Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb - USAAF ...additional unedited photos

Spitfire Mk.Vb 336th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group, USAAF at Debden August 1942 - in 1/48th scale. This is the Airfix Mk Vb kit with resin exhausts and PE seat belts. The markings are Montex masks - and great things they are too!
The kit is no Tamiya, but it's a massive improvement on the previous MkV. I think Airfix have nailed the shape and form and I love all the extra bits and 2 versions of the windscreen.
This model was a bit of an experiment really. As well as using paint masks for the markings for first time, I was testing Xtracrylix paints from Hannants. I think the colours are spot on (not that you can tell from the images) and better than Tamiya's Ocean Grey/Dark Green, but the paint seemed a bit 'plastic' and my normal chipping process ended up being more a case of 'peeling' more paint off then was desired. As you can see, the wing root is rather over done. I think I messed up on the starboard fuselage markings too - I think the MD and T should be the other way around. And there are other mistakes. Anyway, calling it done.

SpitfireVb-USAAF-1.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-2.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-4.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-8.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-6.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-7.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-5.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-3.jpg

SpitfireVb-USAAF-26.jpg
Colour photos later in the thread...

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 31

Nice spit, I thought I was looking at pictures from a book.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

Goodness me that does look good! It is weathered a lot, but weathered well - totally believable. Both black and white and the colour shots look so very real.

What is your chipping process? It looks very convincing.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Goodness me that does look good! It is weathered a lot, but weathered well - totally believable. Both black and white and the colour shots look so very real.

What is your chipping process? It looks very convincing.

Regards,

Adrian

The chipping on this didn't go the way I planned it. It was supposed to be less, and finer. There was supposed to be more of the previous Dark Earth/Dark Green scheme showing through.

I paint the airframe silver (an Alclad 2), seal it with Klear, then I use thinned Microscale Micro Mask dabbed on in all the right places with torn bits of oven cleaning pad and a fine brush. When dry I pre-shade and paint the camo. I did a couple of layers of camo on this, including a dark earth layer first, and finished off with a faded post-shaded layer with chip/scratch masking in between each layer. When the camo is dry I use a stiff brush and water to remove the paint/mask. Paints are usually Tamiya or Vallejo. Both work well and leave finer chips and scratches. But this time I tried Xtracrylix. However this paint either didn't lift at all or where it did it peeled off over larger areas all the way down to the Alcald/Klear layer. Not what I wanted.

I like the colour of the Xtracrylix. Both the Dark Green and Ocean Grey look better to me than the Tamiya versions. But the Tamiya and Vallejo paint just works better for me.

Edited by CplPunishment

Cracking model and cracking photography Corp. Just my cup o' tea.

The black and white shots are superb, particularly the closer rear three quarter showing the wing root and open cockpit door. Like many others, I thought I was looking at the real deal at first.

One thing you could do to make it even more convincing is scratch build a couple of wheel chocks..

Great job. Very impressive.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Cracking model and cracking photography Corp. Just my cup o' tea.

The black and white shots are superb, particularly the closer rear three quarter showing the wing root and open cockpit door. Like many others, I thought I was looking at the real deal at first.

One thing you could do to make it even more convincing is scratch build a couple of wheel chocks..

Great job. Very impressive.

Cheers.

Chocks is a cracking good idea. I think that has to done. Thanks.

I have to credit my daughter, who is doing a photographic degree at the moment, for showing me a few tips for getting better photos from my camera. She also got for me a better lense for close-up work. Still more to learn though.

• Like 2

I have to admit that the "Where's the model" comment is really appropriate. That's SUPER GOOD STUFF !! In addition to the need to improve my modeling skills now I have to figure out how to up my game in the photography area. Thanks for being an inspiration. Bob

• Like 1

Like quite a few others, I was scrolling down your period photos, wondering when you'd show us your model....

Nothing much I can say, really. Except CONGRATS!!!!

JR

• Like 1