1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

22 hours ago, Homebee said:

:blink2: Wow... it seems to me that the rear flanks AND the IFR location remain exactly the same since last time I checked those piccies.

22 hours ago, Homebee said:

Thanks, V.P., but I just don't wish to have to read through page after page of the hysterical drama that usually goes on on ARC regarding the AMK Tomcat kit... :sleep_1: 

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Homebee said:

You mean this is still coming? 😉

Looks pretty nice though those slime light hosing will need a little sanding down.

It does look good, but It'll be competing in a busier market and likely get fewer sales as a result of the delay.  I honestly do feel for them, as Sio is a stand-up guy and a perfectionist, but that doesn't count for much when someone gets the urge to buy a competitor's product rather than wait :shrug:

• Like 1

Looks like they've corrected the placement of the IFR panel with regard to the longitudinal axis on the nose? :hmmm:

How brittle is the plastic? I get the impression of it being of the soft kind, judging by the colour of it.

Hope not.

Cheers,

Unc2 

On 4/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Looks like they've corrected the placement of the IFR panel with regard to the longitudinal axis on the nose? :hmmm:

How brittle is the plastic? I get the impression of it being of the soft kind, judging by the colour of it.

Hope not.

Cheers,

Unc2 

Actually, looking at the photos and comparing them to actual pics of the aircraft, they still haven't corrected the placement of the IFR probe. The panel lines around the IFR probe are wrong in their shape. Don't know whether that is because of the placement of the probe or if the placement of the probe is wrong because of the problem with the panel lines.

The parts themselves appear to be test parts. You can see that in the clear parts which are frosted plastic. As far as I am aware, these parts look the same as those shown the last time they displayed them.

Here's a nice pic showing the IFR probe. You can compare it the photos shown in the links provided by Homebee.

US_Navy_030408-N-7986B-005_F-14_Tomcat_a

Edited by mstorin
added pic

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I have no choice in the matter. I have 10 decal schemes to build but only 4 cats in the stash (Tamiya) 😬

Looks like you've decaled your way into a corner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mstorin said:

Actually, looking at the photos and comparing them to actual pics of the aircraft, they still haven't corrected the placement of the IFR probe. The panel lines around the IFR probe are wrong in their shape. Don't know whether that is because of the placement of the probe or if the placement of the probe is wrong because of the problem with the panel lines.

Well, that won't constitute an issue to me for I'd never build an F-14 with the IFR probe deployed.

The rear flanks on the AMK kit, though. THAT would be quite a different matter.

Incidentally; how about this piccy here?

CmAA6Xy.jpg

I'm still finding that same shape (meaning the shape you've gotten tired of sketching red stripes over it on ARC) on the rear flanks of the Temia F-14D kit when looking at it from the rear, with wings on their minimum swept. 

Could it be possible that the AMK kit were alright in that aspect?

Cheers,

Unc2

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I'm still finding that same shape (meaning the shape you've gotten tired of sketching red stripes over it on ARC) on the rear flanks of the Temia F-14D kit when looking at it from the rear, with wings on their minimum swept. 

Could it be possible that the AMK kit were alright in that aspect?

I guess we see different things. I stand by my earlier observations of this area of the kit. AMK has not shown new build up of the kit showing this area, so if they did manage to correct it, then I have not been able to tell.

Edited by mstorin
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The date is  just a placeholder on Hobbyeasy.com

That's why there's the "Yes I know" bit.

But having a placeholder moving away everytime we get close to the held place can only be a good sign, can't it?

21 hours ago, Sebastien said:

And now August 15th at Hobbyeasy.

And yes, I know...

Oh, that date placeholder on HobbyEasy kind of reminds me of the download progress percentage bar, when you see it reads 41 seconds to finish the downloading of the last 10MB of data, but then all of the sudden it reads 2:41 secs, 3:10 secs, 3:50 secs, 4:05 secs, 4:59 secs and so on for those very same 10MB of remaining data... :rolleyes: 

Yeh, me knows... :rofl2:

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I'm quite tipsy, perhaps I'll take the opportunity to write some lines to Martin Wilson so that AMK consider selling those dirty wings as a separate set.

I've already thought of at least two ways to graft those on the venerable Monogram kit, and at least other five ways for the Hasegawa ones.

I'm so creative when I drink, y'know.

Who knows, AMK might as well still save the whole project by selling those wings as a separate set.

Will AMK listen to me, I wonder?

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Unc2 - I can understand you better when you’ve been drinking! 😀

:rofl2: Too bad I haven't got the Tamiya Cat, then. Might have thought of thirteen another ways of grafting those wings onto that kit... :bleh:

Yeh, me might have. 

Cheers,

drUnc2

4 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:rofl2: Too bad I haven't got the Tamiya Cat, then. Might have thought of thirteen another ways of grafting those wings onto that kit... :bleh:

Yeh, me might have. 

Cheers,

drUnc2

LOL! I was thinking the very same. For now I've had to settle for a set of KASL replacements though they only show the flaps and slats. 

On 4/28/2019 at 6:25 AM, Tbolt said:

Looks pretty nice though those slime light hosing will need a little sanding down.

As will the GPS dome. The moulded one looks massive compared to the real thing.

(As an aside, I see that some of the F-14 electronic systems have now been fitted into an F-15, to get that overpriced sparrow-shooter into the 20th century!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, hairystick said:

As will the GPS dome. The moulded one looks massive compared to the real thing.

(As an aside, I see that some of the F-14 electronic systems have now been fitted into an F-15, to get that overpriced sparrow-shooter into the 20th century!)

Just a thought but the “overpriced Sparrow shooter” has been carrying Amraams since the last century and somewhat more successful at distributing Mig parts than any other aircraft in history...

Edited by DarrenH
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DarrenH said:

Just a thought but the “overpriced Sparrow shooter” has been carrying Amraams since the last century and somewhat more successful at distributing Mig parts than any other aircraft in history...

Yet is still a poor 2nd place to the Tom.:devil:

I note a future development of the Eagle is possible, as the cost of 5th Gen fighters increases.