HMS ENDEAVOUR Artesania Latina

Go for it, it's not all that much more work! You're lucky to be able to get lime easily! Nice work especially getting the hull planks around the amazingly bluff bow! It's probably a good idea at this point to start grabbing all the shots of the full size beast to aid in Masting and rigging, Kit manufacturers tend to simplify them somewhat!

F

• Like 1

What a great build to follow - fascinating. These wooden ship kits are brilliant fun to build aren't they? I built Amati's Bluenose schooner a few years ago and just had the most absorbing and rewarding modelling experience.

Great thread to follow for the carpentry skills as well.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

you make it look very easy. I really enjoyed looking through your build work here - as I have said it before on the forum, these builds remind me of my building the delprado Victory about5 years ago or so, which was a first for me but thrilled all the way from keel to the masts where upon I got scared of the rigging and gave up!

I shall enjoy watching you make easy work of this wooden lady - all the best

• Like 1

Good evening, here is a little udate to where I have got to;

While takeing a break from endless sanding of the hull, I started sorting out how the 2 transom pieces of ply would fit. Now everything up till now had been plain sailing, it seems now that the Endeavour has run into stormy seas, On offering the transom up I was a bit shocked to find that it was at least 10mm over size, at first I thought that would be no great problem to file down, however I then had a look at the other piece the window frame, and realised that by the time that been filed down then it would have gone through the outer frame. So after an hour of turning the workshop upside down to find a tiny scrap od 1.5mm ply , I set about marking out another makeing the spaces inbetween the windows a little narrower, I then found out that the little ornamentations would not fit inbetween, so I decided that they would have to be done away with which was a bit of a shame. Then my luck changed a bit because trying the little brass windows in the lasor cut frame inserts they were left with a gap of 1/2 ml all round .so when I marked out the reduced sizes on the new frame it worked out that after all the ornamentations would fit. After 3 hours of carefull cutting and fileing I had the new frame with each window individualy fitted.

I can now get back to my sanding.

P1020955_zpsyrj0gvd9.jpgP1020953_zpsd73lbuul.jpg

• Like 6

I am in no way trying to tell you what you probably already surmised, but much of the deck fitting paraphenalia may have been fitted to adapt the ship for its role in the modern world, taking kids on trips. I suppose it all depends on what period you are trying to set the Endeavour in..

Marvellous work by the way, and I don't think my plastic kit tools would help much with a wood kit... I picked up an HMS Surprise for a good price for the stash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update, nill progress !!. I am in the middle of a 6 week summer sojourn in the south of France, but Am begining to miss my Endeavor madly!!. Maybe I should have taken a little book on rigging with me to prepare myself for the daunting task ahead !! .

Edited by Stuck

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Stuck

it so happens I am doing the same model. actually I started more then 10 years ago and for various reasons stopped.

now I am preparing myself to come back and finish it.

see the pictures. the first group is from 2004 and the last is from today. (with some broken parts... after so many years)

https://goo.gl/photos/4ZLR6tWjVSWUMr9HA

back then I didn't have the internet too much, with pictures and forums of other people's work.

These days I am waiting for some ordered tools from Alibaba that I need for the work. and trying to find all the information about ENDEAVOUR to see what I need to fix the stuff I did wrong and the next steps.

reading your post I got really nostalgic while remembering the difficulties and problems encountered. the same as you.

I miss so much the work and the "immersion" into the process. really enjoying myself while looking for the information.

my model was manufactured back then and has some differences. for example I don't have the sales already cut and done, I have the material to make them myself. probably some other diff as well. one thing was the same though and its the transom windows not fitting well. got around it eventually.

This is my second model actually. the first was done in 1999. HMS Vicotry : https://goo.gl/photos/gF246SvPeqXLqPbr7.

Anyways, will be watching your progress. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a 7 week jolly jaunt cycleing around the south of France, its refreshing to get back to the grindstone with the Endeavour. unfortuanatly on the last week of my tour I managed to lose my glasses somewhere along the road,so have had to make do with a cheap pair of supermarket specs for the time being, more than 10 minutes trying to read and my vision is everywhere and cant focus on a thing, so i will be brief and just show some pics of where I am up to now with a little help from my optivisor!!.

dadarara; thats some fine work there, hope you soon get stuck back into it !!

P1030954_zpsoui4kmyj.jpg

P1030953_zps5nloeerf.jpg

P1030960_zpshjmv4byi.jpg

P1030958_zps8dx1xdwz.jpg

P1030965_zpsp8z8efqd.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, after a bit of thought I decided to paint the hull before i continued any further . the workshop is now being occupied by an exterior door i am making for myself . With lenghs of 4 by 2 flying round, i am not going to risk having it damaged, so i have taken to the kitchen table to do the painting. not being sure of the correct colors, i scanned the web, and decided on Vallejo model air French blue, model color yellow ocre. i couldnt find the French blue it the model color range, but the air range brushes just fine, just takes a little longer to dry. Every thing was given several coats of cellulose ( Dope, wander why they call it that !!! ) sanding down between coats with 400 grit silicone paper) the clear bits then given a couple more coats finishing off with very fine wire wool, It builds up to a beautiful finish, but you have to be fast with the brush.

A few weeks ago i brought a floor standing LED work light from Lidl which i am finding fantastic, the only problem is that it is showing up every error i have made on this, and I can tell you there have been quite a few.the one lesson i have learn t and for any of you that wants to give one of these a go is just go over and over again with getting the bulkhead edges filed and sanded to follow through before any planking is started.

Now the door is finished I can have my workshop back. Many years ago an old boy gave me some boxwood logs of about 4inches in diameter. Because box takes so long to grow a log of that size has a lot of growth rings and it can be worked very finely, because of this i believe it to be be one of the best modeling woods. I Have sawn and thicknessed the mini planks down to 5mm which is as thin as the thicknesser will go. I am going use this to do to make the to rails ,which looks about the most daunting process in the whole build, but will give me a chance to try out my lovely new spokeshave ! . :bye:

P1030981_zpsyd5q3xmj.jpg

P1030980_zps1srwjzfg.jpg

P1030986_zpsm89jeg3c.jpg

P1030987_zpsognsaw2d.jpg

P1030989_zpstsugu5q6.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

For reference I have found there are many well detailed pics of The Endeavour replica based in Sydney. One thing that seemed to bug me was the interior detail of the stern with the kit ( or for want of a better word the lack of it ) on the kit the stern is flat across and the ornamentation over lapping the sides, on the replica it curves around the sides with a rounded over capping. so i cut a some boxwood to try and replicate the capping although never being 100% correct would at least finish the stern a little better. Also not mentioned in the kit there is also a housing over the rudder opening, so to break up the monotony of the painting, i constructed one.

P1040004_zpsoebkoag7.jpg

P1030993_zpsssy5zhkw.jpg

P1030994_zpsfj7enmbd.jpg

P1030995_zps3cr1aedk.jpg

P1040001_zpsevbrhmqo.jpg

P1040024_zpscpqnxgnb.jpg

The detail painting seems to have been painfully slow, i feel embarrassed to say that i have spent at least an hour a day on it for the last month, although still not finished, I have had enough for the time being,I want to get back into the woodwork. Dont think I would have lasted long if been employed as a painter and decorator !!.

P1040045_zpsvklpmi91.jpg

P1040047_zpsqpynsmmi.jpg

P1040049_zpspyovfqxp.jpg

Thanks for looking, Mike

• Like 9

Really looking good. Now, about weathering :D

By the time I finish this my grubby hands will have done that for me !

Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am slowly plowing through the instruction manual and am now at step 29 out of 122, everything seems to be set out in a logical sequence, but it is necessary to keep on jumping from the step photos which are not very clear to the middle of the book for the written instructions which to say the least can be a bit vague, and then to the back of the book to refer to the parts list. Arriving at this step I just didnt realise so much work would have to go into what looked like were just a couple of tiny bits of wood. First of all there were 34 balustrades for the top rails which needed a round tenon fashioning on the end.

P1040051_zpslaic73qp.jpg

P1040052_zpsarwgokxq.jpg

P1040058_zpsqsyeseep.jpg

Afterwards the hull needed drilling with a 2mm bit to receive these, checking the right angle with a bevel., after carefully pricking out each placement.

P1040055_zpsaq9pzwez.jpg

P1040056_zpsvi9rant5.jpg

P1040061_zpshix2r3j3.jpg

Then I had to fashion the 34 mooring bits, studying photos these seemed to be tapering into the middle, after a few unsuccessful attempts to replicate this with a chisel , I hit on the idea of turning a little pummel to give the same sort of effect,

P1040139_zpsc1hvn5py.jpg

P1040145_zps1i0o35hv.jpg

P1040149_zpszwmk9jsm.jpg

P1040153_zpsryzxxd9a.jpg

P1040156_zpsvbagy4lh.jpg

Thanks for looking, Mike

• Like 10

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...