HMS King George V

Hi mate, looks like you've been doing lots of your squinty eye face there. Watching and learning from your build as always.

Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this one back it has been on the shelf for a while so as soon as I get. My Huron and Independance done this will be next out of the yard after my holiday that is.

Beefy

• 3 years later...

Right well it is time to get my finger out and dust this one off and make sure I get it done this time over 4 years keep going to re-start but always end up doing other things  :rage:

so this is how she is doing not so good one of the small whalers is damaged from storage will have to find a replacement.

getting this one read inbetween the Sovremenny while waiting for the base to set on that build and to try and clear some of the stuff I have building up on the shelf  :doh:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Luckily I had this handy storage box for the cranes and funnels will have to find some more for future builds I think

spacer.png

And now have some good reference to work from

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 8

Yes Boss :whip:

Hi Jamie I was wondering how long it would take for some one to pick up on that mistake amongst other bits 

A long time ago in a Galaxy hold up wrong build 

a very long time ago I set out on this build as a starter for my photo etched learning curve I soon discovered it was to big and at the time completely out of my depth :snorkle:

So I started on some smaller things to gain some experience and skills we all got to learn some time :doh: and boy have I learned the hard way.

I have been reading through your excellent information from your website @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and have purchased some more of the great paints for this build from Duncan @Blackmike at the Scale Scotland show so all the upper greys will need re-doing and the blue grey side panels.

If you have any other interesting information that might help please feel free to give me the nudge in the right direction please 

Cheers beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not your mistake Keith - it's those dastardly instructions!

The kit otherwise is basically sound, but it's worth pointing out that KGV had a feature which may have been unique to the class and is missing from the kit or at least I've never noticed the parts if it is included - the kit has her flush at maindeck level between the funnels. KGV in fact had a raised bulwark between which presumably kept transiting crew a little dryer - sometimes!

7189945206_d58c9360a6_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It makes not much difference here but tonight I've just seen a photo of Anson in 1945 which has that bulwark also, so contrary to my post above it was not unique to KGV.

Now that sounds interesting because a very good friend KAYELL won twice on the raffle at the Keighley show and he gave me one of the prizes which happens to be another KGV kit I was thinking of converting to Duke of York or Anson but I think DOY has to have the POW base kit for that wonder if either of them had the same bulwark  :hmmm:

29 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

The KGV kit has the bulwarks, which were fitted to all the surviving members of the class when they lost their catapults.

That would have been when the ships boats where also moved from the rear to mid-ships to give better AA protection :idea: that is why it looks like some kind of add on platform in between the funnels.

beefy

Well here is the add on platform in question Tamiya just have it as this but with the boat stands molded on I have removed these and will replace with the PE ones also noticed that there should be doors on the lower platform bulkheads so added these from some WEM spares i had and drilled out X4 porthole as per the kagero drawings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see where the boat platform has ended up this must have created some extra covered in area under the new boat deck

and you can see on the aft funnel that there is a platform and ladders although no instruction for this from the WEM set I have added the railings and ladders to this from the spares I have.

spacer.png

and I have started to re-paint the upper structures with the correct Light grey and blue panels

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 12

Gidday Beefy, she's looking very good. I have an observation regarding the bilge keels. On your model they appear to extend back to the rear 14-inch turret, but in the drawings you've shown they only go back as far as the rearmost 5.25-inch. I thought I'd mention it so if they need to be altered it might be easier before too much fine fiddly bits get added. I hope I haven't thrown a spanner in the works. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Beefy, she's looking very good. I have an observation regarding the bilge keels. On your model they appear to extend back to the rear 14-inch turret, but in the drawings you've shown they only go back as far as the rearmost 5.25-inch. I thought I'd mention it so if they need to be altered it might be easier before too much fine fiddly bits get added. I hope I haven't thrown a spanner in the works. Regards, Jeff.

53 minutes ago, Courageous said:

A blast from the past there Beefy, she looks great and with Jamie passing on his paint advice, she'll look even better (even with that possible spanner of  Jeff's being thrown in)

Stuart

Good spot Jeff I had not noticed the keel length and no spanner in the works either as this is going in the water and so will not be seen I had already posted this at the start of the build but here is the base so far

spacer.png

and the re-paint is nearly done with the right colours I hope and a few touch in to do

spacer.png

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 9

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

as this is going in the water and so will not be seen I had already posted this at the start of the build

Gidday Beefy, Sorry, I missed that bit. I'm glad it won't be a problem. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Looking good mate. I had a love hate relationship with the PE on this (which is a vast improvement as previously I just hated PE with a vengeance)

Loving the look of the base too.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 6:13 PM, Courageous said:

How did you do the waves, a hot-wire cutter or knife from the kitchen?

On 11/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, robgizlu said:

I was going to enquire the very same :lol:

Stuart and Rob no such posh things as hot wire needed just a few hand tools from the armoury(Garage) and Stuart kitchen knives stay in the kitchen would not want any bits and pieces on any of my food  :wonder:

Any how here are the tools I use for making my bases

Handsaw, cope saw, rasp file, craft knife, wood chisels, various sand papers and a bit of wood for sanding flat surfaces then there is the PVA wood glue and brush and finally the silicone and not forgetting the face mask for safety. :phew:

spacer.png

And a couple of Black Friday deals I have picked up

spacer.png

spacer.png

@ArnoldAmbrose@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, and @kpnuts thanks for looking in Ken I know what you mean about the PE it is a bit daunting at first but I liked the way you did you KGV with all the brass on show different and interesting to see how much was added. 

beefy

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Gidday Beefy, USS Alaska eh! Now I'm REALLY jealous! I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me she is one of the best looking USN ships ever. About 45 years ago (just out of high school) I commenced a scratch build of her in balsa, about 1/600 scale (I simply doubled the size of a drawing in the cover of a book). After doing the hull I decided I couldn't get the detail I wanted so I restarted it the following year, again doubling the size. I still have it, in bits, all done with balsa and a bit of paper. All off one drawing. I now have ambitions of trying again, sometime in the future, now that I use styrene.

This is a rather long-winded way of saying I'll be following your build of her when you start it. And my apologies if I've high-jacked your thread here a little, Sorry.     Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1