Fairey Battle Mk.I, 301 Squadron, 1/72 Airfix (Bilek)

Sometimes I do very strange things... One of them is this - "vintage style" Airfix` Fairey Battle. I think the kit is about 40 years old, it`s very simplified and has lot of errors. The one and only reason was that I could not get an MPM kit of Battle, meanwhile this one (reboxed by Bilek) was widely available. Made out of the box, only extra decals from SP Decal were used, because I wanted it in Polish markings. I changed something in the propeller area, but I don`t remember what. The built takes me only few hours, most of them spent on painting.

So here it is: Fairey Battle Mk.I, serial L5597, GR-F, 301. (Polish) Squadron RAF, August 1940.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by alex_stela
new links to photos
  • Like 28

Very nice build. As a kit it doesn't look too bad, it's certainly one I would consider building despite the issues and inaccuracies. It would also make a nice contrast to a Kate as the long canopy is a feature on both. Sometimes I think one of the fun things about this hobby is building the model regardless if it's vintage Airfix, short-run East European or a super hi-tech Japanese kit.

I mean few WORK hours of course. :-) Every modeller knows that modelling is WAITING first. Wait for glue to dry, wait for putty to dry, wait for every single paint layer to dry... But in fact it took me few hours of job and few days of waiting. :-) That's why I usually build 3-4-5 models at the same time. Some of them waits months to be finished. Now I'm working on Hasegawa's F-14, which I started in January 2014. :-)

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

well done on this Battle! It does look great, especially knowing its pedigree!

I have a question for you: I always thought the Polish insignia was always painted with the same colour (forgot if it was red or white... just a blonde moment, it will pass...) on the top left of the square.

On your model, each side has the "square" in different position... So I am now confused! Any help from you would be welcome!

Great show all around!

JR

Edited by jean

Thank you, guys!

I have a question for you: I always thought the Polish insignia was always painted with the same colour (forgot if it was red or white... just a blonde moment, it will pass...) on the top left of the square.

On your model, each side has the "square" in different position... So I am now confused! Any help from you would be welcome!

Unfortunately there was no regularity in RAF`s Polish squadrons. Generally the top-left square was red in most cases, but not always, so it`s better to check pictures of real plane in any case. My Fairey Battle is a good example:

301_Battles.jpg

Great build and version.

Built this kit myself but I take 3 months not 3 days or hours to finish a single prop 1/72 kit LOL!

Nice Battle indeed

Cheers