and last but not least slatted and flappy wings. Just because.. you know.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm halfway through the details I'll finally figure out which scheme I'd like to paint it in. 

As I said it is subjective and I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I built it but personally (and it is entirely my own finding) it wasn't the 'game changer' for the hobby  everyone seemed to be saying about it at the time. I assure you you will enjoy it and I now have a great (and big) model in my display cabinet. To reiterate however, do get the metal u/c set for it which fits like a dream and is very cheap for what it is. Everyone - build and enjoy the MIG 31 as you won't be disappointed at all.

Gary.

• Like 1

To all concerned here is some good news about the F-14 from AMK. Even though it is not a direct news from them, but still it is as direct as possible.

The Boss of Annetra the Czech company who is behind the brand new 48th scale Mi-17 Hip kit has spent 10 days in China with AMK a week ago. Here is a short report by him on Modelforum cz

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68170&start=11280

In short. He was there and had the parts in his hands AMK is working hard on it.

I am sure when the time comes AMK will be on air with news. I expect they will be more careful with what they say this time.

On another question there was also inquiry about AMK MiG-25 kit. As far as my translating program can tell, work is on but everything is now concentrated on the Tomcat and the Mi-17.

If it is good news or bad for all those out there, everyone can make their own judgement.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

by L. J Annetra» Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:34 PM so I finally respond.  On Sunday I returned from China, where I spent 10 days in AMK.  So I have enough information to respond to the various rumors that run across the Internet not only here.  Thus, gradually:

L 29-It's a little different and the history of the matter begins in 2014. But this is not the subject of this post.

Set US armament-pressed, dekály printed, packing is solved because it somehow does not want to fit into the planned box format

F 14 Tomcat-yes I had a lot of compacts in my hand, I lepil it  "Fast black špuntem ".   I also had a cat from Tamiye in my hand. There have been many changes compared to originally předváděným stampings, and almost the entire AMK team is working to be ready as soon as possible. The aim of the reconstruction is to facilitate the construction of the model even more, while maintaining maximum fidelity to the template. And, for example, the wing with everything "outdoors" looks really beautiful and easy to stick.

Mi 17-Revision of parts and subassemblies, construction was carried out. There is also a need for some proofreading and it is necessary to make the last form, which will include armaments and some other aerials.

Yes, F 14 is a challenging model, which has demanded considerably more work than the Sio originally counted.  As for GWH, I prefer not to comment publicly. 

It is interesting how the attacks on AMK are timed on some internet forums recently...

translated by "bing"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ABeck said:

[...] 

translated by "bing"

Which isn't that bad, as I recently experienced. Well it's a basis at least... 

@ya-gabor many thanks for bringing it up here. I consider it good news, as I am interested in both kits (an one of the people who didn't cancel their F14 preorder. 😲). 

Mr. Jareš from Annetra said in that topic that he had many sprues of the reworked Tomcat in his hand while in China, and even glued some hastily together. Compared to the original AMK sprues, many changes were made to make construction more modeller friendly and keep maximum subject accuracy. He said the reworked wings with everything extended look great and fit is good.

The further said the F-14 turned out much more difficult to model than 'Sio' predicted (no idea what Sio is, maybe a person or company?)

He also mentioned he will not make any public comments regarding a planned GWH Tomcat.

He finds the timing of attacks on AMK on certain forums quite peculiar.

Further mentioned in his post

- the planned weapon sprue pack by AMK - they've run into problems with packaging because the sprues turned out too large.

- Mi17 test build completed, sprue revision underway to include some antennae, weapons.

The next few posts are reactions from Czech modellers with mixed feelings, but pretty much all of them agree that whoever paid for the Tomcat in advance is out of his mind...

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2019 at 3:05 AM, ABeck said:

It is interesting how the attacks on AMK are timed on some internet forums recently...

All they have to do is communicate occasionally with the fans/customers.

Not hard to do really - as we are in the "communication age"...

On 2/2/2019 at 5:50 AM, Julien said:

Sio is the owner at AMK

He has just posted on farcebook that the project continues.

Sadly, little more content than just that, whereas being able to "update" progress would have helped greatly here.

• Like 1

Ah AMK... Could your market comms strategy be any less ideal... 

If I read the above correctly. The main source of the new news is via a 3P who is working with AMK on the development of another kit / tooling who’s happens to have seen the revised tooling and now is letting folk know via a forum in the Czech Republic...

Is that correct? If so it a hell of a way of updating the market..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Although I am skeptical by nature I still think this is good news as I will probably buy both also.  If the delay is bothering then pick another model out of that stash and start clipping parts off the sprue.  I agree that the marketing strategy of AMK leaves something to be desired and I am sorry to hear of the production difficulties but I have enough in my stash to keep me busy long past my death so I am not really worried about it.  But I still placed an order today for more models and would love to tackle that Mi-17 in particular.

9 minutes ago, HartDeco said:

Check the AMK fans page on Facebook. Sio posted a message there a few hours ago.

René

Seen that earlier, good to see but incredibly pee’d off by at least one of the childish replies, which was directly abusive towards him. Who are these people?!🤬

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

Fresh words & pics from the AMK boss.

V.P.

Didn't Mr.Sio ask that we not share these? Only for members of the AMK Fan club on FB. I f he gave you permission lease accept my apologies but I think we should respect his wishes.

24 minutes ago, boom175 said:

Didn't Mr.Sio ask that we not share these? Only for members of the AMK Fan club on FB.

Put something on FB and ask not to share????????

• Like 2

If the fit of the trasparent pieces to the frames isn't more than perfect we will could have a problem with putty and glue... 😉

I always use the "extra thin" for the canopies, hope that works in this case too...

Ciao.

Davide