1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

1 hour ago, t15dja said:

...don't forget delivery charges, import duties / VAT and UK Post Office handling charge....

Indeed, as you say, but still not a bad starting price... If I remember correctly there are no import duties on plastic models,(I stand to be corrected) just VAT and the PO handling charge which should add on about £20?

Does anyone have any further update on when it will actually be released please?

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Meteorologically 15 December is winter in the UK, so we missed the summer deadline ...and indeed the autumn 🤔

Still happy to wait, though!

A Cat test model and its armemement - see infos herebelow - on display this weekend at Hong Kong (link) alongside some test sprues from the future Annetra Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 kit (link)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1001193059922345/permalink/2381690168539287/

Martin Wilson: The model shown is part 3D printed. It’s mold 1 and we are on mold 4. 
No basis of comparison the current kit. (...)

45795712.jpg

mmexport154.jpg

mmexport15.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Over on the ARC forum, regarding the Telford show and F-14D kit samples, Martin posted "The plastic I showed was on the Alclad II stand with Mick Burr and Mark Davey et al."

Did anyone who went to the show see any of these samples?

15 hours ago, mstorin said:

Over on the ARC forum, regarding the Telford show and F-14D kit samples, Martin posted "The plastic I showed was on the Alclad II stand with Mick Burr and Mark Davey et al."

No,

I don't use Alclad so didn't go near their stand. I would have liked to have seen the plastic I paid for last year.

15 hours ago, mstorin said:

No tried to find the kit by walking several times around each hall, but too no avail. Also not an Alclad user so did not go to their stand. Last time that AMK showed some stuff at Telford (MiG-31 I think) it was one the Hannants stand, but nothing there either.

I too don't use Alclad so walked past their stand several times. Had I known the F-14 was there I would of course have loved to have taken a look.

What a shame there wasn't a prior announcement (a) that the tomcat was there and (b) where it could be viewed. 

AMK missed a trick there....could have increased their sales, especially since there were at least 4 built up Tamiya F-14s to compare with just a short distance away.

• Like 1

Is it me or a trick of light or does something look distinctly 'odd' between the rear of the wings and the exhausts? Where the tail planes pivot. It looks far too 'rounded'??

It appears to curve out then back in again? It should be pretty straight along there if I'm correct?  Really hope its a trick of the light.....

And no, I didn't notice it a Telford at the weekend either...

Edited by keithjs

41 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Is it me or a trick of light or does something look distinctly 'odd' between the rear of the wings and the exhausts? Where the tail planes pivot. It looks far too 'rounded'??

It appears to curve out then back in again? It should be pretty straight along there if I'm correct?  Really hope its a trick of the light.....

On the Official AMK Fan Club (Facebook), where the same question came up, and the profile is indeed correct when compared with photos.

41 minutes ago, keithjs said:

AMK on top. Tamiya fuselage on bottom. The rear fuselage has some very complex shapes and angles/lighting can cause the rear to look funny in photos. That being said look at the shape of the elevators on the real Tomcat. Also photos of F-14 plastic appears that opposite side is straight!?!?!????

1395480d1437846531-defender-fleet-grumma

Notice how the rear sides curve?

45428166_10156192121677701_2860738992716_f4a7019.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Masinissa said:

AMK on top. Tamiya fuselage on bottom. The rear fuselage has some very complex shapes and angles/lighting can cause the rear to look funny in photos. That being said look at the shape of the elevators on the real Tomcat. Also photos of F-14 plastic appears that opposite side is straight!?!?!????

Notice how the rear sides curve?

In actuality, the shape, looking from the top, from the first panel line after the air bag to the just above the stab pivot, is a straight line. This is true of all F-14 versions, A, B and D. The most recent AMK kit parts we've seen come very close but still have a bit of a curve there. In addition, on all F-14s there is a "bump" over the stab pivot point. It is subtle but there. It is missing altogether on the AMK kit part. Hasegawa and Tamiya modeled both the straight area and the bump correctly. I am not sure if the parts we've seen pictures of are final or if there are newer, updated parts. AMK has not posted any pics of the final production kit that I am aware of.  I am not talking about the pics of the assembled model which is either a very early version of the kit or a 3D printing.

Many were hoping to see up to date, final production parts at the Telford show, which Martin, a spokes-person for AMK, stated would be occurring. Evidently the only parts that were shown were the weapons set and those at the Alclad II table.

I am sure some of you may have been following the thread over on ARC. Some perhaps with a chuckle, some with dismay. Suffice it to say that some of us are simply trying to find out if there are or are not actual problems with the kit. 

When / where did Martin say that final production parts would be at Telford? I would love to have known that in advance and seen the parts. In an earlier post on this website I made reference that it would be nice to see something at Telford (or something like that),  but I don't recall that a response was forthcoming.

22 minutes ago, mstorin said:

In actuality, the shape, looking from the top, from the first panel line after the air bag to the just above the stab pivot, is a straight line. This is true of all F-14 versions, A, B and D. The most recent AMK kit parts we've seen come very close but still have a bit of a curve there. In addition, on all F-14s there is a "bump" over the stab pivot point. It is subtle but there. It is missing altogether on the AMK kit part. Hasegawa and Tamiya modeled both the straight area and the bump correctly. I am not sure if the parts we've seen pictures of are final or if there are newer, updated parts. AMK has not posted any pics of the final production kit that I am aware of.  I am not talking about the pics of the assembled model which is either a very early version of the kit or a 3D printing.

Many were hoping to see up to date, final production parts at the Telford show, which Martin, a spokes-person for AMK, stated would be occurring. Evidently the only parts that were shown were the weapons set and those at the Alclad II table.

I am sure some of you may have been following the thread over on ARC. Some perhaps with a chuckle, some with dismay. Suffice it to say that some of us are simply trying to find out if there are or are not actual problems with the kit. 

Thanks for all the info and particularly the thread on ARC (I didn't know about that one) I guess we'll all have to wait and see when the actual kit is released rather than basing thoughts

and opinions on what are obviously pre production parts.  

27 minutes ago, t15dja said:

When / where did Martin say that final production parts would be at Telford? I would love to have known that in advance and seen the parts. In an earlier post on this website I made reference that it would be nice to see something at Telford (or something like that),  but I don't recall that a response was forthcoming.

It wasn't here in Britmodeler. It was on ARC on Nov 5th. He stated "I have posted comparison pictures on facebook. I'll be taking samples to Telford. If you're there you can see for yourself."

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the thread and to the page where the "discussion" of the perceived problems began. It is long and tortuous reading but there is some useful information to be gleaned from it.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&page=114

• Like 1

Oh that's a shame....   I don't follow ARC. 

So,  nothing to the same effect posted here on Britmodeller, even though there are currently 35 pages of comments on the AMK F-14?

18 minutes ago, t15dja said:

So,  nothing to the same effect posted here on Britmodeller, even though there are currently 35 pages of comments on the AMK F-14?

That's nothing...there are 140 pages of it on ARC...!