Ultimate Burnishing Liquid

Shar2

Ultimate Burnishing Liquid

Ultimate Products

pot.jpg

Ever since the introduction of aftermarket metal track sets for model AFV's, modellers have tried to obtain that worn and weathered look. Mostly it was done with paints, graphite and other powders, then came some chemical based liquids onto the market, showing the way to get an authentically worn look. Naturally these were quite caustic as it was their job to burnish the metal to give them a natural worn and distressed look, so some care had to be taken when using them. Ultimate Modelling Products have now entered the market with this new product called Ultimate Burnishing Liquid.

As with other manufacturers products you will need to wear protective gloves and use in a well ventilated area as it’s still an irritant to the eyes and respiratory system. Once you’ve assembled you track lengths, all you have to do is pour the Burnishing liquid into a suitably sized plastic container along with an equal amount of tap water. Place the previously cleaned tracks into the solution and move around, agitating with a brush until the desired effect is achieved. This can take any amount of time, but usually between seven and thirty minutes is required. With the track suitably weathered remove the tracks from the liquid and run tap water over them to stop the chemical reaction. Dry thoroughly, and then weather the tracks using your preferred powders and paints before running a sanding sponge over the raised areas to give that used look. Then it’s just a matter of fitting the tracks to your model and that’s it, job jobbed.

Conclusion
Whilst I haven’t had a chance to use this product, mainly due to a lack of modelling mojo, along with prolonged illness, one of our members has used it on one of his latest builds HERE Knowing the way Ultimate product test everything they make and how well their other products work this Burnishing Liquid should be in every AFV modellers arsenal for that used track look. Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report my findings on this stuff, as I was left with a bottle after dishing the other two to Dan and Dave to review/use. I've been building a Jagdpanzer IV L/70(V) (trips off the tongue, doesn't it?) here, and have just finished burnishing my tracks, which is a ludicrously easy process. I also did some individual links to see whether burnishing them before building is viable, and it certainly is. You get a bit of crusty powder in some of the pin holes, but that pushes out easily enough, so shouldn't slow you down during building. It's the best way of avoiding shiny patches due to CA coverage on the pin ends.

tracks1.jpg

I just can't recommend this stuff highly enough. Those pics don't quite do them justice :wub:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I prefer to do an assembled track length, but I know over modellers prefer to do them unassembled. I think the assembled tracks get a more even tone.

Yes, the fluid is reusable.

• Like 1