1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

29 minutes ago, feldr said:

And most of it on ARC is a slagfest.....

Glad I've missed it then, other than the Telford announcement!

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

That's nothing...there are 140 pages of it on ARC...!

To be more precise, some 20% interesting and 80% bashing !

I keep on trusting AMK.

Madcop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing I don't understand though, is if the Tomcat model was at Telford

1) why did they announce their intention to show it at a British show on an American forum?

2) why didn't the "owner" of the model take photos of the parts especially the contentious rear end to put everyone out of their misery (or add to it) ?

3) and if it seems that it was only the weapons sets, why didn't they want to bring the whole model?

4) what is their reluctance to show a photo of the whole "almost ready to go" model?

I think the ARC discussion is just bonkers and entertaining at the same time. But the silence from AMK is quite strange too, a lot of increasingly negative "ranting" and they do nothing about it.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just to say that I have the AMK MiG-31 and L-29 and I pre-buyed their F-14D in May 2017, EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO. Meanwhile I've bought the Tamiya F-14A as I have no idea if and when AMK will ever release a F-14A.

As a consumer and as a modeller I feel very frustrated by AMK and I will not "pre-buy" any more of their models.  

It's not a company I would likely pre-order anything from in the future going by the time frame and being kept informed about developments.

As has been stated, why announce their bringing stuff to Telford on a American site when they have been active on BM about the whole F-14 kit for quite a while

They perhaps didn’t want to make a big announcement about it as they were borrowing space on another companies stand and didn’t want to ‘step on their toes’ as it were with people crowding round to see the kit and not the companies own products. I don’t blame them for not replying to all the negative wind, I’m sure they’ll be thinking that the kit will do the talking.

I’m as frustrated as the next person but I suppose it’s only a model kit at the end of the day and AMK are a model kit company not a PR company!

Just my thoughts.

Very true Muzz and without wanting to turn this into an AyAreSee style discussion where every post is quoted and commented on a dozen times but adding nothing to the whole discussion, I think maybe Alclad and AMK missed a bit of a coup - whilst examining the sprues of the forthcoming (!) Tomcat why not buy some paint to go with it and vice-versa.

But, as you say, it is only a plastic model, no one will die if they don't get it or the rear end is slightly wrong or AMK don't reply often enough. I think some modellers (or perhaps "modelers") seem to forget that.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

At the risk of adding fuel to the fire ... anyone noticed the apparent and possibly slight sweep of the intake upper lip leading edges on these test shots? They're supposed to be straight. Can possibly just be perspective since these lips have a dihedral to them (inboard edge down).

pOyIyHh.jpg

s5StksK.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice therefore, to stop anymore grumbling, moaning, argument, missed release dates, if AMK were to release an up to date (ie current) photo and statement regarding the status of the Tomcat?

Yes, I know they don't have to and they're a model company and not a PR company, but there is an increasing motion of dissent amongst their (once) loyal followers. 

Jeff

That what puzzles me as well. I would think that they learned in the process to be more cautious only to communicate when more substance is present on their side. 

May be there is nothing to share for now. 

Considering the history of this development they will not win with this strategy either. 

I preordered and am now patiently waiting. The kit will be on the top end when it comes. If the issues as identified so far will be present in the final kit, I'll correct them. 

I'm lead to believe there is a competition going between AMK & Tanmodel...

Tanmodel: "We are going to faff around with our latest Buccaneer kit, posting obscure shots of bits of plastic we find laying around in the factory, just to annoy modelers.  We'll bet you a fiver you can't do any better!".

AMK: "Hold my beer..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, hairystick said:

I'm lead to believe there is a competition going between AMK & Tanmodel...

Tanmodel: "We are going to faff around with our latest Buccaneer kit, posting obscure shots of bits of plastic we find laying around in the factory, just to annoy modelers.  We'll bet you a fiver you can't do any better!".

AMK: "Hold my beer..."

French saying: "Qui sème le vent récolte la tempête". Who sows wind reaps a storm.

15 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Wouldn't it be nice therefore, to stop anymore grumbling, moaning, argument, missed release dates, if AMK were to release an up to date (ie current) photo and statement regarding the status of the Tomcat?

Yes, I know they don't have to and they're a model company and not a PR company, but there is an increasing motion of dissent amongst their (once) loyal followers. 

Jeff

I don't think they are a model company as such, the kits are made when they have time from their other injection molding stuff that they do. 

• Like 1