Classic Airframes DH Sea Hornet NF.21

I love it! Especially in those markings. Daren't say otherwise really after my not so subtle hint of the other day! :goodjob:

I shall be sad to see this most educational of builds come to an end.

Martin

• Like 2

I love it! Especially in those markings. Daren't say otherwise really after my not so subtle hint of the other day! :goodjob:

I shall be sad to see this most educational of builds come to an end.

Martin

Thanks Martin, Danielle and Tony,

Having the original rear fuselage from VW957, when I modelled an NF21 it was always going to be in this scheme, but I'm pleased its been so well received.

I will upload a couple of images showing some of the night fighters with these yellow bands on. They were used for radar intercept training after they came to the end of use on carriers with 809NAS.

Edited by David A Collins

Here are a couple of images showing some added detail.

They are super-close-ups of some areas, so even the smallest dimple looks like a mountain! :banghead:

White tyre markings.

DSCN9303.jpg

Starboard side small round intake in leading edge.

DSCN9302.jpg

Port side small round intake in leading edge.

DSCN9301.jpg

Correct position and length for Sea Hornet pitot tube. (Note this position is moved towards the wing tip on the RAF Hornet).

DSCN9300.jpg

Canopy paint and markings. On the two original canopies I have, you can see red/orange dashes along two edges of the sliding canopy. When you start looking at photo's of this area, you can just make out these "cut here" markings.

DSCN9299.jpg

Close ups of front screen. The screen is frameless along the front uprights. What can be seen in photos are two thin black lines of rubber sealant between the three panels of glass, that cover a pair of steel tie rods in reality. In this scale these lines would be 0.5mm thick. The rest of the frame would be the main colour of the airframe (grey in this case, but silver, or grey/green on others). Only on the Classic airframes kit can you paint these thin lines correctly, as they have not really defined the edges here due to the vac-forming process limitations. At present, I don't know how I'm going to address the Trumpeter canopy in this area, as it is the wrong shape entirely and heavily framed.

DSCN9298.jpg

The top of the assembly is an aluminium casting, and the rear uprights are folded steel.

DSCN9296.jpg

See below photo showing the actual screen assembly. Note the lower aluminium casting is represented here by its wooden pattern.

Hornet%20cockpit%203.jpg

• Like 5

She would look good photographed against a backdrop of St Davids airfield as it is now..................I might even have some pictures somewhere.

Martin

This is my final update on this build.

I have added the four wing blisters on the outer wings. These cover the hinges on the upper surfaces of the wing, and allow it to fold upwards. These have been made from sanded sprue, and weren't available in the original kit.

Blisters.jpg

Underneath of the fuselage on a Sea Hornet can be found the two forged steel hooks that the steam catapult strop is attached to. In this image you can see the small aluminium parts added underneath the main spar.

hooks.jpg

I'll create a Ready For Inspection thread soon to include the ground equipment diorama.

• Like 2

Nice work, and great reference information. Dutifully bookmarked. Thanks for educating us!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill and Ex-FAAWAFU

It's been a modelling challenge for my first build thread. I'm glad it has gone down well with everyone, and now hope that we will see some more Hornets with correct details and a wider variety of colour schemes. When I helped select the artwork for the D+V book we wanted to show a good range of colours and schemes, that had not fully been published before.

Hi Bill and Ex-FAAWAFU

It's been a modelling challenge for my first build thread. I'm glad it has gone down well with everyone, and now hope that we will see some more Hornets with correct details and a wider variety of colour schemes. When I helped select the artwork for the D+V book we wanted to show a good range of colours and schemes, that had not fully been published before.

David

It has been an inspirational build. Thank you for shedding light on so many aspects of the hornet... and on the inaccuracies of the various kits 'out there'. Apologies if I have missed it earlier in the thread, but what is the title of the book you refer to?

David

It has been an inspirational build. Thank you for shedding light on so many aspects of the hornet... and on the inaccuracies of the various kits 'out there'. Apologies if I have missed it earlier in the thread, but what is the title of the book you refer to?

Hi Keith,

I hope this is ok with the moderators? "Our" Hornet book was published five years ago by Dalrymple and Verdun. The principal author is the much respected Tony Buttler. Myself and Martin Derry edited it, and provided the majority of photo's, direction on the artwork, and full technical references. Mark Gauntlet did the artwork. It was very much a labour of love from a collection of Hornet fans.

We have tried to build on the knowlege base and references of previously published books by: Air Britain (Lewis Cooper), Tony Buttler (Warpaint 19), Philip Birtles (Profile Publications 174), and Alan Leahey (Ad Hoc).

In most cases we expanded on the information they contained, and in a few areas we have corrected some errors that crept in over the years without a physical airframe to go and look at.

The two most recent books are: Dalrymple and Verdun (DH Hornet and Sea Hornet) and Ad Hoc (Sea Hornet - From the cockpit). Knowing the Ad Hoc book was specifically for the Naval variant, we biased the D+V book towards the RAF version, even though there is a chapter on the Sea Hornet too. I think they are complementary when read together.

• Like 2

I assume from the fact that his book is about the Sea Hornet that the Alan Leahy you refer to is "Spiv" Leahy, a well-known FAA pilot of the era (& by all accounts a top bloke). I have loads of the From The Cockpit series, and they are all excellent (loads of great photos), but I've never managed to find the Sea Hornet volume

[Edit: a simple insertion of "Alan Spiv Leahy" into Google (other search engines are available, kids) suggests I am right; the first item is an IWM sound recording of him talking about his career, and boy did he have an interesting time: he got his wings in the US during the war, and flew the Corsair, Seafire, Barracuda, Firebrand, Sea Mossie (those three as a ferry pilot, I think), Sea Hornet, Sea Fury, Sea Hawk, Hunter, Scimitar and Buccaneer S1 (as the first Boss of 809 as they converted to the type). Then Wings of Hermes, C.O. of Lossie, before ending up as a Commodore and the MoD desk officer in charge of introducing the Sea Harrier. As a list of types to fly, to my eyes that is pretty much perfect! Only the Vixen & Toom missing from my dream list?..]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

I assume from the fact that his book is about the Sea Hornet that the Alan Leahy you refer to is "Spiv" Leahy, a well-known FAA pilot of the era (& by all accounts a top bloke). I have loads of the From The Cockpit series, and they are all excellent (loads of great photos), but I've never managed to find the Sea Hornet volume

[Edit: a simple insertion of "Alan Spiv Leahy" into Google (other search engines are available, kids) suggests I am right; the first item is an IWM sound recording of him talking about his career, and boy did he have an interesting time: he got his wings in the US during the war, and flew the Corsair, Seafire, Barracuda, Firebrand, Sea Mossie (those three as a ferry pilot, I think), Sea Hornet, Sea Fury, Sea Hawk, Hunter, Scimitar and Buccaneer S1 (as the first Boss of 809 as they converted to the type). Then Wings of Hermes, C.O. of Lossie, before ending up as a Commodore and the MoD desk officer in charge of introducing the Sea Harrier. As a list of types to fly, to my eyes that is pretty much perfect! Only the Vixen & Toom missing from my dream list?..]

Hi,

Yes, Alan Leahy and "Spiv" are one and the same. I had the pleasure of meeting him, around 2005 I think. He is indeed a really good chap. The Ad Hoc publication is really worth getting, if not for the photo's but also the personal recollections of those who flew the Sea Hornet.

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

I hope this is ok with the moderators? "Our" Hornet book was published five years ago by Dalrymple and Verdun. The principal author is the much respected Tony Buttler. Myself and Martin Derry edited it, and provided the majority of photo's, direction on the artwork, and full technical references. Mark Gauntlet did the artwork. It was very much a labour of love from a collection of Hornet fans.

We have tried to build on the knowlege base and references of previously published books by: Air Britain (Lewis Cooper), Tony Buttler (Warpaint 19), Philip Birtles (Profile Publications 174), and Alan Leahey (Ad Hoc).

In most cases we expanded on the information they contained, and in a few areas we have corrected some errors that crept in over the years without a physical airframe to go and look at.

The two most recent books are: Dalrymple and Verdun (DH Hornet and Sea Hornet) and Ad Hoc (Sea Hornet - From the cockpit). Knowing the Ad Hoc book was specifically for the Naval variant, we biased the D+V book towards the RAF version, even though there is a chapter on the Sea Hornet too. I think they are complementary when read together.

Many Thanks

Keith

what brand and paint numbers did you use?

You'll probably cringe, but they were all done with aerosol acrylic spray cans, and a bit of Tamiya masking tape.

Humbrol

Sea Grey Matt 27

Beige Green Matt 90

Acrylic Varnish Matt

Revell

Yellow Matt 15

• 1 year later...
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 21:32, crobinsonh said:

Apologies if this is obvious but does that include the Dynavector Sea Hornet?

Hello David

Sorry to disturb but is the trumpeter one's corrected or... more surgery is lying ahead for me.

Corsaircorp

34 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello David

Sorry to disturb but is the trumpeter one's corrected or... more surgery is lying ahead for me.

Corsaircorp

Lots of surgery......usual Trumpy research was , 'we found some plans on the internet'   and that's the research done....

John Adams list faults, along with  some fixes, 

HTH

T

• Like 1

For an accurate representation of a Hornet or Sea Hornet in 1/48 scale, start with a Classic Airframes or Dynavector kit. You will still need to correct these though. The key items are the length, and position of the undercarriage/doors to the nacelles.

The Trumpeter kit has lots of shape and dimensional differences to the real thing, and I wouldn't know where to start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Lots of surgery......usual Trumpy research was , 'we found some plans on the internet'   and that's the research done....

John Adams list faults, along with  some fixes, 

HTH

T

Hello Troy,

What I've to say is "Scalpel, compress, and so..."

I carry on my Spitfire researches and surgery.

Thank again.

Corsaircorp