1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

50 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

So, who saw me there?

Forgive me, Martin.  I would still be swimming, about mid-Atlantic...

Did you have a good turnout?

I hope so, as the Tamiya kit, to me, looks like a Monogram clone.  Sure, it has good fit and the ghastly problem with the nose 'inserts' is not there but for $75.00, there should be more.  I hope AMK does as well with the Tomcat as they did with the MiG-31.  Newcomers that start out at the standard you achieved with the Foxhound are a treasure to be encouraged and cultivated.

Best.

• Like 2

On 16/12/2015 at 1:02 AM, Alan P said:

Yes to that! I'd also go for VF-1 and VF-142 from that era.

The low-vis schemes are just dirt as far as I can see!

+1 to this one! One of the most beautiful subjects ever!

• Like 1

Lo-vis for me!  The tactical scheme just says business.  Never really did care for the colorful CAG birds, some of them were overdone and gaudy in my eyes (especially some of the F/A-18s during the 2000s).  I'm just glad to see there are options for both.  

17 hours ago, Hit Or Miss said:

Forgive me, Martin.  I would still be swimming, about mid-Atlantic...

Did you have a good turnout?

I hope so, as the Tamiya kit, to me, looks like a Monogram clone.  Sure, it has good fit and the ghastly problem with the nose 'inserts' is not there but for $75.00, there should be more.  I hope AMK does as well with the Tomcat as they did with the MiG-31.  Newcomers that start out at the standard you achieved with the Foxhound are a treasure to be encouraged and cultivated.

Best.

Well if its a Monogram clone they must have been good in their day, just got the Tamiya one and imho it's brilliant.

Not a ridiculous parts count for the sake of it but a very nice, detailed and well engineered kit..

Why do some people think it has to a have a massive parts count to be a good kit

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, colin said:

Well if its a Monogram clone they must have been good in their day, just got the Tamiya one and imho it's brilliant.

Not a ridiculous parts count for the sake of it but a very nice, detailed and well engineered kit..

Why do some people think it has to a have a massive parts count to be a good kit

I build gear up sir so I don't typically need a large part count beyond the obvious (and usually missed) _STAND_.  What irritates me is the idea that the last boxing of the F-14B/D by Revell had a boatload of bonus weapons, pods, tanks (at /last/) and TCS/TCS-IRST pods with which to do a 1980s mold up with 2000s variant options and _still_ cost only about 22 dollars.

Now, the fit is still cruddy and the details are still raised so if Tamiya wanted to do that kit with recessed lines and typical Tamiya quality engineering on things like the wingspar system (quite clever that) and the slot-lock forward fuselage as well as the windscreen surround, well hey, that's worth forty bucks.

But not 75.  And not 99 at the LHS.

You can buy a 32nd scale F-14A for 140 online.

The choice is you buy it or don't buy it.

I'm happy paying £55 delivered in the uk for a kit that I know will fit together and I'll enjoy making it.

Now if the AMK comes in lower than that I'll probably get one of theirs also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

The choice is you buy it or don't buy it.

I'm happy paying £55 delivered in the uk for a kit that I know will fit together and I'll enjoy making it.

Now if the AMK comes in lower than that I'll probably get one of theirs also.

Our Tomcat will be the same price as our MiG-31. UK roughly £45

• Like 13

On 14/11/2016 at 0:31 AM, Martin @ AMK Hobby said:

So, who saw me there?

I didn't. I was hoping to meet you so I could impart a stern word concerning the shape of my wallet thanks to you. I'd have been the bloke with several bags of models, mainly because I have no self control...

Edited by March
  • Like 1

On 2016-11-14 at 0:39 PM, Hit Or Miss said:

I build gear up sir so I don't typically need a large part count beyond the obvious (and usually missed) _STAND_.  What irritates me is the idea that the last boxing of the F-14B/D by Revell had a boatload of bonus weapons, pods, tanks (at /last/) and TCS/TCS-IRST pods with which to do a 1980s mold up with 2000s variant options and _still_ cost only about 22 dollars.

Now, the fit is still cruddy and the details are still raised so if Tamiya wanted to do that kit with recessed lines and typical Tamiya quality engineering on things like the wingspar system (quite clever that) and the slot-lock forward fuselage as well as the windscreen surround, well hey, that's worth forty bucks.

It's a shame Martin's thread had this added to it. Martin' kit is going to do well.

The Tamiya kit is worth every penny. It is certainly worth more than $40.00.

On 11/14/2016 at 0:39 PM, Hit Or Miss said:

Are you insane?