Boeing P 26 Peashooter, Philippines 1941, 1/72 Revell

Hi,

Next very archive model - Revell, 1/72, Boeing P26 Peashooter. Philippinian Army markings from end of 1941. Frankly speaking I do not know if the scheme is OK. I followed here a profile published in 1970s in Czechoslovak (those days) air journal Letectvi+Kosmonautika. Currently the painting schemes for Philippinian P 26s are published a bit differently. Anyway - I hope authors from profile published in L+K had some reasons to present it this way... I made her about 1975, initially in prewar US markings, then I repainted her in this markings about 1980, then I corrected by adding rigings in early 1990s.

Here she is:

p26 DSC04432p26 DSC04433p26 DSC04434p26 DSC04435

Is anybody know something sure about Philippinians P26 to support this scheme? I have googled two or three photos, but not confirming this scheme.

Philippinian P26 saw combat in WWII. They were used against Japans in defence of homeland, three were lost having two victories on this type.

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 15

Hi My Dear Friend Jerzy!!!!!

First of all I have found a Hasegawa 1/32 kit sheet that supports your work that way, you can watch here:

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/p26decalinst.jpg

and if you and anybody wants, can watch the following link about the plane :

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/p26.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have watched carefully this nice gem and was enjoying every detail you have put in her, she looks like a nice and meaning woman, a beautiful girl very well dressed and with nice scents, and a perfect smile......JAJAJAJAJAJAJA.....really a nice model you haev done, with all those things you made along those years, a nice effort in each task with this one. If you have many more of them you can do many other versions, and replicate each job in many more models and also discover many more you could do.

I have seen your post and automatically my memory got back to 1980 when Revell's supported ADVENT brand kits appeared here in the Universal Hobbies Store, those nice planes were cheaper and wonderfully made, obviously old Revell models revamped in small boxes.

I bought mine and another for a gift I gave to a friend for less than US$3.00 ; I made mine and gave the other to my friend as a birthday's present. Later in next years, I was asking him if he has already the plane as I wanted another to make a build as someone wanted my built model, and I exchanged him this nice and wonderful little plane for a Monogram F 16 kit, he was very happy and me too.

When Revell Germany kits appeared here in a Hardware Store named CEMACO, in the toy's departament, I bought four and later when the new edition appeared here in the Revell Germany's exclusive dealer here, bought two more, so as you have seen,I am a Fan of this little plane......the reason???...just is that Guatemalan Air Force was given a gift from USAAF that in the middle of WW II they gave us those modern planes as some of them were in Panamà Canal Zone and the Guatemalan Air Force Commander has been classmate with the USAAF General Henry "HAp" Arnold and arranged that even tough the USA was not making available modern planes to countries like Guatemala. Some were given to Panamà and some to Guatemala, later Guatemala bought the Panamanian ones.

According to history, Wikipedia sez that "Only nine P-26s remained airworthy, serving in the Panama Canal Zone. In 1942–43, the Fuerza Aérea de Guatemala acquired seven P-26s ostensibly by the U.S. government smuggling them in as "Boeing PT-26A" trainers to get around restrictions of sales to Latin American countries. The last two P-26s in service were still flying with Guatemala's Air Force until 1956, when they were replaced with P-51 Mustangs. The P-26's last combat operation was with the Guatemalan Air Force during a coup in 1954".

Here were some flying in 1954 and can watch flying this planes you can go here:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675024177_C-C-Armas_Armas-arrives-in-a-US-Air-Force-C-47-plane_Airport-crowd_formation-of-airplanes

Maybe if you are interested in some Guatemalan Air Force Planes, I will share with you some decals.

After that, thank you very much for sharing and make the day, or night as here is Saturday and at 23:07.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis Alfonos and Jason for comments.

Luis, I really do appreciete your long story :). I am very glad to know, that the same painting scheme (ok, my "white 2" is bigger, but certainly this is the same scheme) IS IN BOX of Hasegawa 1/32 P26! model :) That is a great news, which supports a lot my weak reference to profile in L+K :) :)

Although I knew that Guatemala was using P26, but It was very moving to learn, that P26 were still flying there in 1954. In the times of Sabres and Mig 15s :) Nice movie. Now F16 is still in use in many countries in first line even produced twenty ( or thirthy) years ago - but between 1934 and 1954 there was a real gap - or if you like - a big progress - in achevements of fighters.

Best regards - hasta proxima maqueta, Amigo

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Lots of different interpretations regarding their scheme or schemes. I like yours.

Have this also on my to do list. Love small air forces especially around WWII and modern.

Here is a link with some interesting reading and some good pics. Looks like the airfield pics on the first page of it are missing. I am pretty sure I downloaded them before but have to see where they got placed.

http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=8688.0

• Like 1

Thank you Gentelmen for comments and likes.

Especially I appreciete the link given by Philip in post #8. Nice photos and a lot of data there on such an exotic subject as Philippine Airforces in 1941. I knew so for only the photo with Keystone bomber. I still have in stash Douglas O46, which is mentioned there to fly in Philippins. Unfortunetely no photo. I will try to google something on this....

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thank you Luis Alfonos and Jason for comments.

Luis, I really do appreciete your long story :). I am very glad to know, that the same painting scheme (ok, my "white 2" is bigger, but certainly this is the same scheme) IS IN BOX of Hasegawa 1/32 P26! model :) That is a great news, which supports a lot my weak reference to profile in L+K :) :)

Although I knew that Guatemala was using P26, but It was very moving to learn, that P26 were still flying there in 1954. In the times of Sabres and Mig 15s :) Nice movie. Now F16 is still in use in many countries in first line even produced twenty ( or thirthy) years ago - but between 1934 and 1954 there was a real gap - or if you like - a big progress - in achevements of fighters.

Best regards - hasta proxima maqueta, Amigo

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I was thinking that this long story deserves another build of this little plane and even tough now there are more modern kits of her in 1/72, the nice Revell rendition is more than adequste to enjoy a great aircraft's historical past. Maybe I will follow your teps >Guatemalan Style!!!

Cheers, and as you said Do następnego modelu przyjaciela !!!! ;)

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Luis - I like your Polish, it is perfect - how did you get Polish characters? - "ę" is impressive!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Luis - I like your Polish, it is perfect - how did you get Polish characters? - "ę" is impressive!

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

Use of Google Translator!!!...I wish I could speak polish to talk with you more frequently but anyway, is good to know too that your spanish is perfect too!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1