1/48 - Grumman F-14A/B & D Tomcat by AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK) - F-14D released

Homebee

I believe it will be out just before Christmas..... but not sure which year just yet! 

Lets just hope it’s sooner rather than later. These recent photographs listed here look promising so at least progress is being made. 

Cheees.. Dave

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, DIO said:

I would be satisfied if the rivers and panel lines were equal to those on mig. For me those were simply perfect.

Funny to write such a big post just to say that you don't like the rivet work and the panel lines. At least I hope it made you feel better lol.

Not really i was expecting far finer panel lines and very few rivets on an F-14.

The Mig-31 in reality has very fine fne panels far finer than those in the kit.

I think its just fortunate that the impression western modellers have is Russian aircraft are agricultural.

The Mig-31 is far from that.

Try putting the Mig-31 panel lines up against the big T’s F-14 panels.

Maybe then you might puck up how overscale they are.

Its still quite entertaining to se some of the very same guys who ripped into Hobbyboss for rivets and geaby panel lines laud a kit with just as many rivets and far heavier panel lines.

Double standards rule...

• Like 3

Gays, what are you talking about?

The engraved panels are never on scale. If they were, they would not exist at all!

It just a way to represent the panels in a way that makes it easier for the modeler to tone them and make them visible after painting and decaling.

Taken that as for granted, it is up to each company on how to better represent them.

I always hated the almost gone after painting Hasegawa ways. Always loved the slightly deeper Tamiya ones. I do not find AMK representation much different.

All the same with the rivets.

F-14 had no rivets? Hmmmmm...

blog-f-14_mg_3176.jpg

Straight from WW II aviation themes lol

VF-31011-4.jpg

Edited by DIO
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Calum said:

Most those above aren't actually rivets.. They're fasteners of various types (either screws, or Dzus)

Would you honestly expect the difference between all those screw type of features to be differently represented in 1/48?

I would honestly not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DIO said:

Would you honestly expect the difference between all those screw type of features to be differently represented in 1/48?

I would honestly not.

Some I would.. I've seen different fastener types depected differently in the past.

I am so looking forward to this kit.

Here a bit of inspiration in the meantime. Ever since the AMK F-14 was anounced, I wanted to paint a VF-2 Tomcat. And now it is more or less finished. Can't wait to build it :bye:

40451927080_2343dbbec7_o.jpg

• Like 10

On 5/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, t15dja said:

Now that is a truly superb piece of art....I congratulate you on your achievement!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am very happy you like it :)

Box art?

Not bad.

Could be better...

Is it supposed to be an aborted landing or a take off? Can’t be a take off as its above the deck at too steep an angle before the end of the cat, even for a waist launch. If you follow the ‘steam line’ you cam see the remaining cat track. Plus the nose gear launch bar is up! When launching they come off then sometimes dip below deck level before climbing again. 

For a touch and go (edit: meant  to say ‘bolter’) it kinda works if thats tire smoke but the hook isn’t down.

And the main gear isn’t unloaded while its in the air. Have you seen how long the oleos are? The scissor links about lie flat against them. The nose gear looks about right...  

Get your pitch forks & torches. I’m ready... :D 

But if it makes twelve years old save their pocket money and get into modelling then at least the hobby will continue when we are all dead. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Terrain Safe said:

Tony

Small point but I think if it's a touch and go then the hook probably won't be down.

What I meant was when they miss all the wires? Is that not what its called then? Just a failed landing?

Do they deliberately ‘not land’ ie touch the deck then take off again? 

I still think they are trying to depict a take off though with that artwork at artwork judging by the steam in the cat track - opinion? 

6 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

What I meant was when they miss all the wires? Is that not what its called then? Just a failed landing?

I still think they are trying to depict a take off though with that artwork at artwork judging by the steam in the cat track - opinion? 

I believe the correct term for a carrier landing which fails to catch the wires is “bolter”. 

Mark

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 1:55 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Yes they do. On training sorties there are hook-up approaches flown to get familiar with the landing approach.

To me the artwork is showing a "hook-up" landing and go around ("touch & go"). They got the exhausts correct though... no afterburner required for GE engined 'cats!

Edited by hairystick
  • Thanks 1

Goddammit AMK this is the second time you've done this to me. The Tomcat was always a favourite of mine growing up before I realised the beauty of mud movers and the like. Never had an interest in building one in 48th scale, just like I never had a interest in building a Foxhound, and that was a great kit.

19 minutes ago, hairystick said:

They got the exhausts correct though... no afterburner required for GE engined 'cats!

Yes, but they still show the burners lit in that artwork. A/B and closed nozzles won't work at the same time.

But any way, it won't sway my purchase decision one way or the other (and there are certainly worse box arts, just look at HB's A-6E. That's close to being an Escher painting).

I'm very curious about this kit, but not a great Tomcat fan overall...Let's see..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hairystick said:

Yes they do. On training sorties there are hook-up approaches flown to get familiar with the landing approach.

To me the artwork is showing a "hook-up" landing and go around. They got the exhausts correct though... no afterburner required for GE engined 'cats!

Fair enough makes sense. 

Although its perhaps artistic licence to be showing that with an operational rather than training jet? 

Anyways I think we are all looking into it too much perhaps. It’s just a picture at the end of the day. As long as any possible inaccuracies (as in build features, not what it may or may not be depicted doing) on the painting are not directly translated/transfered to the kit itself then all is good I suppose.  

Not that anyone would say that ‘part a is 3mm too far from part z on the painting so therefore the kit inside could be wrong’ 😂

Too much coffee and not enough sleep...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, madcat911 said:

I believe the correct term for a carrier landing which fails to catch the wires is “bolter”. 

Mark

Yes, that's the term 👍

Personally I don't particularly like the box art, but really it's not a detail that will prevent me from buying this kit

On 5/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Box art?

Not bad.

Could be better...

Is it supposed to be an aborted landing or a take off? Can’t be a take off as its above the deck at too steep an angle before the end of the cat, even for a waist launch. If you follow the ‘steam line’ you cam see the remaining cat track. Plus the nose gear launch bar is up! When launching they come off then sometimes dip below deck level before climbing again. 

For a touch and go it kinda works if thats tire smoke but the hook isn’t down.

And the main gear isn’t unloaded while its in the air. Have you seen how long the oleos are? The scissor links about lie flat against them. The nose gear looks about right...  

Get your pitch forks & torches. I’m ready... :D 

But if it makes twelve years old save their pocket money and get into modelling then at least the hobby will continue when we are all dead. 

so, basically  a lot.....

simply does not look the part when looking closer...

the nozzle do not look convincing, and seem to be in burner but closed..... I guess the plastic will be alright though! 

but, then , only a boxart!

• Like 1

As others have said, not the best boxart that AMK have done......those tail fins are a little 'out' as well...undersized.

Still the art does fulfil one of its main purposes in that it highlights the availability of flaps/slats in this particular kit. I'm more interested in the contents and have every confidence that AMK will come up with the goods again, just as they have with the IAI Kfir C2/7 (Revised), Aero L-29 and MiG-31 Foxhound. 

Really looking forward to this one !

• Like 1