1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

This is just getting silly now :angry:, and as an engineer I would advise that the view you have elected to illustrate, is hardly the best one to judge any potential alignment issues.

I have every confidence that AMK will get this right, and that the kit will be as good and as well engineered as their MiG-31 kit.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hellduck said:

14316787_10155067319595656_4228824346211

It does seem like there some alignment issues with the intake. But my mk 1 eyeball may easily  be wrong.

What the Hellduck are you doing man...?

Don't you have a stash to build? Hahahaha

:banghead:

4 hours ago, hellduck said:

It does seem like there some alignment issues with the intake. But my mk 1 eyeball may easily  be wrong.

I'm not sure what to make of this comment.  Trolling, or an attempt at humour?  Post one... probably best to not rise to the bait here guys. :rolleyes:

f14-photo-vf213-16xl.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Trolling, or an attempt at humour?  Post one... probably best to not rise to the bait here guys. :rolleyes:

I tried boss, I don't know if its me but this particular project by AMK seems to have attracted an unfair amount of knockers, I'm not saying that it's all been negative, there's a lot of good and useful information from some very knowledgeable sources, and on the whole it's been discussed in a fairly civilised manner, but the red line thing really grates with me.

I sincerely hope AMK take it all on board, and I look forward to seeing something more than CAD images soon and hopefully that will bring an end to the nay saying from certain quarters.

• Like 2

In case anyone cares (which, apparently you don't), Hellduck re-posted an image posted to AMK's FB page.

The concern raised by the person who posted that image was basically: on the real jet, the lower intake lip is parallel with the upper intake lip (and ramp hinges, etc; basically, square to the intake centreline) in PLAN VIEW.  Per their CAD renders, the AMK kit has the lower lip swept back.  If the lips were parallel, the red and yellow lines would be parallel; the fact that they're not indicates the kit is wrong.

Now, ALL THAT BEING SAID, I'm not 100% convinced that the lower lips are perfectly parallel on the real jet.  From a cursory investigation, it looks to me like they could be swept a couple of degrees WRT. the intake centreline.  But for anyone who is wondering, THAT is what is being referenced by the picture.

The thing is the red and yellow lines are added afterwards, free hand using another program, there is no guarantee that they line up precisely with the lines on the CAD drawing, and if they don't line up precisely then that smallest of errors is then amplified along the length of the line, and becomes exaggerated as a critical error with the design, whereas it could just be an error in the superimposition of the line onto the  drawing.

And as ICMF has mentioned there is nothing to state the age of the CAD drawing, it could be that it has already beend amended, I don't blame AMK for playing their cards close to their chest at this stage.

I want this kit to be as accurate as possible and I'm sure AMK want it to be too. With the pedigree of their last couple of kits I'm sure we'll get one he'll of a kit.

• Like 1

Everything has been taken on board and any changes required have been made.

To be honest, there’s quite some work to make a model kit and all the help given is gratefully received but as to the need to report back on every change with a dedicated post and lines on the cad to “prove it” only takes valuable time away from making the kit.

As I said before, we are grateful for the help and you are being listened to.

• Like 11

Hello gentlemen,

just like most, if not all of you I'm anxiously waiting for the AMK release. I hope I won't be too much of a nagg but could I ask any of those in the know if there is also a set of CLOSED GE110 burner cans planned or if we are going to be stuck with the open ones again? Just asking because the open position is mainly only selected during idle mode or in full blower but if anyone intents to build a launch dio or portray the kitty in flight the nozzle position to go with would be a full dry military power mode, i.e. nozzles fully or at least partially closed.

It certainly wouldn't be a big issue or a turn off if there wasn't such an option but I for once think I wouldn't be the only one being happy about such an option.

Cheers

Edited by bushande
  • Like 2

Can't wait for the AMK Tomcat release. The true is the Kfir, fouga magister also the hugh mig-31 aren't really my favory airplaines, but the fit is so great and each build is a great moment for me, so yes I know it's buildable and I hope the Tomcat should better than the mig-31.

Do you planning some exotic airplaine Martin? as the Viggen family?

On 2016-10-10 at 11:49 AM, hellduck said:

14316787_10155067319595656_4228824346211

I first thought you were on Tamiya's payroll but they would never be that stupid hiring you to demoralize the competition....... The intake trunks are not a right angle to the ground.... You have drawn a straight line in 2d..... Do the math....

Edited by Matt Kaeck

1 hour ago, Matt Kaeck said:

they would never be that stupid hiring you to demoralize the competition....... The intake trunks are not a right angle to the ground

You have absolutely no idea what you're looking at, do you?  Oh, irony!

• Like 1

I think we made the point, Martin has heard, and if it requires, changes will be made. Might not, again all good.

All the rest, is useless...

I wonder, are we rude by nature and find web as a way to demonstrate that, or it is the web anonymity that drives us mad (including myself)..

Edited by DIO

• 4 weeks later...

LAU-138 BOL

_FOUR_ LAU-7 on correct glove upper pylon

ROVER datalink antenna for Phoenix Pallet

Optics detail (even just a decal) inside TCS barrel

TCS/IRST in clear or with clear optics barrels.

ECA Enhanced Chaff Adaptor

ALQ-167 Bullwinkle ECM Augment

Optional AAAM Pallet

Optional High Power SARH Illuminator Pod

Correct fin spacing trough inserts for AIM-7M/MH and E/F

TARPS-CD (R) (there is an extra rear cockpit side console panel to run the digital camera with)

Optional PTID and Hand Controller for late era D-Bombcats

VF-2 low viz markings with grey sash

VF-1 reduced visibility (small pinstripe, small star and bar) LGG markings

VF-111 full-tail low viz sunset markings

VF-84 'White' Markings

Optional Sparrowhawk HUD

Iraq Mission Markings

AIMVAL Markings (Splinter Scheme Masks Or Template)

Optional Ladyfinger Emulator quads

Optional SS-2D 'AGILE' Emulator

Optional VTAS helmet

Optional TVSU optics barrel

F110 with complete inner/outer sleeves

Positive Fit/Jig Keys for Flaps/Slats/Gear Doors

AIM-9P, Iran

AIM-23, Iran

Clear Navlights

Navlight and Canopy/Windscreen Masks In-Box

AAQ-25 LDS In-Box

Correct GPS Antenna

Pilot/RIO

PE Belts Compatible With Pilot/RIO

Separate Slime Lights and Decals (install after main assembly)

Positive Fit between nose and fuselage

Instrument Panels with drilled bezel holes, clear acetate backing, decal and black rear piece.

General thoughts...

Edited by Hit Or Miss