HMS ENDEAVOUR Artesania Latina

Just lately I seem have lost a bit of my mojo with plastic kits, perhaps because the last two i have attempted seemed to have gone all wrong at the last hurdle. So being a carpenter by trade it seemed only fitting to build a model out of wood, at least I could control my destiny a bit more. I did start to build a French cutter a few years ago which is still waiting to be completed, so having a little experience in planked hulls, I have decided to have a go at this,, The very large box arrived on Wednesday, I must say i am very impressed with the contents and quality of the materials. It was my intention to put it away until the end of the Summer, but I just couldnt resist starting it straight away., and although i have a load of gardening to do , I have not been able to put the thing down !! , certainly has given me my mojo backP1020896_zpsntjmqd1h.jpg

• Like 5

Having not even cleared a space in my upstairs man cave, best place to make this would be in the workshop. First thing was to make sure at least all the would was in the kit, so layed it out on the work bench, and checked it off the parts list, and then marked all the bulkheads., then made a base to construct the hull on. most of the bulkheads fitted quite well, a couple did need a bit of fileing, using some quick drying PVA they were fitted into the notches makeing sure they were nice and square.,.The aft counter didnt seem to fit to well, and there was nothing to really clamp it to while the glue was setting, so I used a couple of dabs of hot melt glue to hold it in place , afterwards I reinforced it with some 1/2 inch balsa inserts. Next step laying the decking, which i am quite looking forward too , but I must must mow the lawn first !!

P1020897_zpsuede7dwo.jpgP1020906_zpsu53cofaj.jpgP1020901_zpsbbyhropl.jpgP1020900_zpsumbff88p.jpgP1020903_zpslbjszehj.jpgP1020907_zpsmqqquyy0.jpgP1020904_zpsy6oezbpz.jpgP1020908_zpsofylijea.jpg

• Like 11

I agree! I have the Artesania -Latina ketch Clara May part built but has been shelved for ten-fifteen years due to not knowing what to do. I bit off a bit more than I could chew when I bought it with a legacy from my Grandparents. This WIP will hopefully give me the clues so I can do their memory justice. I have learnt some already!

Looking forward to seeing more.

All the best, Ray

Hi there, Thanks for all the kind comments, To build a wooden boat is not as daunting as some of you might think, I am fortunate to have all the tools of the trade, but actualy presuming you all ready have all the tools for plastic modeling, there are only a few more that you might need,essentially a good block plane and a chisel,but they must be kept very sharp!!. After my only other kit made by Soclaine that was very daunting, i can honestly recommend Artesania, The quality of materials is very good, 4 double sided full size plans, and a very good instruction manual.

I had recently been following a build of the Endeavour on a couple of other forums, in one the builder had used lengths of black thread in between the decking to give a pitched effect, although i must say it did look very effective i did try a sample, finding it very long winded, and it kept on fluffing up. So I gave it a bit of thought and came up with the idea of mixing some black colorant with PVA glue., and was quite pleased with the outcome. It looks quite messy but I can assure you it is not. I cut a batch of about 25 then clamped them together, and spread the glue on the edges with a silicone tipped brush (chez Lidle ) immediately afterwards took them all apart and spread them over a sheet of cling film. The weather here in Brittany is very warm and pleasant so they didnt take long to dry at all, and body heat dried the residue on my fingers to a thin skin which easily peeled off.

I have no idea about navel architecture, but assumed that the planks used would be about 16ft long with centers of about 30" ( please correct me if I am wrong ) so scaleing it down I have cut them just short of 4".

This is how the bow section turned out. I glued them down with PVA. It was recommended in the instructions to drill for the masts after the planking had been layed, but the veneer is very easy to split so I did this first and will file it out afterwards.

P1020921_zps8nozxyzn.jpg

P1020912_zpsb8db0lzt.jpgP1020915_zpsxtcssdfr.jpgP1020914_zpswjai1v2v.jpgP1020923_zps9zamjb8i.jpgP1020925_zpsjvsjpxsc.jpgP1020918_zpsu2w5epne.jpg

• Like 9

I've never seen one of these being built so I'll be watching this closely, I've always loved old sail ships and this being the view from my window at work isn't helping

HM-Bark-Endeavor-e1342089063633.jpg

• Like 6

Decking looks so real great skills you are showing us

I've never seen one of these being built so I'll be watching this closely, I've always loved old sail ships and this being the view from my window at work isn't helping

HM-Bark-Endeavor-e1342089063633.jpg

If I had that view at work then I would not mind having to spend so much time there

Beefy

• Like 2

Oh dear retirement is just so boreing !. Apart from a very pleasant bike ride, and restringing my ukulele, I have done little else all week but make this, must say though that it has been a pleasant experiance working outside in glorious sunshine trying to work faster than the glue drying !. Here are some pics of the decking.P1020926_zpshhmc1znc.jpgP1020927_zpslck1wuhk.jpgP1020929_zpsxabsc5fl.jpgP1020925_zpsprystlmh.jpg

• Like 9

After the decking was layed I stained them with some light oak and then applied some Danish oil. Then the gunwhales were fitted, I carefully scaped the oil off where they were to go, and pricked some little holes to give the PVA better adhesion . The instructions are a bit vague in places,and was a bit stumped as to where the first plank was to be fitted, then I sussed it out and the first one was to act as a template to shape the gunwhales to. After a long day in the sunshine I have managed to get the first side underplanked, soaking them for a few hours in the rainwater but made them plyable enough to bend . Maybe I was a bit hasty with sanding the bulkheads and when it came to sanding i found there were a couple of bumps, but have just about got rid of them although in a couple of places as you can see in the pic i dit have to sand through to the bulkhead. never mind life is for learning.

Yes the forcasters are right , a heatwave is on the way, its here already in Brittany, I no need to go and sit in a dark room for a while, i think its got to me!!. Please exuse the spelling, my spell check seems to have packed up on me.

P1020932_zps6aofwjp7.jpg

P1020934_zpsd86pl0qk.jpgP1020935_zps6dbfau4f.jpgP1020933_zpshrnb3wub.jpg

• Like 10

Good evening, a little bit more progress has been made over the last couple of days, its just too hot to dig the garden !!. After finishing the under planking it took quit a while to sand all the ridges out, as I worked along doing this I brushed insome thinned PVA into the joints whith the sanding dust that had been created. The gunwhales where then carefully planed down with the help of a tiny modelmakers spoke shave. The instructions suggest finishing all the double planking before fitting bow and keel pieces, but this goes against my carpentry training, so I have fitted it on first and cutting the secondary planks in. The secondary planking is a slow process, and I am tapering them for a mandolin effect,just hope it works out !!.

P1020937_zpsdbqktmjc.jpgP1020938_zpsfxvoast9.jpgP1020939_zpsh8du5a2p.jpgP1020942_zps5yt9aljb.jpgP1020944_zps0oi7y1a0.jpgP1020936_zpsjzwusamv.jpg

• Like 8

Good evening, A little bit more progress has been made over the weekend. After finishing the secondary planking I started on the gunwhales, the kit supplied 2 precut round pieces for the bow, however these did not quite match the radius and left nothing in the width for adjustment, for the rest strait strips of 8mm wide were supplied , but how on earth these were going to fit the curvature i dont know :undecided: , so I decided to cut some out of my own French walnut, my saw just about manageing to cut down to 2mm, after they were shaped on a fretsaw. I am as far as i can following the replica of the ship in Australia, haveing studied quite a few photos on the net it seems there are quite a few deck fittings not supplied with the kit, so it seems that I will have quite a bit of scratch building to be done. :whistle:

P1020949_zpser8ke1xn.jpgP1020948_zpsfjilireq.jpgP1020947_zpspt5eoooz.jpgP1020946_zps7d4rgtji.jpgP1020950_zps9lug3gpt.jpg

• Like 9

This is really great work, I have been long tempted to get that kit only built 2 wooden shops before.

And as the real HMS Endevour once sailed only a few miles from where my house is, probably should.

• Like 2

My your cracking on, have the Bounty half finished in 1/96, but never as good as your finish.

Scratch building for me to is great fun and part of the entertainment of ship building, or for that matter all building.

:popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Great work, so far!

You may find this book of interest:

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/H_M_Bark_Endeavour.html?id=6wESAQAAIAAJ&source=kp_cover&hl=en

In addition to plans and details of ship fittings, it's liberally sprinkled with excerpts from Cook's logs from the voyage.

Thanks for that, I checked out google but the only price I can find is on Ebay Australia for $298 !! , so i think I will be giveing that one a miss!!

This is really great work, I have been long tempted to get that kit only built 2 wooden shops before.

And as the real HMS Endevour once sailed only a few miles from where my house is, probably should.

Go for it, once you start it is quite addictave !!

My your cracking on, have the Bounty half finished in 1/96, but never as good as your finish.

Scratch building for me to is great fun and part of the entertainment of ship building, or for that matter all building.

:popcorn:

foxy :coolio:

I am humbled by your remarks, comeing from a shipbuilder as good as yourself !!

While I would not attempt scratch building with plastic, I am quite enjoying the challenge with this. If I do manage to complete the Endeavour then I would like to have a go scratch building from plans useing all the offcuts amassed in the workshop. After years of churning out boreing doors and windows, now retired i am now finding it very refreshing buiding projects like this. Lime when available is cheap as chips here, I have just got to find a way of stripping it down into thin planking, but haveing just looked at Seadogs build, he might just have put ideas into my head with a plane!!