1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

I’m betting that GWH get theirs out of the barn before AMK. 

As long as AMK gets it right it really doesn't matter. AMK is less expensive. If the kit is close to perfection then they'll sell a ton of them which will make up for the extra re-tooling expenses.

There are shape issues and detail issues with their F-14 as it stands right now. Hope for their sake it gets sorted out, because the gossip girls on the modeling forums have their claws out and will gleefully root for AMK to fail.

Yes I'll buy a GWH F-14 too. No plans to buy the Tamiya kit unless it's a bargain and I have cash to spare.

Full Disclosure: I have skin in the game. I paid for a pre-order via IndieGoGo. There's an empty spot waiting for it on my Shelf of Doom - just kidding - I'll build it when I get it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Already have the Tamiya, just started a ‘Final Countdown’ build. But still planning on bagging both the AMK and GWH F-14’s. I know the latter are more expensive but I’m in it for the quality rather than just the price.

I'm with you completely on that. As I only intend to build one or two I want them to be as good as I can get them. It's not as if any of us are short of stuff to build :D

On 11/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

And this kit is supposed to be due for imminent release?

Imminent-ish. 

Jan 15th now according to Hobby Easy... 

S. 

7 minutes ago, ocatlub said:

The title should be changed to SUMMER 2020 perhaps was thinking of spring 2019 but perhaps that is too soon?

If they release the kit now with all the known issues that need addressing they will be taken to task for a “fatally flawed” kit. On the other hand if they release a close to perfect model then all grousing about the delayed release will quickly be forgotten.  A successful F-14D is a license to print money - even in a crowded field. 

Just ask ask the kit makers churning out M1A1/2 Abrams, King Tigers, Bf-109s, P-51s . . . 😊 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 2:57 AM, Sebastien said:

Imminent-ish. 

Jan 15th now according to Hobby Easy... 

S. 

Don't put any stock into the dates used by Hobbyeasy. They just keep moving the date forward to keep their pre-order period open. Has nothing to do with any release date from AMK.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, Nocoolname said:

Are AMK still going on about releasing an F14 Tomcat kit? Tut! What are they like eh!?

Always with their jokes!  :rofl:

Yes, it's an utter joke. Future "marketing schools" will hold this shambles up as a prime example of "how not to do it".

I notice that AMK has gone silent recently...

On 11/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, mstorin said:

Don't put any stock into the dates used by Hobbyeasy. They just keep moving the date forward to keep their pre-order period open. Has nothing to do with any release date from AMK.

Indeed they do : Feb 15th now...

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, colin said:

Does anyone really care anymore 😉

That could indeed be why it has gone quiet!

However, I still have faith....and two on pre-order!

• Like 1

Having got the Tamiya A and D kits,  they are as close to perfection as one could ask for and all the reviewers who have built it say the same. The vast majority of people being mindful of space and aesthetics, don;t want one with everything 'hanging out' or about to 'launch' anyway.

Just like Tamiya did with HK Models and their 1/32 Mossie,  WNW did to the same company with the announcement of their 1/32 Lanc and (I suspect) ICM did with their MIG 25's in 1/48, AMK are too late to the party again and if those F-14 tooling shots shown a couple of pages back are anything to go by, it looks to be not much better than the H-B 1/48 F-14's; much less a serious rival to Tamiya's kits!

Having built their MIG 31, whilst nice, IMHO it wasn't quite the uber kit everyone went on about and hyped in the mags etc. with seriously weak u/c needing their metal set to correct and Revell like heavy panel lines.

I'm more than happy to stick with Tamiya.

Gary

• Like 3

On 12/22/2018 at 1:05 PM, hairystick said:

Yes, it's an utter joke. Future "marketing schools" will hold this shambles up as a prime example of "how not to do it".

I notice that AMK has gone silent recently...

I think when you work on a project where the is invention involved ( such as the creation of new tooling)  then delay and slippage is a reality. If you then don’t make the project a priority as AMK didn’t having ‘real paying work to do’ then delay is inevitable. So the above is sort of understandable and not to surprising. 

Crowd funding your R+D and then still having delays is less than ideal and then when your vocalness on the development falls silent I think you reasonably could assume all is not well with the project. 

Also so in the interim your Competition have released what is cited as being the benchmark in 1/48 kits and you have another competitor announcing the same subject.

It it is however a really good study of what real enthusiasts for a kit will tolerate in their belief the product will be all that is promised. 

I hope that the belief is rewarded with a product that’s been worth the wait and the financial investment. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, redcap said:

The vast majority of people being mindful of space and aesthetics, don;t want one with everything 'hanging out' or about to 'launch' anyway.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Look at all the Hasegawa F-14s done with wings extended and flaps and slats "hanging out". I bought the KASL wing set for my Tamiya F-14A because I like aircraft with slats and flaps hanging out. IMHO, more visually interesting. It is for this reason that I was considering the purchase of an AMK F-14D. I liked what they were doing with the wing. But, as noted, we have not heard from them in quite a while and now GWH has announced an F-14A, probably to be followed by an F-14D. I think I shall wait for theirs. AMK has missed the boat.

• Sad 1

I'm aware that the good folks from AMK have previously responded to posts in this forum, meaning that presumably and hopefully they are reading this and previous comments. If so, come on AMK, please tell us what is happening with this kit that did, and hopefully still does, promise so much.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mstorin said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. Look at all the Hasegawa F-14s done with wings extended and flaps and slats "hanging out". I bought the KASL wing set for my Tamiya F-14A because I like aircraft with slats and flaps hanging out. IMHO, more visually interesting. It is for this reason that I was considering the purchase of an AMK F-14D. I liked what they were doing with the wing. But, as noted, we have not heard from them in quite a while and now GWH has announced an F-14A, probably to be followed by an F-14D. I think I shall wait for theirs. AMK has missed the boat.

Clearly everyone has their own opinion however whilst I appreciate model shows are not necessarily an exact science in terms of reflecting modelling behaviours within the hobby, of the 6+ regional and IPMS Nationals shows I attend each year, for every 1/48 Tomcat  of all manufacturers that I see with wings fully spread (kit or AM parts), I see perhaps 4-5 in the carrier deck 'sweep back' wing position. Given the subjectively iconic subject, there are always inevitably several F-14's on display at each show by which to gauge an observation. Ultimately it is for each modeller to decide but personally, I can't see the extended wings option in the AMK kit clinching the deal for the average modeller who simply wants a 1/48 F-14 in their collection........especially so if they actually look and see what is in the Tamiya box and read the praises which are (rightfully) heaped upon the Tamiya kit.

We are of course very fortunate to live in a 'Golden Age' of modelling affording lots of consumer choice and for a great subject; hence allowing you to wait for the GWH kit !

Gary

I saw a comic strip on facebook before Christmas that told the story this of kit so far.

It was a boy sitting on Santa's lap and Santa asked what he would like for Christmas and the young boy said "World Peace"

Santa replied that as much as he would like world peace it would be very hard and asked the young boy for a more realistic gift. The boy replied "I would love the new AMK F-14D Tomcat", to which Santa replied, "Ok let us look at sorting out world peace"

But in honesty, I'm sure this is going to be worth the wait, but I do have a really good Hobby Boss F-14D in the stash, and to be honest, it looks a cracking kit too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, t15dja said:

I'm aware that the good folks from AMK have previously responded to posts in this forum, meaning that presumably and hopefully they are reading this and previous comments. If so, come on AMK, please tell us what is happening with this kit that did, and hopefully still does, promise so much.

46742141171_4d2dd287e8.jpg

Market comms especially when there is an element of co creation is an easy and to a degree pleasant thing when things are going well. There are lots of virtual high fives and everyone is your best friend.

When things are not going so well then the high fives stop and those friends are In Short supply. So comms are difficult and not easy or pleasant. 

The easy option is to stop communicating and when the project resolves itself start comms again. 

A much harder option is to keep up comms take the inevitable blows and keep pushing through updates and positive vibes to keep the faithful engaged.

if your going to run co creation / crowd funding then the former ‘style’ is a recipie for disaster you’ll never run another co creation  or crowd funding campaign again.

AMK and their associates I hope have learned some valuable insights from this project.

1. Invention takes time.

2. If you promise you need to deliver 

3. Crowd funding alters what you can do and how that perceived.

4. Non communication is not a viable option if you want to retain credibility.

5. Reputation is hard won and easily lost.

Plasto

• Like 4

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:34, colin said:

Does anyone really care anymore 😉

They seem to as this thread still runs on. If you dont you are under no obligtaion to take part.

Thx

Julien