1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

18 hours ago, DarrenH said:

Just a thought but the “overpriced Sparrow shooter” has been carrying Amraams since the last century and somewhat more successful at distributing Mig parts than any other aircraft in history...

F-86 in Korea?

On 6/4/2019 at 8:41 PM, DarrenH said:

Just a thought but the “overpriced Sparrow shooter” has been carrying Amraams since the last century and somewhat more successful at distributing Mig parts than any other aircraft in history...

Defending the fleet has more precedence than doing MiG sweeps, hence the higher kill ratio.

Plus, the F-4 still holds that title as far as I am aware.

Edited by whiskey

• 2 weeks later...

News from AMK’s Facebook page is that the kit is now in production!!! Along with a few photos of sub assemblies such as front fuselage etc. Great news from Martin!

• Like 3

Given my list of planned builds:

F-14A VF-1 “Wolfpack” CAG  1991

F-14A VF-1 “Top Gun”  1985

F-14A VF-124 “Bicentennial” 1976

F-14A VF-VF142 ‘Ghostriders’ 1975

F-14A VF-84 “Jolly Rogers” 1978

F-14A VF-154 “Black Knights” 2001

F-14A VF-111 “Sundowners” Miss Molly

F-14A VF-211 “Checkmates” 1975

F-14B VF-101 “Grim Reapers” 1997

F-14B VF-102 “Diamond Backs” 2002

F-14D VF-213 “Black Lions” CAG 2001

F-14D VX-9 “Vampires” 2003

I think I may need a 'few' of these kits if they're ever released, along like a few of the GWH versions.

• Like 1

Tamiya's kit then AMK and GWH (when, please?). I think I'll wait for build reports. It's incredible how fast these fast cats breed nowadays ..... 😲

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^ Uh-huh... What Pat has just said above, and also: someone should warn the blokes at ARC regarding a prediction by one Nostradamus, which clearly spoke of a sign of the world nearing its end by the time the AMK Tomcat thread reached the 200 pages! I think it's just 16 pages away. :lol: Wow...

Me scared, some... :undecided:

Yeh, me is.

Cheers,

drUn(k)c2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Call me unimpressed.

Again...

"Kit is in production" has been trotted out previously ~1.5yrs ago? Unless the kits are boxed and on the way to the distributors then stop all the horse-guano that constituutes an attempt at "marketing" and let results speak for themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hairystick said:

Call me unimpressed.

Again...

"Kit is in production" has been trotted out previously ~1.5yrs ago? Unless the kits are boxed and on the way to the distributors then stop all the horse-guano that constituutes an attempt at "marketing" and let results speak for themselves.

Can't help but agree given the gestation period. I do feel for those that have put down preorders. Just my tuppence but unless there's something 'really' major about the shape (and by this I mean a level of 'drift' between something that was meant to look like a duck but comes out looking like a piano, rather than a duck with a slightly off foot and a couple of tail feathers missing) they should box what they have, get it on the shelves and let the customer make their choice. It would at least make up the cost of the moulds and manufacture, surely? I know I would still buy a couple at least. Get it done, get it dusted, learn from the experience and move on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hairystick said:

"Kit is in production" has been trotted out previously ~1.5yrs ago?

The ordnance sprues probably have been injected years ago. The airframe toolings must be more recent.

I'm glad to hear they're still working on it and won't just be giving up, but as I've probably said before (I have poor memory), it's probably going have lost sales to the Tamiya kit (unavoidable when you consider how impatient we modellers are), and some others have probably got themselves a bit wound up about it and have taken it as a personal affront.  There are a small number of very weird people in our hobby, sadly.  I wish them luck, I hope they make a profit, and can continue to bring us kits of the calibre of the Foxhound and beyond.  Hopefully, they'll learn a few lessons from the experience too :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There are a small number of very weird people in our hobby, sadly.  

That's me! :rofl2:

I've got no skin in the game, yet I think this is going to teach us all a very good lesson, both the manufacturers AND the ones who have taken AMK's promises too personal and seriously. Never praise any manufacturer because they've promised to deliver "The Mother Of All Kits" simply because that's not possible. That's as far as the manufacturers are concerned.

As for the modellers, I reckon myself to be in the group of those small number of very weird people in the hobby, but weird is not necessarily sad. I'd rather take any kit just as it is, and see whether I can make it better because in all my weirdness, it floats my boat to get extra aftermarket (similar kits also) in order to correct the issues rather than to expect the manufacturer to deliver an exact replica of any given kit, 'cause that is still far to ever be possible.

If you don't agree with what a manufacturer delivers, then just don't buy. It's my opinion that any other hype, as to have supported the development of a future kit by pre-ordering, will just never happen ever again. Modellers ought to have learnt the hard way.

Cheers,

Unc2 

23 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm glad to hear they're still working on it and won't just be giving up, but as I've probably said before (I have poor memory), it's probably going have lost sales to the Tamiya kit (unavoidable when you consider how impatient we modellers are), and some others have probably got themselves a bit wound up about it and have taken it as a personal affront.  There are a small number of very weird people in our hobby, sadly.  I wish them luck, I hope they make a profit, and can continue to bring us kits of the calibre of the Foxhound and beyond.  Hopefully, they'll learn a few lessons from the experience too :)

Totally agree with the sentiment here, I'm one of those now on the fence. Initially I put in a pre-order with a small deposit with a company that has since ceased trading, and when it was announced a while back that the release of the kit was imminent, put in an order with a well known company based in Hong Kong, for which the order appears to have disappeared off their systems. Now, whilst I could be a couple of hundred  quid out of pocket if that order is not honoured, either way it will certainly make me think twice in future. I've had real life health events that have enabled me to put the non delivery of boxes of plastic into perspective (thankfully I am now slowly getting better), and that I'm in a fortunate position financially to allow for a certain element of risk when ordering. However, it will unfortunately make me think twice when it comes to AMK in future, and I say that as a firm advocate for the quality of their products. 

Edited by March
Turned into slightly less of an inebriated word salad. French dressing anyone?
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, March said:

(thankfully I am now on slowly getting better)

Glad to hear it :) I'm also impressed by the quality of their products :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well .... I've written it over on ARC and I shall rant on here as well: From what I have seen of their prototype and judging by the parts I saw live at a Czech modelling show I can only say I am deeply disappointed being the total Tomcat nut that I am. There is quite a number of at least in my eyes rather obvious shape errors. The most irritating one being the misshaped rear fuselage. So far I will definitely refrain from getting the kit (if it comes out) and am happy and thank the lord my preorder got cancelled and I got my money back without any problems.

^^^ Like Brad on ARC would say, Word! :lol:

That rear fuselage shape is just insurmountable; as if the designers at AMK had ever looked closely at this area not even on the venerable Monogram kit to see how it looks like... :hmmm:It's something I just can't fathom. Think that it's quite odd a fact that theirs is the first kit ever to come out with such a fat bottom. Any manufacturer had ever misunderstood the rear flank shape in such an awful way before. How would that fact could ever be explained, me wonders? 

Cheers,

Unc2

45 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

^^^ Like Brad on ARC would say, Word! :lol:

That rear fuselage shape is just insurmountable; as if the designers at AMK had ever looked closely at this area not even on the venerable Monogram kit to see how it looks like... :hmmm:It's something I just can't fathom. Think that it's quite odd a fact that theirs is the first kit ever to come out with such a fat bottom. Any manufacturer had ever misunderstood the rear flank shape in such an awful way before. How would that fact could ever be explained, me wonders? 

Cheers,

Unc2

Word!

• Haha 2

And no-one on ARC, so bravely criticising, has access to the actual product. All the photos seen over there are barely usabe to assess anything.

In other words: we shall wait and see until we have access to what we like to assess.

Until then, let's heed Jeff's advise 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bushande said:

It sadly is what it is.

Which is nothing until it actually exists in its 'saleable' form which is 'then' something that can be dissected and critiqued. Basically what Jeff said but I had my day's word quota to use up.

• Like 1