HMS King George V

Hi Keith

great to see this one moving again! Come on mate, you can do it! 🙂

PS do those Kagero drawings show how she was rigged?

Edited by RussellE

8 hours ago, RussellE said:

Hi Keith

great to see this one moving again! Come on mate, you can do it! 🙂

PS do those Kagero drawings show how she was rigged?

Hi Russell no pressure then it has only been 5 years or so in the making  :rage:

the Kagero books are a great reference I think and they do show some of the main rigging I would heartily recommend them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a couple of others for when I get time away from work which is mental at the minute  :doh:

spacer.png

PM sent Russell might be of some help?

beefy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Russell no pressure then it has only been 5 years or so in the making  :rage:

the Kagero books are a great reference I think and they do show some of the main rigging I would heartily recommend them.

And a couple of others for when I get time away from work which is mental at the minute  :doh:

PM sent Russell might be of some help?

beefy

Hi Keith

just a little bit of pressure... it's always good for motivation 😉 Lord knows I've taken long enough to complete my build of KGV (5.5 years and counting) 😂 With just the rigging left to do, it's nearing the finish line now at last.

Thank you very much for the assistance with the plans! PM reply sent as well 😎

Looking forward to seeing both of our Kings finished soon! 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well back to this build and I have set myself a target to actually get this finished in 2020 so all other work is on hold :whistle: no it really is.

Placed all the sub assemblies together and made a start on the launches adding the deck cradles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefyyy

• Like 13

Good resolve Beefy - I shall be here to remind you.

It's looking very fine!!

Big boys made me buy a Flyhawk Prince of Wales in 1/700 after seeing your build B)

I'll be picking your brains and using your build as a tutorial :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Good resolve Beefy - I shall be here to remind you.

It's looking very fine!!

Big boys made me buy a Flyhawk Prince of Wales in 1/700 after seeing your build B)

I'll be picking your brains and using your build as a tutorial :winkgrin:

Rob

Cheers Rob but If I was you think I would be better off following @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies He is doing a POW in 700 scale 

KGV I am doing is a late version so it is a different set up with the boats and the Walrus plane 

but keep reminding me you know how I get easily distracted :whistle:

beefy 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 7:21 AM, Courageous said:

Not that old gag...weakling. :rofl:

We all have those kind of weakness @Courageous Stuart don't we :whistle:

Well after my weekend away with Missus b in Edinburgh I have started to look at some of the missing details on the model compared to the Top Drawings big mistake :rage:

First up the Bulwarks at midships quite a gap on the fit so I have had to fill in along the deck edge

Then there should be a ladder just aft of the crane position so drilled and filed that out

The main bridge structures have ladders that in the kit fit into a large location slot so this was filled ready for the PE

See I learn a lot from my past mistakes usually to late though  :facepalm:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

See I learn a lot from my past mistakes usually to late though

Gidday Beefy, As long as you learn from them. And it's not too late - for the next build. She's looking good, and get a move on! You've only got 10 1/2 months left. 😁  Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Yep, we do but Rob was blaming the 'big boys'...weak, like all of us.

Stuart

Hey I resemble that remark!!!

The old Matthews family motto comes into play ;)

Nonne magnus pueris et aufugit

Rob

• Haha 4

Small update this week bridge ladders fitted and boat deck getting fitted out

spacer.png

spacer.png

and picked up a bargain at Aldi for £7.99 might come in handy for when I get round to scratch building something

spacer.png

Also been adding some of the missing doors

IMG-6926.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

Looking excellent there Beefy, really tidy work.

Aldi you say, hmmm. Not that I'm easily sold on tools that I may need once in the next 40 years...

Tool envy, terrible affliction. Someone should get the WHO to classify it. 

Geoff 

• Like 1

My calipers are almost identical but about 20 years old. Time to visit Aldi, a spare is invaluable and at £7.99...        :frantic:

Oh... Lovely work Beefy!!!          :blush:

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, KAYELL said:

New sponsor Keith?

No sponsorships here mate wish I had though :coolio:

Another small update been studying the Kagero book and noticed more stuff to add to the aft range finder platform doors ladders and rails and platform shape is wrong so added that from plastic strip otherwise the ladders would be floating in midair :idea:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and the forward funnel was missing some stuff so that was added using spare bits from the leftover bits on the PE frets

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 8

On 11/26/2019 at 3:27 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Not your mistake Keith - it's those dastardly instructions!

The kit otherwise is basically sound, but it's worth pointing out that KGV had a feature which may have been unique to the class and is missing from the kit or at least I've never noticed the parts if it is included - the kit has her flush at maindeck level between the funnels. KGV in fact had a raised bulwark between which presumably kept transiting crew a little dryer - sometimes!

7189945206_d58c9360a6_b.jpg

Is that the post war scheme, I have seen DDs and such painted that way

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

Is that the post war scheme, I have seen DDs and such painted that way

Hi @grahamwalker i will give this a go and probably get it wrong and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies will be along to correct me from the ship craft book I have it has this scheme of 507B hull and 507C all upper surfaces as a very late war scheme for Capital ships this was applied after the Pacific fleet scheme so the Photo probably is Post war but as usual I could be wrong again :book:

beefy

17 minutes ago, dickrd said:

That is indeed immediately postwar. The scheme was introduced cOct 1945. The whole hull was B20 and the upperworks G45 in that scheme.

Thanks for that information @dickrd i knew someone would be able to point me in the right direction  :yes:

beefy

• Like 1

Well been working on the ships boats and cranes all painted up and fitted to the boat deck and a few extra details added to the cranes

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And started fitting the anchor chains

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 14

She's coming along nicely Keith.

As nice as the Tamiya kit is for it's age, one of its shortcoming is lack of surface details on the superstructure. You seem to be picking up all the missing details nicely though and bringing her up to speed.

It will of course be interesting to see what kind of kit Flyhawk present us with, when they release their 1/350 rendition of Prince of Wales.

• Thanks 1