1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

2 minutes ago, chrisov said:

Interesting

Please can you let us know what the P&P to UK was

Also, whether you had to pay import duty, VAT and Royal Mail handling  charges and if so how much?

Cheers. 

Mmmmmm, just had an email from hobbyeasy, the kit will be sent in a few days. However due to the free weapons set the postage is going to cost almost as much as the kit, £84 in total!! £40 p&p to the UK.

Order been placed for a year (almost to the day), I may now cancel and wait until it arrives in the UK, could possibly buy two kits for that price.

25 minutes ago, t15dja said:

Also, whether you had to pay import duty, VAT and Royal Mail handling  charges and if so how much?

Cheers. 

You wont know that until the kit arrives in the mail system in the UK. Personally I've never had an issue with this and never had to pay extra.

4 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Personally I've never had an issue with this and never had to pay extra.

I wish I could say the same! Sadly I've had to pay some sort of fee every time I've imported a kit to the UK from outside of Europe.

It depends on the country it's coming from and cost of the kit. I've always had to pay 20% VAT plus £8 handling fee levied by Royal Mail. If it's an expensive kit I've occasionally also had to pay import fees.

23 minutes ago, t15dja said:

I wish I could say the same! Sadly I've had to pay some sort of fee every time I've imported a kit to the UK from outside of Europe.

It depends on the country it's coming from and cost of the kit. I've always had to pay 20% VAT plus £8 handling fee levied by Royal Mail. If it's an expensive kit I've occasionally also had to pay import fees.

I get the impression it depends on the sorting office in the UK, I’ve had many kits from the Far East largest of which was the Trumpeter 1/48 Su-24 Fencer and only ever paid the price of the kit and usually about £10 p&p although I recall the Fencer being about £15. Here’s hoping I’ve not just cursed it for me!

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

My order has been dispatched from Hobbyeasy, the postage was the same as the cost of the kit. If Hobbyeasy had notified me how much postage was going to be I might have reconsidered the order.

Ouch!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen said:

My order has been dispatched from Hobbyeasy, the postage was the same as the cost of the kit. If Hobbyeasy had notified me how much postage was going to be I might have reconsidered the order.

I found the same in respect to the postage which is why I ordered more than one in order to try and even things out on the economies front since the post remained much the same. It'll still work out more costly than ordering from a UK retailer but for me another factor is speed. I have a 'few' (ahem) F-14's in the stash and want to reduce my stock while I'm still able to get a decent value for the kits I let go. So for me, the sooner I get my hands on the AMK and see what it's 'really' like (as opposed to the wall of 'noise' that I've found online around the kit) the faster I can determine which of my stock to let go of in a way that'll still offer a decent return. And hopefully that return will be enough to allow me to pick up one or two of the GWH 1/48 F-14's if they ever appear.

• Like 1

I don't have to deal so much with import duties, VAT, etc. being in the US as there is a deminimus exception (and we have no VAT).  Would the tax/import situation change with Brexit?  Just curious more than anything but it seems like it is going to happen one way or another Oct. 31st.

2 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I don't have to deal so much with import duties, VAT, etc. being in the US as there is a deminimus exception (and we have no VAT).  Would the tax/import situation change with Brexit?  Just curious more than anything but it seems like it is going to happen one way or another Oct. 31st.

Post Brexit I assume that anything bought from an EU retailer will be treated the same as anything now bought (for example) from Hong Kong or Japan - i.e., liable for VAT and customs/Royal Mail charges.....

Edited by hopkp

Wow!

Having just checked my credit card, the price of the kit, including the weapons kit postage, is well less than half of the "other" manufacturer's offering.

I await delivery in a few days time. From what I'm seeing of the current builds, the detail is great. The "hips" will need to be seen in-the-flesh though.

EDIT: Just looked at prices again and it is 1/4th of the price!

Darn!

Edited by hairystick
update of price.
  • Like 1

A quick public information broadcast for the attention of those who have orders with Sincere Hobby and are concerned as to the status of the order. I emailed them over the weekend and received a reply today - my order should be shipped tomorrow, tracking to follow. 

There was a slight mix up though, as the email mentioned that I was entitled to the free weapons upgrade but I needed to be charged postage which would come to the equivalent of an extra £42 (I assumed for three sets, one for each F-14 on order)... However, it transpires that I was not on the first pre-order list and therefore not entitled to the free weapons sets (to be honest, I did not think I was anyway, I pre-ordered in August last year when AMK announced that the release should be by the end of last year). 

Anyway, kits should be on the way to me shortly, at which point given my amazingly ability to mash things together I'll probably end up with a build that looks like a crashed F-15... 

Edited by March
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, March said:

A quick public information broadcast for the attention of those who have orders with Sincere Hobby and are concerned as to the status of the order. [...] 

Hey, that would be me 😉

Frankly, after two inquiries (also regarding my new address (never would have thought I would move before this order gets fulfilled...)) with no reaction I had given up on them. Additionally, what you read as comments on their website is not really encouraging. 

I ordered with them (partly) because they were recommended by AMK for the preorder. So... let's see... 

Big thanks for the heads up March! 

2 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

Hey, that would be me 😉

Frankly, after two inquiries (also regarding my new address (never would have thought I would move before this order gets fulfilled...)) with no reaction I had given up on them. Additionally, what you read as comments on their website is not really encouraging. 

I ordered with them (partly) because they were recommended by AMK for the preorder. So... let's see... 

Big thanks for the heads up March! 

If it’s of any help, I got a response by emailing [email protected] - it is on the site but the Contact Us form tends to be easier to locate, so if you’ve not tried that email it is worth giving a go. Good luck and hope all turns out well in the end. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, Nocoolname said:

I found the same in respect to the postage which is why I ordered more than one in order to try and even things out on the economies front since the post remained much the same. It'll still work out more costly than ordering from a UK retailer but for me another factor is speed. I have a 'few' (ahem) F-14's in the stash and want to reduce my stock while I'm still able to get a decent value for the kits I let go. So for me, the sooner I get my hands on the AMK and see what it's 'really' like (as opposed to the wall of 'noise' that I've found online around the kit) the faster I can determine which of my stock to let go of in a way that'll still offer a decent return. And hopefully that return will be enough to allow me to pick up one or two of the GWH 1/48 F-14's if they ever appear.

I see my CC has been charged 50AUD by Hobbyeasy, which means the box must be quite big, which they did warn me about, to their credit. 

Expecting it to arrive within the next few days.  The whole pre order process with HobbyEasy has been pain free, so kudos to them. It will be interesting to see what the RRP is here in OZ. I'm guessing well over the 80AUD preorder price from Hobbyeasy, so swings and roundabouts

Bruce

6 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

I see my CC has been charged 50AUD by Hobbyeasy, which means the box must be quite big, which they did warn me about, to their credit. 

Expecting it to arrive within the next few days.  The whole pre order process with HobbyEasy has been pain free, so kudos to them. It will be interesting to see what the RRP is here in OZ. I'm guessing well over the 80AUD preorder price from Hobbyeasy, so swings and roundabouts

Bruce

I think mine have worked out roughly what I’d pay at RRP in the UK, primarily due to the tanking Forex rates. Mine were dispatched at the end of last week so I expect at least another 2-4 before I see them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, March said:

If it’s of any help, I got a response by emailing [email protected] - it is on the site but the Contact Us form tends to be easier to locate, so if you’ve not tried that email it is worth giving a go. Good luck and hope all turns out well in the end. 

Many thanks! Will give it a try. I went through the form on the website. 

On 10/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, Muzz said:

Mmmmmm, just had an email from hobbyeasy, the kit will be sent in a few days. However due to the free weapons set the postage is going to cost almost as much as the kit, £84 in total!! £40 p&p to the UK.

Order been placed for a year (almost to the day), I may now cancel and wait until it arrives in the UK, could possibly buy two kits for that price.

Currently listed at Hannants Future releases  £49.99 ( r r p £54.99). Tamiya kit currently listed £84.99.

Allan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Currently listed at Hannants Future releases  £49.99 ( r r p £54.99). Tamiya kit currently listed £84.99.

Allan

Cheers Allan, I had a look at the proposed UK prices and decided to go ahead with my order as I reckon the weapons set will retail around £20 so not as bad as first impression imho.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, pacificmustang said:

I see my CC has been charged 50AUD by Hobbyeasy,

This may be interesting to see what eventuates.

I was charged a similar amount... and today the courier arrived with a box. "Hmmm" I think to myself. The kit is smaller than I thought, and how did they get the free weapons kit in ther as well?

???

It eventuates that the weapons kit was all that was inside.

... and, still a little boy waits...

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

My kit arrived this morning,  a pre order from Hobbyeasy. 

Mine have landed in the UK and are now with customs and this is where the most frustrating part of the process begins. It's not the VAT and other costs - happy to pay what is due; nor even the 'ransom' (handling fee) though this is grating and utterly disproportionate to what is involved and the 'real' processing costs; it is the 'time' taken to process before they slap the charges on top that bothers me. For an item that has managed to wing its way from the supplier through their own customs and then on to an airport on the other side of the world in a few days, the fact that they feel the need to spend a week or more 'handling' the package before charges are then slapped on is what infuriates me. :rant::wall:

15 hours ago, hairystick said:

This may be interesting to see what eventuates.

I was charged a similar amount... and today the courier arrived with a box. "Hmmm" I think to myself. The kit is smaller than I thought, and how did they get the free weapons kit in ther as well?

???

It eventuates that the weapons kit was all that was inside.

... and, still a little boy waits...

same here.

I assume the kit is right behind it.  I can only surmise they have done this as it was cheaper than packing the two items in the one box, although this could work out pricey for you guys in the UK with the P. O handling fees and customs charges