1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

Excellent news!

Such a shame we can't pre-order here in the UK. 

Even so I'll have at least 2 when I can get them!

1 minute ago, t15dja said:

Excellent news!

Such a shame we can't pre-order here in the UK. 

Even so I'll have at least 2 when I can get them!

I've 2 pre-ordered at Hannants, no payment taken as yet though.

I'm looking forward to this as much as I am the Tamiya kit. Great time to be an F-14 fan. I just fear that the for the foreseeable future the bench may just comprise F-14s and nothing else! I may get building something else now before they are released :lol:

So dissapointing that there is still no officail UK distributor, I know Hannants have it listed and I have pre ordered from them but dont if this comes with the 'extras'.

Did try emailing Hannants on this subject but no reply.....

Hopefully the situation will be resolved soon.

8 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

@DaveJL does that mean your pre orders are ‘illegal’ ? 

Is there no official UK importer for AMK then? 

For their pre-order campaign AMK worked together with certain shops / distributors. Everyone pre-ordering there is getting the lower rates (backed by AMK) and the ordonnance set. If one has pre-ordered elsewhere, those do not apply / are on the discretion of the shop alone. 'Illegal pre-orders' is a bit heavy imo. As long as the shop hasn't implied this is the official AMK pre-order campaign.

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

Griping about the box-art? You squakers don't deserve a new Tomcat. 

True, however if a company signs off/approves then publishes a potentially mechanically incorrect boxart, one has an excuse to be worried that they don’t fully understand the features/workings of the plane which could then reflect badly or transfer onto the plastic contained therein...  

but then again its just a plastic aeroplane that could be hung from a 12 year olds ceiling... 

:) 

13 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

For their pre-order campaign AMK worked together with certain shops / distributors. 

I hope that Sincere Hobby was one of those shops, because this was on the original list of places to pre-order, but now it is not.

• Like 1

I'm trying to confirm that Hobby Easy are on their dealership list.

They still have the kit as "pre-order" on the HE website, but at normal retail prices now. My order is quite a bit cheaper because of the original "pre-order" offer (almost a year ago now!).

23 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

For their pre-order campaign AMK worked together with certain shops / distributors. Everyone pre-ordering there is getting the lower rates (backed by AMK) and the ordonnance set. If one has pre-ordered elsewhere, those do not apply / are on the discretion of the shop alone. 'Illegal pre-orders' is a bit heavy imo. As long as the shop hasn't implied this is the official AMK pre-order campaign.

Sounds all a bit like a new marketing disaster to me.... :(

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Sounds all a bit like a new marketing disaster to me.... :(

It was never a marketing campaign. They were trying to raise funds to pay for a production run at the plastics factory. AMK is not Tamiya or any of the other big manufacturers. They have to contract the molding out to get it printed into plastic. Money's tight for them. 

IIRC they needed/wanted to get about 5,000 preorders. You paid up front and waited for the kit, unlike when you preorder at Hannants where they just put you on a list and they charge you when the kit comes out.

Is this a marketing disaster? 

Once the kit is released this summer all of this will be water under the bridge. AMK's F-14D will retail for close to what Tamiya's F-14D retails for on eBay (~$80) and will sell like hotcakes. Now we have a choice of 1/48 Tomcats.

I ordered mine through their IndieGoGo campaign. Wish now that I ordered two. So far the sprue shots do not disappoint. 

It's great to see the kit come out and see the little guy win.

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Masinissa said:

It was never a marketing campaign. They were trying to raise funds to pay for a production run at the plastics factory. AMK is not Tamiya or any of the other big manufacturers. They have to contract the molding out to get it printed into plastic.

1. It absolutely is a marketing campaign.  A poorly communicated and horrendously executed one, but a marketing campaign nonetheless.  (as evidenced by the fact that people STILL don't have any idea whether their pre-orders will be honoured or not)  

2. AMK IS A FACTORY.  AMK was started because a factory, which had been tooling kits for an existing Chinese model company, decided they could make money in the downtime between paying customers by producing their own kits in-house.  "AMK" Is a plastic factory first, and a model company second.  Which is why the F-14 has taken so long to release: they've had paying customers taking up resources, and they didn't want to turn away that guaranteed money for a riskier, in-house project.  And that is why they did the pre-orders.  Because if they pre-sold enough kits, they'd be guaranteed to make as much (or more) as they would if they'd made electric toothbrush handles for someone else.

Edited by ICMF

I've just had it confirmed that HobbyEasy.com is a confirmed supplier and my order will happen! Woohoo!

On 6/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, Masinissa said:

AMK's F-14D will retail for close to what Tamiya's F-14D retails for on eBay (~$80) and will sell like hotcakes. Now we have a choice of 1/48 Tomcats.

Looking at my local situation* and pre orders for the Tamiya F-14D are almost TWICE the price of the AMK offering.

* Other situations are available.

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

I've just had it confirmed that HobbyEasy.com is a confirmed supplier and my order will happen! Woohoo!

Looking at my local situation* and pre orders for the Tamiya F-14D are almost TWICE the price of the AMK offering.

* Other situations are available.

Is the price increase because of VAT? I had a gentleman buy a kit from me that I offered on eBay he lived in the EU. He told me how much VAT and customs fees were added to his kit price. It doubled the price he paid to me for the kit.

Right now the Trump Tax on Imports (from our allies like Japan) haven't kicked in yet. When they do then we'll eventually be paying a lot more for imported kits from China, Japan and the EU.  The salad days are over.

Edited by Masinissa

On 6/29/2018 at 4:30 PM, ICMF said:

1. It absolutely is a marketing campaign.  A poorly communicated and horrendously executed one, but a marketing campaign nonetheless.  (as evidenced by the fact that people STILL don't have any idea whether their pre-orders will be honoured or not)  

2. AMK IS A FACTORY.  AMK was started because a factory, which had been tooling kits for an existing Chinese model company, decided they could make money in the downtime between paying customers by producing their own kits in-house.  "AMK" Is a plastic factory first, and a model company second.  Which is why the F-14 has taken so long to release: they've had paying customers taking up resources, and they didn't want to turn away that guaranteed money for a riskier, in-house project.  And that is why they did the pre-orders.  Because if they pre-sold enough kits, they'd be guaranteed to make as much (or more) as they would if they'd made electric toothbrush handles for someone else.

But is that a problem? All we need to do is wait a while. As somebody said it is great to see the little guy win.

And electric toothbrushes are excellent too - not just for teeth but for getting dust out of all the F-14 nooks and crannies after sanding, But I'll bet not much sanding will be required (and to be fair the same goes for the Tamiya F-14 which is a joy - mine's wheels up and everything still pretty much fits perfectly despite that's it's not an 'official' option).

My AMK Mig-25 was a great build and I'll bet ya a Hasegawa F-14 this one will be too.

• 1 month later...

I last heard that UMP were the UK distributor for AMK kits but might be a year out of date.

Bought the AMK Foxhound and the later metal etc goodies box for it, and am very impressed. 

The Tomcat holds much promise but I've heavily invested in a 1/32 Trumpy D with Zacto inlets so don't know if I can justify buying the AMK. Rave reviews might swing it.

Tony