1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

5 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

Still no-one discussing there has the kit at hand. 

Totally agree..........more armchair 'expertise' without fingers on plastic

Anyway, Life really is too short...........glaring errors, fair enough..............but this is quite ridiculous

• Like 3

Fishbone mentioned above has a kit for certain. He's also an extremely good model-maker (and decal producer). Unc2 is quite correct in his advice to stay away as the signal to noise ratio is very low. However the posted photos show an error that would be relatively straightforward to fix. A couple of saw cuts, hot water to flatten out the dip, pack the gaps to the lower half, fill and make good. 

It seems as though a molehill has been talked up to a mountain.

• Like 2

^ but isn't that always the way? Today we have become so spoilt with high quality well produced kits of a huge range of subjects that "we" have become incredibly picky and ungrateful.

Rivets, panel lines, details are analysed beyond the nth degree that really, when the model is built and sitting on your shelf and you've started another model do you really care about the previous kits issues? Can you even remember what they were?

Jeff

• Like 9

I totally agree, when we have a well-designed and fair model, we will look for details to add, or resin kits to complete the perfect model. From my point of view, I'm happy with an easy-to-assemble model that looks like the real thing, that's all I want because nothing is really perfect, just be happy and build the model, that's it.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

So just to be clear, despite multiple posts saying its **se is all wrong etc  - actually, in the plastic, its fine?

TT

Apparently it is not wrong based on the Daco book on F-14. One of the shots in the post shows that. Anyway look at it for yourself. It seems good to me. Or better yet, buy a kit and convince yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

....... Just saying "it's a new kit, modeller should buy it regardless" does not help anyone

Well said. In this day and age where some of us are on a tight budget these discussions help us to decide whether to buy a kit or not. I am keeping my Hasegawa and Tamiya Tomcats (bought before, in my working life).

Regards

Robert

£37.99 plus p&p.

2 hours ago, whiskey said:

Yes but they are not currently taking anymore orders for it until they are physically stocked them.

See it also says limited to 20 per person!

Iam keen but not that keen.

Hope AMK make enough for the rest of us.

Edited by chrisov
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, whiskey said:

Yes but they are not currently taking anymore orders for it until they are physically stocked them.

Well they were yesterday as I pre-ordered one. At the low offer price, I'm guessing they quickly sold their expected initial allotment of kits.

As the saying goes, "You snooze, you lose!"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Julien said:

Can we please keep this topic to the kit in hand, not other kits, and certainly not what happens on other model forums. 

Could you explain us why the very relevant post of Giorgio disappeared?

It's strange that a part of the discussion can stay (the part ditching rivet counters and denying detected problems with this kit) and the most consistent and relevant post in the discussion disappeared.

Edited by plasticguy
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, VMA131Marine said:

HLJ currently has this kit available for pre-order at US$46.99, which seems like a really great price.

https://hlj.com/1-48-scale-f-14d-super-tomcat-avg88007

Add in shipping to the USA and the kit will be about $66. It's a big box and HLJ doesn't allow the option of cheaper SAL. Probably because the box goes over the maximum size for SAL shipping. 

They use DHL IIRC. I purchased the 1/72 Hasegawa Emily Flying Boat from HLJ years ago. Kit is discounted down to about $65 and shipping was about $20. Tamiya's 1/48 F-14A tomcat also cost $20 to ship, so I wound up paying about $80 for that kit.

I ordered AMKs F-14 on IndieGoGo ages ago for $65 which included shipping. I have no idea when it will arrive. It would be nice to receive an email from AMK via IndieGoGo. But it's still crickets.

2 hours ago, Masinissa said:

Add in shipping to the USA and the kit will be about $66. It's a big box and HLJ doesn't allow the option of cheaper SAL. Probably because the box goes over the maximum size for SAL shipping. 

They use DHL IIRC. I purchased the 1/72 Hasegawa Emily Flying Boat from HLJ years ago. Kit is discounted down to about $65 and shipping was about $20. Tamiya's 1/48 F-14A tomcat also cost $20 to ship, so I wound up paying about $80 for that kit.

I ordered AMKs F-14 on IndieGoGo ages ago for $65 which included shipping. I have no idea when it will arrive. It would be nice to receive an email from AMK via IndieGoGo. But it's still crickets.

Yeah ; just like me. Indiegogo ages ago also, ( the sixth of August 2017 to be precise.) same price and free shipping. !  But when I backed the project I didn't think about the custom..... All in all I think I'll have a big bad surprise....Stupid me ! 🥵

• Like 1

13 hours ago, madcop said:

Yeah ; just like me. Indiegogo ages ago also, ( the sixth of August 2017 to be precise.) same price and free shipping. !  But when I backed the project I didn't think about the custom..... All in all I think I'll have a big bad surprise....Stupid me ! 🥵

Don't forget they said that a free weapons set is included to help alleviate the pain of waiting so long for the kit. Hopefully you won't get hit too hard paying customs fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masinissa said:

Don't forget they said that a free weapons set is included to help alleviate the pain of waiting so long for the kit. Hopefully you won't get hit too hard paying customs fees.

Yes I know for the free weapons set, as I've been following the saga on another forum that I won't name but that has more interest in gossip than modelling. ( At least afas the  AMK F-14 Thread is concerned...) 

This weapon set will add value to the declared value of the parcel content , so it won't ease my pain... but add to it.

Now as I see that AMK is "offering" kits to people posting on the forum that I won't name, (and whose main interest was bashing AMK,)  the fact that they offer a weapon set to backers is no more than a peanut in the box...

I have more concerns about this AMK attitude.  

On 11/09/2019 at 08:07, plasticguy said:

It's strange that a part of the discussion can stay (the part ditching rivet counters and denying detected problems with this kit) and the most consistent and relevant post in the discussion disappeared.

Oh do grow up, there's a good fellow :) The posts dissing other forums were removed, which is against the rules here - all people need to do is remain polite and respectful to have their posts kept in situ.  You'll note, if you can be bothered to look (I know, rules are for other people :dull: ), all of those things aren't permitted here.  If that offends you, then we'll be happy to say goodbye.

If you want to accuse us of bias, you go right ahead but at least have the decency to do so directly, rather than as some snide implication.  I will however confirm for your delight and ignorance that we've not heard a peep from AMK for a loooong time now.  Over a year at a guess?  So unless they're communicating with us via telepathy or semaphore (poor line of sight here), we'd be hard pushed to know what they want from us, which appears to be "nothing" at time of writing :shrug:

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Oh do grow up, there's a good fellow :) The posts dissing other forums were removed, which is against the rules here - all people need to do is remain polite and respectful to have their posts kept in situ.  You'll note, if you can be bothered to look (I know, rules are for other people :dull: ), all of those things aren't permitted here.  If that offends you, then we'll be happy to say goodbye.

Yeah, but in Giorgio's post he never talked about any forum at all, neither was he impolite or disrespectful, so it's still disappointing to see it deleted,.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike said:

If you want to accuse us of bias, you go right ahead but at least have the decency to do so directly, rather than as some snide implication.  I will however confirm for your delight and ignorance that we've not heard a peep from AMK for a loooong time now.  Over a year at a guess?  So unless they're communicating with us via telepathy or semaphore (poor line of sight here), we'd be hard pushed to know what they want from us, which appears to be "nothing" at time of writing :shrug:

The post I'm talking about, wasn't about other forums, wasn't rude, wasn't irrespectful and was perfectly in respect with rules (at least those written here).

So I really want to know the real reason his perfectly, on topic, respectful, interesting and consensual post disappeared.

• Like 1