1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

I would counsel the good folks of Britmodeller against going into rant mode however as that never ends well.  I'd also remind people that it is a model kit and not the saviour of all mankind, so let's put it in perspective.  In the grand scheme of things these little bits of plastic we all care so dearly about, and some get a little too over-excited about when things don't go the way they think they should, they don't make one tiny scrap of difference to anyone outside the hobby.  It's most definitely not worth getting angry about, nor falling out with fellow members over as that's not what right-thinking folks do.  Also, if you don't like one manufacturer's F-14, there are plenty more out there to pick over :shrug:

I'm sure 99.9% of our members didn't need to hear that, but to the 0.1% please take heed :)

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I would counsel the good folks of Britmodeller against going into rant mode however as that never ends well.  I'd also remind people that it is a model kit and not the saviour of all mankind, so let's put it in perspective.  In the grand scheme of things these little bits of plastic we all care so dearly about, and some get a little too over-excited about when things don't go the way they think they should, they don't make one tiny scrap of difference to anyone outside the hobby.  It's most definitely not worth getting angry about, nor falling out with fellow members over as that's not what right-thinking folks do.  Also, if you don't like one manufacturer's F-14, there are plenty more out there to pick over :shrug:

I'm sure 99.9% of our members didn't need to hear that, but to the 0.1% please take heed :)

Couldn't agree more.....it's only a hobby, after all!

The kit will eventually be released, some will love it and some will hate it and then the world will move on to whatever is the next Tomcat kit.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally AMK have published pics for everyone to see on their Facebook page. Not on the closed members only page.

I ordered one off the Indiegogo page but that was two years ago and I have never received an update. Maybe they still have the information to ship me the kit?

65507696_1280226405475517_89644684962640

65999810_1280226442142180_19761286048068

64619254_1280226332142191_17076447660002

65385099_1278658348965656_30042691547074

From June 30th! Guess no one has been watching for updates:shrug:

Edited by Masinissa
  • Like 3

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1001193059922345/permalink/2914808368560795/

Martin Wilson

Admin · June 29 at 10:46 AM

Exclusive from Sio SeiHoi at MALCOM this weekend.

Canopy. Click together no glue required.
Molded Inside Omega shape. First time ever on a kit as all others are pretty flat on the sides.
This is the only correct Canopy in any scale.
You're welcome.

$64832570-2336930579734029-64092402382326 65248511-2336930619734025-30298023057854

65946902-2336930726400681-61042413390947 65470389-2336930673067353-45773338306118

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

On 7/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, Masinissa said:

Well finally AMK have published pics for everyone to see on their Facebook page. Not on the closed members only page.

I ordered one off the Indiegogo page but that was two years ago and I have never received an update. Maybe they still have the information to ship me the kit?

That really is bad company service by AMK

On 7/26/2019 at 2:22 AM, Masinissa said:

Shoot them an email. 

I touched bases w/ my vendor last December to make sure I was still on his list for whenever they arrive.  Patiently waiting...mostly because it'll likely be sitting in the stash for a while until I get around to it anyways.  :lol:

On 7/28/2019 at 5:22 AM, Chic said:

The real end not so convincing. Odd shape.

Uh-huh... the real end is still quite off. But you know I've got the gift of the second sight whenever I drink my Indian Pale Ale brews in the weekend before turning in.

Well? I had this dream of the Hypersonic Models' manufacturer owner having the idea to devise a resin correction bit for the offending real end on the AMK cat kit.

Unfortunately, and this was also in my dream; for that to happen, Jeffrey still needed the kit to be released first, yeh?

So it's up to how long will it take to AMK to release their kit so that we have a correction set for the fat-bottomed cat.

Yeh, it is.

Cheers,

Unc2

Well, I cannot tell anything is wrong just by looking at it so, the kit is therefore accurate according to my TLARTM (That Looks About Right To Me) charts.. I will probably buy this one in preference to the Tamiya kit largely because I like modelling aircraft in "dirty" configuration and, Tamiya lacks that option

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

the kit is therefore accurate according to my TLARTM (That Looks About Right To Me) charts. 

Allan, you should go to the workshop and have your TLARTM calibrated. :lol: The IFR panel is off, and the rear end is so wide actually three to four people were able to sing on just one side of it...

Yeh, they were.

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: I'd still buy that kit for just the wings and canopy in the hope that someone (like Jeffrey) comes out with a correction for it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Allan, you should go to the workshop and have your TLARTM calibrated. :lol: The IFR panel is off, and the rear end is so wide actually three to four people were able to sing on just one side of it...

Yeh, they were.

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: I'd still buy that kit for just the wings and canopy in the hope that someone (like Jeffrey) comes out with a correction for it.

Like I said mate! I can't tell it's wrong just by looking  at it so, it'll do for me! 😁

Allan

ps I go to Specsavers next week!!

Pps my partner has added a pair of these kits to her Crimbo list so, I cannot back out now!😂😂

46 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Don’t see anything wrong with the rear end either, think this picture shows how wide the rear end was/is..............

Muzz, when Allan goes to Specsavers next week, you should go with him. Perhaps there's a 2x1 price discount that day...? :bleh:

While there's a certain degree of curve on the rear flanks of the real Tomcat, most of it should be flat, especially in the spot where the stabilator is located at. It's awfully wrong on the AMK kit because there's almost no flat area on the rear flank; it's a constant curve. It ought to be a lot more flatter, as it is in the piccy you've attached.

Yeh, it ought to.

Cheers,

Unc2

6 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

[...] 

While there's a certain degree of curve on the rear flanks of the real Tomcat, most of it should be flat, especially in the spot where the stabilator is located at. [...] 

Cheers,

Unc2

Have a look on the elevator itself. That helps much more to depict the shape where it interfaces with the rear fuselage. There are in fact flat areas. A lot more than one... 

I'd still wait to have the kit in my hands before judgement. 

Unfortunately, the wrong shape on the rear flanks in the AMK Tomcat kit has glaringly jumped at me the first time I ever watched at the pictures posted on every modelling forums that AMK has posted on. Still does today. It's the sort of issue you won't notice so obviously on the Monogram, Hasegawa or Tamiya Tomcat kits.

Martin Wilson himself has once dismissed this issue as being an optical illusion, so he admits there's an issue somehow. Same as with the IFR panel which isn't parallel to the airframe longitudinal axis.

While it might not be an issue to you or some other modellers, I'm not telling you that you shouldn't buy it. That's up to you, or at least it's not up to me whether modeller will buy it or will pass on buying it. I'm not interested in that at all. I'm just stating what I see it's wrong about the AMK kit for me, and also that it's a shame that they haven't fixed those issues when they went silent for almost nine months. Kit is coming out with those issues that make it unacceptable for me to buy. Simple as that.

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

Fair points, no argument. All I say is, I don't judge this before I see the final plastic with my own eyes. That shape is to complx imo. Not enough clear reference lines and no adequately matching photos to compare. 

It'll be released soon enough 🤔

Chaps, I do feel your pain, really...

spacer.png

However; today's Indian Pale Ale time, so, half tipsy it's just occurred to me that the elevators in the 1/48 Tamiya kit would be a good gauge to measure how bad the rear flanks in the AMK kit are...

spacer.png

Either, we place 'em (the Tamiya elevator pieces) right on the sides of the AMK kit or we place one above the other to check "they're" difference regarding the inner contour, which will show whether the curve is too overdone in the latter kit with relation to the former, yeh?

"Me" sheila, bring me another IPA brew, please?

:cheers:

Unc2 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1001193059922345/permalink/3033386000036364/

From Sio SeiHoi, the AMK boss.

V.P.

I'd rather they just box it, ship it and sell it. This drawn out introduction to different parts and stages has all the feel of a 'demonstrator' than a consumer item. Had I paid money up front then I think I would prefer it if I had the chance at some of the test shots rather than see more trickle-down developments from the sidelines. Just my tuppence.