1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

Hi Martin,

Consider one of the coolest F-14 schemes, VF-33 "Starfighters" on "USS America"

F-14A_VF-33_Starfighter_Paint_Scheme.jpe

Yes to that! I'd also go for VF-1 and VF-142 from that era.

The low-vis schemes are just dirt as far as I can see!

• Like 1

yes, but you aren't the target market for this new kit :) you are a "hardcore" modeller, so you will buy it no matter what decal/boxart it comes with... it has to also appeal to new customers who maybe haven't bought a Tomcat kit before!

so imagine if you are a teenage boy who sees this new AMK F-14 Tomcat at the hobby store... would you buy VF-84 or VF-114?

Gentlemen... Unlike Revell's trend to put only one option in the box, I'm sure AMK will have a few decal schemes in the box.

Would be great to see some less 'famous' schemes/units kitted. Even if they have to have a more famous unit on the box to sell it!

• Like 2

Absolutely no need, Martin.

I only mean that when I was a teen-ager, that kind of kit would have been far out of reach of my pocket money.

As an adult, I know that I'll get it as soon as it reach the LHS.

It's à tomcat after all!

I just hope for a few not-too-common colour scheme.

• Like 1

Sundowners, Iranian, Adversary aircraft would be good ! But hang on that means I would have to get three !!!!

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

But there are already so many available after market decals for that bird.

I can't see why is it such a big deal what will AMK provide with it!

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=F-14+tomcat+1/48+decals&biw=1344&bih=696&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAk7LEg4PKAhXmF6YKHX0FB3cQ_AUIBigB

By the way, I think that F-14 had been the most beautiful bird, until Su-27 appeared!

Edited by DIO

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=F-14+tomcat+1/48+decals&biw=1344&bih=696&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAk7LEg4PKAhXmF6YKHX0FB3cQ_AUIBigB

By the way, I think that F-14 had been the most beautiful bird, until Su-27 appeared!

True, there are/were a lot of decals available.

Many of those sheets are now OOP, outdated, sized for a certain kit, very very old (could shatter or not stick) and even though there is a dazzling variety, some units still did not get fair representation!

I'm not too fussed what they release it with, but it would be good to have at least one of the less 'famous' schemes & sqyadrons represented.

• Like 1

As Parabat says, there's quite a few schemes not available for one reason or another.

I'm still looking for CAG VF-51 decals (multi-coloured stripes on black fins), VF-301 (was done but now oop) and specific VF-111 and VF-1schemes. I can dream I suppose ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

True, there are/were a lot of decals available.

Many of those sheets are now OOP, outdated, sized for a certain kit, very very old (could shatter or not stick) and even though there is a dazzling variety, some units still did not get fair representation!

Indeed!

And the F-14 is not alone in this case, same for USN F-4, F-8, A-4, A-6, A-7 for exemple.

yes, but you aren't the target market for this new kit :) you are a "hardcore" modeller, so you will buy it no matter what decal/boxart it comes with... it has to also appeal to new customers who maybe haven't bought a Tomcat kit before!

so imagine if you are a teenage boy who sees this new AMK F-14 Tomcat at the hobby store... would you buy VF-84 or VF-114?

Please keep in mind that there is room for more than one version on one decalsheet and it will always be wise to appeal to a broad selection of buyers. So the aardvark option seems not so bad....?

Reg. Jeroen

• 2 months later...