Rob

On 3/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Nick Charnock said:

She's coming together nicely,

Great job mate.

Cheers

Nick

On 3/5/2020 at 9:05 PM, RussellE said:

She's coming along nicely Keith.

As nice as the Tamiya kit is for it's age, one of its shortcoming is lack of surface details on the superstructure. You seem to be picking up all the missing details nicely though and bringing her up to speed.

It will of course be interesting to see what kind of kit Flyhawk present us with, when they release their 1/350 rendition of Prince of Wales.

cheers Lads Russell the Kagero book is showing a lot of things that are missing

So next thing to get more add on treatment is the 5.25 guns ladders, doors and hatches

spacer.png

and my variation on these drawings

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 10

Well Missus B and I where supposed to be going to Benidorm tomorrow for our annual St Patrick's day celebrations with friends :drink:(yes I do have some) But with the current issues that was all brought to a drastic halt

So I will be self isolating in my model room for a few days instead  :whistle:

so got on with some work on the rangefinders missus B thinks I'm  going to be doing work around the house while I am of work Yeah Right

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fiddly little suckers

beefy

• Like 13

Nice detail, beefy! 👍

One of our sons was supposed to fly to a resort in Mexico today.  Not! :fraidnot:

Students from our two local universities have an unsanctioned St. Patrick's Day street party each year.  Last year an estimated 30K partiers showed up.  It'll be interesting to see what happens this year.

John

• Thanks 1

Well

On 3/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, robgizlu said:

You've nailed them Beefy :coolio:

Sorry to hear about Benidorm - I was supposed tobe off to Italy :whistle:

Rob

The most worrying thing for our family is our son is supposed to get married end of May not sure how long this will all last :facepalm:

On 3/15/2020 at 3:30 PM, JohnWS said:

Nice detail, beefy! 👍

One of our sons was supposed to fly to a resort in Mexico today.  Not! :fraidnot:

Students from our two local universities have an unsanctioned St. Patrick's Day street party each year.  Last year an estimated 30K partiers showed up.  It'll be interesting to see what happens this year.

John

John hope your St Paddy's day celebrations are going  OK first time in 20 years I will not be with friends enjoying the Guiness and sunshine :drink:

On 3/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, longshanks said:

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Great work on show above

cheers KEV at least I'm getting some time at the beach with the dog and missus B Ohh and some bench time

So next update been adding more railings and the secondary armament is painted and dry fitted

spacer.png

spacer.png

And some of the smaller handrails around the small arms areas on the forward funnel

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 9

Gidday Beefy, I hope your son's wedding gets sorted in time, events are getting canned all over, down here too.

The build is looking very good, the PE you've added really enhances it, the ladders, railing and radar. Enjoy your self-imposed isolation. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

John hope your St Paddy's day celebrations are going  OK first time in 20 years I will not be with friends enjoying the Guiness and sunshine :drink:

Thanks beefy.

Province issued a state of emergency this morning.  Photos from the party street show no one on the street except for police & emergency medical personnel.  Bars & restaurants closed, as well.  Quite a change from last year.

John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I hope your son's wedding gets sorted in time, events are getting canned all over, down here too.

41 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Quite a change from last year.

Jeff /John

I think we will just have to all hope that things get back to as normal as possible and quickly things are not looking good anywhere  and thanks for the kind words really appreciate it

beefy

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 6:10 AM, beefy66 said:

... Russell the Kagero book is showing a lot of things that are missing

So next thing to get more add on treatment is the 5.25 guns ladders, doors and hatches

beefy

Nice work on the HACS directors and the 5.25"s Keith!

Yep, although the Tamiya kit is "nice" enough, it lacks many details we've come to expect these days on model kits.

Best wishes to all for their health in these crazy times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

loved reading through the thread, some very fine work.

Not a ship not but built one myself recently and I have wondered giving they used a massive about of grey for the camo why did they stick a load of boats with White tops right in the centre of the ship.

Were these small boats just white in peace time and painted grey in Wartime?

MTIA.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, George Norman said:

Were these small boats just white in peace time and painted grey in Wartime?

MTIA.

In a nutshell, yes, that was the direction given in the wartime camouflage orders.

That said, the people who best knew camouflage, how it worked and what undermined its effectiveness were mostly relatively junior officers. There was often a discretional clause allowed for in these orders giving the old brass hats some latitude to exercise their ignorant whims and do the exact opposite. Few Lt. Cdr.s would want to be perceived to be bossing an Admiral around and frankly not all Admirals could conceive that someone of junior rank might just have something to offer them - although by the end of the war most of the command officers were practical, pragmatic types.

It's difficult to say with absolute certainty that all ships in wartime would have been painted correctly with all their accessories likewise, but personally I'd usually start with that as a basis and address anomalies as I find them in photographs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

frankly not all Admirals could conceive that someone of junior rank might just have something to offer them

Much like my place of work today, some things don't change.

Stuart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At least one 25ft FMBs appear to be dark blue / white upperworks throughout KGVs career. the 45ft Diesel Pickets seem to share hull colour/upperworks in the same colours as KGV herself (in her two-tone scheme). It's quite common for the motor boats to have white upperworks for capital ships and ignore the camouflage pattern entirely, but as Jamie said check pics. It's typically some mix.

Edited by foeth
  • Like 2

Students from our two local universities have an unsanctioned St. Patrick's Day street party each year.

Only one a year?

They're giving students a bad name.

Tom

• Haha 2

Nice work Beefy.

I do hope your son's wedding goes ahead

Heard about Nissan suspending production - not certain that affects you - if it does - I hope it's in a positive way.

Keep the good work coming - interesting reflections on ship's boat colours - Thanks Fellas

Rob

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RussellE said:

Nice work on the HACS directors and the 5.25"s Keith!

Yep, although the Tamiya kit is "nice" enough, it lacks many details we've come to expect these days on model kits.

Best wishes to all for their health in these crazy times!

Cheers Russell not sure my model will be a patch on your build but the kit is a good one for its age to start and add on as much as you want and stay safe yourself mate

@George NormanI think @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and@foeth have it spot on with the ships boats I have gone with the white as there are photos in books and on the web of these being this colour which would tie in with the time period of KGV being in the BPF scheme after her 1944 refit plus I think just the sheer size of the ship would give it away to spotters before they could see the white bits. I have also seen photos of destroyers with the white whalers from much earlier in the war?

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Much like my place of work today, some things don't change.

I know exactly what you mean Stuart

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice work Beefy.

I do hope your son's wedding goes ahead

Heard about Nissan suspending production - not certain that affects you - if it does - I hope it's in a positive way.

Keep the good work coming - interesting reflections on ship's boat colours - Thanks Fellas

Rob

Cheers Rob as for the wedding looks like it will be postponed to later in the year 

As for work I go back tomorrow 2 days early to save a couple of days holiday for the above change and also a request from the shop manager the Casting plant is behind in production so this gives them a chance to catch up not building the cars.

Well small slow update making up the Pompoms the kit part and the WEM PE added :hypnotised: and I thought the HACS where fiddly

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 11

Hi Keith

Whilst that sounds onerous - I'm pleased it's nothing more unpleasant.

Sorry to hear about the wedding but if I'm honest I thinkthat's the pragmatic call.

A lot of mine are now really worried - as it appears is the government (finally)

Sadly I supsect we have 3 months + of this.

The Pom-poms look Fab.  Look on the bright side - it could be 1/700 ;)

Rob

• Like 1

Gidday Beefy, those pompoms look very good. Regarding the comments about the colour of ship's boats there is maybe another aspect to ponder. I guess it is understandable for ship's commanding officers to want their vessels as hard to see as possible by an enemy in wartime, hence the sometimes very plain colour schemes. But as a modeler why make a model that is not noticeable? So I sometimes add small bits of highlight. In aircraft this could be a bright pilot's helmet. With ships it is sometimes a more brightly coloured boat, to break-up the monotony of drab grey. While it may not be authentic it can sometimes improve a model a little. This is just an opinion, mind.     Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3

Well nearly a week building these up now working from home and is just as bad as being in the office the dog is not happy with this one walk a day lark either :dog:

any how lot more people worse off than me stop whining beefy support the NHS as best you can people I keep telling missus b to remember the 2 meter rule sure she does it on purpose 

the pompoms and starting on the twin power mounts

spacer.png

and got some work done on the base fist coat of silicone and then primer

spacer.png

Stay Safe and keep modelling it is the only thing that will keep you sane

beefy

• Like 12

Pom-poms look Fab as does the sea-scape Sculpt.

Sorry about the dog walking.

Keep the 2 metre rule!!!

I'm in self isolation from my family and am now living in our attic rooms.

The good news is food brought to me........

The Bad news.......I'm a huggy sort of Guy

It's already getting slightly ugly in my area with the routine NHS having virtually shut down.  

Lots of my patients left adrift 

It's going to get worse- the phrase we have is ................."Smile with the eyes!"

Keep it coming Beefy

Rob

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

... Pom-poms look Fab as does the sea-scape Sculpt.

Sorry about the dog walking.

Keep the 2 metre rule!!!

It's going to get worse- the phrase we have is ................."Smile with the eyes!"

Keep it coming Beefy ...

:ditto:

John

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

... I'm in self isolation from my family and am now living in our attic rooms.

The good news is food brought to me........

The Bad news.......I'm a huggy sort of Guy

It's already getting slightly ugly in my area with the routine NHS having virtually shut down.  

Lots of my patients left adrift 

It's going to get worse- the phrase we have is ................."Smile with the eyes!" ...

Hang in there Rob.  You're one of my heroes.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2