1/20 Ebbro Lotus 72

After my long absence from BM here is another completed project the excellent Ebbro Lotus 72. This model was made at snail pace as all the chromed kit parts were stripped and redone with Alclad chrome and then given a coat o fAlclad Aqua Gloss for protection. I bought aftermarket JPS logo decals off ebay and then after application began the long slog of a varnish coat followed by cutting back and then another coat of varnish until the decals were buried, well worth the time and effort. Still got aftermarket belts and the battery to fit but otherwise complete. I think it looks just as good if not better than the 1/12 Tamiya offering.

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0030_1.jpg

DSC_0029_1.jpg

DSC_0026_1.jpg

DSC_0023_1.jpg

DSC_0022_1.jpg

DSC_0021_1.jpg

This was a most enjoyable model to build. Hope you like it as much as I do! MODeller

Edited by MODeller
  • Like 8

Welcome back Brian

That's a little beauty, stunning job; and the '49 looks pretty special also - got something about Lotus, eh!?!

Good to see you back in the saddle again

Rick

Very, very nice 72 (and 49)

Scheme reminds me of the sets of JPS Lotus stickers (would they have been a Texaco give-away as they were the fuel\oil sponsors?) I had on my wooden toybox back in the day (Wonderfully politically correct, none of the family have ever smoked!).

Anyway, enough reminiscing, great build and thanks for sharing

Beautiful finish, what paint did you use for the black/varnish? Have a 1/12 scale one to to do & am currently building the 78 but the best way forward as to the paint to use is still a puzzle. Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers Mac

Beautiful finish, what paint did you use for the black/varnish? Have a 1/12 scale one to to do & am currently building the 78 but the best way forward as to the paint to use is still a puzzle. Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers Mac

Hi Mac, nothing exotic on the finish, the paint is Revell Aqua gloss black covered in Alclad Aqua Gloss varnish. Because of the decal film standing proud several coats of varnish were applied and cut back with micro mesh each time until the bodywork varnish is level with decals at which point they appear to be under glass rather than looking like "stickers". This is a bit time consuming but I was at snail pace with the engine/suspension parts and given the kit price well worth the effort! MODeller

Welcome back Brian

That's a little beauty, stunning job; and the '49 looks pretty special also - got something about Lotus, eh!?!

Good to see you back in the saddle again

Rick

Thanks Rick, I am definitely feeling so much better now and thought it was just the Gold Leaf 72 to go but then there is the 99T, Europa and 7 showing in the stockpile! MODeller