1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

Like many, i'd much rather wait for a well rounded and accurate kit. It's not like any of us don't have a stash of kits to keep us busy!

Take your time AMK and sign me up for several.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

They look pretty good...! Real shots of plastic too, rather than 3D renders that can be misleading, something I always am wary about (Eduard are offenders here)

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegringo
Spelling as usual

17 hours ago, salomon said:

How long can we wait for the release?

I've been waiting for 10 months now, so 1 or 5 more , where is the problem...plenty of other stuff to do while waiting patiently. :lol:

• Like 1

Far from impressed with those panel lines on the wings, fuselage and the heavy riveting.

In the comparison photo to the Mig-31 they look almost identical ie to heavy.

No real improvement from the 31 and the wing panel lines are simply far to heavy and where is the chorus of people who belittled the HobbyBoss kit for its rivet work?

At least the HB rivets where petite and fine these photos are doing the AMK kit no favors at all.

Under paint it will tone it down but those spoiler and slat panel lines which are ridiculous compared to Hobbyboss or Tamiyas beautiful petite panel work.

I was expecting FAR better.

Ill still pick up a couple to go with my fleet of Mig-31'sand support AMK but the Tamiya kit is so much finer AMK shouldnt even bother with an A they are wasting their money.

Its very funny the chorus/howls of criticism Hobbyboss/trumpeter faced when the released similar photos of far finer panel lines and rivets has showered AMK with praise for clearly inferior work.

Very disappointed with AMK's efforts here I was expecting close to Tamiya quality surface detail.

Pity they are not even close.

29595530_953180304846797_537248684664937

I would be satisfied if the rivers and panel lines were equal to those on mig. For me those were simply perfect.

Funny to write such a big post just to say that you don't like the rivet work and the panel lines. At least I hope it made you feel better lol.

4 hours ago, DarrenH said:

Very disappointed with AMK's efforts here I was expecting close to Tamiya quality surface detail.

Are your expectations realistic ? The finesse of the surface detailing depends on the capability of the CNC and EDM machines. I doubt that AMK can afford using the same machines as Tamiya.

Edited by Laurent

I just got an email from Indiegogo for a feedback survey. The email was titled 'Have you received your perk?', with an estimated delivery date of 15 Dec. I ordered the twin package 1 and I sure haven't received anything, and been patiently waiting for things to materialize. Did anyone else get a similar email? Or is it some sort of joke/hoax?

On 27/03/2018 at 04:43, DarrenH said:

Far from impressed with those panel lines on the wings, fuselage and the heavy riveting.

Did you rescale the image on your monitor to match a 1/48 Tomcat, on my standard PC monitor it looks even bigger than 1/24 scale. Using Ctrl - to shrink it down it looks acceptable. Still may not be as good as Tamiya but hey that's why they are Tamiya.

The AMK's MiG-31 upper fuselage with the future Tomcat similar test sprue.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/avantgardemodelkits/photos/p.953653758132785/953653758132785/?type=3&theater

Sio just sent me this comparison between F-14 and MiG-31. Both AMK of course. 
Better to see them together to decide. 
Cheers Martin.

29837ccc7cd98d10a744da3d2d3fb80e7aec908d

V.P.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I dunno. If someone were to take a photo of the top of the Tamiya Tomcat and compare to the photo of the AMK above, I don't think there'd be that big a difference. If any.

Edited by iSteve
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 4:43 AM, DarrenH said:

In the comparison photo to the Mig-31 they look almost identical ie to heavy.

No real improvement from the 31 and the wing panel lines are simply far to heavy and where is the chorus of people who belittled the HobbyBoss kit for its rivet work?

At least the HB rivets where petite and fine these photos are doing the AMK kit no favors at all.

Under paint it will tone it down but those spoiler and slat panel lines which are ridiculous compared to Hobbyboss or Tamiyas beautiful petite panel work.

I was expecting FAR better.

Ill still pick up a couple to go with my fleet of Mig-31'sand support AMK but the Tamiya kit is so much finer AMK shouldnt even bother with an A they are wasting their money.

Its very funny the chorus/howls of criticism Hobbyboss/trumpeter faced when the released similar photos of far finer panel lines and rivets has showered AMK with praise for clearly inferior work.

Pity they are not even close.

So basically, you don't like it, but going to buy some anyway, so AMK still sell kits to people whether they like them or not. I'm in the wrong business. 

PS, looks great.... nice to finally see plastic! 

Edited by Radleigh

To be honest I would not expect this kit to have the same level of mould quality of Tamiya's but this doesn't worry me at all. Not because I don't trust AMK but simply because Tamiya is Tamiya and I know what high level they have.

Now Tamiya's 1/48 Cat is a great kit that ticks a lot of boxes with many modellers, in my case however I'd like some more "modularity" to be able to build the many different variations seen during Tomcat's production without resorting to aftermarket and the AMK kit promises to make this possible. The addition of features not present in the Tamiya kit is another good reason for me to wait for AMK's kit.

Til now I like what I'm seeing and I'm glad to see this project moving !

• Like 2