Classic Airframes DH Sea Hornet NF.21

For some time now I have been meaning to build a 1:48 scale Sea Hornet with some access panels and cowlings removed or open, to expose the detail within. Specifically this will be for the radar, one engine, and one radiator. The canopy will be slid back, and the ventral door open showing the radar operators station within.

Having spent much of the past 6 months working hard on the 1:1 version ahead of the Newark show, I can now begin.

I will use this thread to highlight the internal colours, correct positions of parts, and minor alterations to the basic shape that are required.

I've chosen the Classic Airframes kit as this is currently the best overall shape to start with.

The aircraft to be depicted will be NF.21 VW957. I have the original rear fuselage from this aircraft, so it seems a fitting subject. VW957 served with 809 NAS but ended its days based at St.Davids marked with yellow training bands and BQ on the fin. I'm going to paint it in this final scheme.

The only additional resin parts I will be adding at present will be a Merlin engine and a set of main wheels, as everything else is likely to be made from sprue, wire or plastic card.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 4

Cool! I have to be very interested in this build as I have plans to build a St Davids based NF21 in the future. :popcorn:

Martin

I've re-measured the CA NF.21 Sea Hornet.

With the exception of the following modifications, I still believe it contains the least errors in any kit yet.

The overall fuselage with radar is 8mm too short, but given the small positional differences in a number or parts, I will only be inserting a 6.5mm plug into the rear fuselage, just ahead of the fin. This will then put the fin and tailplane in a good location.

The spinners need extending by 1mm only.

The complete canopy/screen asy needs moving forward by 2mm.

• Like 2

With the exception of the following modifications, I still believe it contains the least errors in any kit yet.

The fuselage is 8mm too short. This is corrected by inserting a new fuselage plug ahead of the fin.

The tailplane span is 9mm too narrow. Add 4.5mm to each side.

Hi David - what's your take on the wheel wells in the nacelles being too far forward?

Jonners

[edited for clarity]

Thanks all for following this thread.

Hopefully my modelling skills will be up to standard?

Feel free to chip in with advice on any aspect of this build. I know a lot about the Hornet, but don't profess to have all the knowledge, so if someone see's an issue with dimensions or details please share.

Hi Jonners,

According to my dimensions the overall engine/wheel nacelles appear to be within 1mm of where they should be on this kit.

As for the underside cutout where the leg/wheel folds into, I will feedback on the correct dimensions when I have checked them.

The overall fuselage with radar is 8mm too short, but given the small positional differences in a number or parts, I will only be inserting a 6.5mm plug into the rear fuselage, just ahead of the fin. This will then put the fin and tailplane in a good location.

The tailplane span is 9mm too narrow. Add 4.5mm to each side.

Apologies if this is obvious but does that include the Dynavector Sea Hornet?

The first stage is to cut the fuselage to the correct length. After some playing around with the cut position, I chose to cut it where bulkhead 7 should be, as this will have minimal visual effect along the tapering fuselage, while still re-positioning the fin and tail-plane further aft.

The nose and belly door have also been cut out too.

I will leave the bubble canopy cutout in position at present to keep some strength in the fuselage, but will remove this later in the build. The only other work to note is general de-burring of the halves and removing the injection points inside.

36649503064_8398933fbe_b.jpg. by hornet project

• Like 2

It looks quite a good place to cut the fuselage. How are you planning to restore the tailplane fairings and the tail wheel bay?

Martin

I will scratch build these fairings.

I'll add a bulkhead to the cut face. The tail wheel leg will attach to this.

Fortunately the fin comes with its own dorsal extension, so this can be positioned perfectly.

• Like 1

These are the rear fuselage resin parts that come with the kit. I've removed them from the moulding blocks and trimmed off the minor flashing.

Upon investigating the tail wheel bay, it fits nicely into the cut off section, and its front bulkhead number 7 is the perfect aligning feature with the "new" cut end of the main fuselage.

37328705602_47755484c5_b.jpg. by hornet project

I must say that whoever did the research did an excellent job. The four following photo's show the radar operators cockpit in the rear fuselage. Classic airframes have made an excellent job of it, an I think I'll only add the two boxes marked "S" as well as the seat and radio mounted above the wing in the centre section. To take account of the scale, I'll be painting this with a mix of dark and light greys, with aluminium for the cables. Painting the original matt black here will turn it into a detail-less black hole.

Looking to rear:

37328702942_7bd519cbce_b.jpg. by hornet project

Looking to starboard:

37328704592_2982a058db_b.jpg. by hornet project

Looking forward:

36649501464_60d45e3ef6_b.jpg. by hornet project

Looking to port:

36649502454_3bd1058b67_b.jpg. by hornet project

• Like 9

Here are the front and rear cockpit resin parts added to the fuselage halves after they have been trimmed from their moulding blocks.

Once again, Classic Airframes must have used very good references. This interior is pretty good for the RAF version (front cockpit only), but there are a few detail changes for the Sea Hornet, and some general "tweaks" that I will go through here.

What's good:

General detail and position of the inner resin parts is all spot-on. All parts from the kit can be used.

Minor tweaks are required on the following parts if desired:

Rudder pedals and front floor. The raised portion of floor under the rudder pedals should be horizontal. The kit has this piece angled up towards the front for some reason?

The rudder pedals should hang from the large oval 20deg armour plate ahead of the instrument panels.

However, because both of these areas are hidden, it is up to the modeller if they wish to go to the effort of modifying them or not.

Armour plate. Re-shape the profile as shown. The height should also be reduced from the lower edge, but I have not done this as it is hidden.

I have filed flat the kit supplied head pad, and vertical ladder once on the rear face of the plate. The Sea Hornet had an extended head pad on a damper to help with carrier landing/take-off acceleration. The ladder is repositioned horizontally above the ammunition boxes under the canopy.

Pilots seat. Use as-is, but add 4-bar link mounting pivots each side between the seat back and armour plate, very similar to Spitfire installation.

Extras required:

I will be adding some etch seat belts.

It will need a MK4E Gyro gunsite.

Ladder and head pad in pilots cockpit.

Cowl over the top of the instrument panel.

Head pad in observers position.

Folding seat for observer.

Colours:

Dark greys in place of matt black.

Seat is leather/brown resin.

Belts are still a hemp colour by the mid-50's.

36688832993_875b290e64_b.jpg. by hornet project

36688832533_4265c0980d_z.jpg. by hornet project

37328701782_499f756caf_b.jpg. by hornet project

Observers folding seat:

37102528500_736d3a76fa_b.jpgScan2b_1 by hornet project

• Like 7

Just for the record, the interior colours for a Hornet and Sea Hornet are as follows:

• Matt black for front and rear cockpits, including the inside of the radar operators hinged access door.
  • de Havilland interior green for the insides of the fuselage halves, and the front armoured bulkhead (both faces). Also, if engine cowls are to be removed, the engine bearers and support arches for the cowlings are green too.
  • White for the insides of the wing.
  • Painted aluminium for the insides of the tail-cone, undercarriage bays, engine firewall, inside of the nose cone, inside of the cannon fairing, inside of the hinged cannon access panel, inside the flaps.

For this model, I have used a base coat of Humbrol Matt 32 in place of the black in an effort to bring some of the detail out and stop it turning into a black-hole! I will apply a number of darker and lighter shades over the features to further highlight them.

I have also used a Humbrol Matt 120 to represent the de Havilland interior green, as this seems to match a sample of the airframe I have well. Having said that, depending on where DH aircraft were built, this shade alters greatly.

36688832093_4ac9e698bb_b.jpg. by hornet project

• Like 6

A few finishing touches to the interior paint.

The two ammunition boxes located behind the pilots seat are the correct size, and in the correct location. Just in front of them is located the aluminium hydraulic reservoir.

36688831293_f538990e2e_b.jpg. by hornet project

There isn't much colour in these cockpits, just the yellow friction knobs on the throttle box, the dark red surround on the two boost gauges, the yellow surround on the oil pressure gauge, the pru blue gun camera footage indicator, and the red fire extinguisher push buttons.

For example, this is my Hornet F.1 interior instrument panels for reference. Please note the red primer on the windscreen frame is not the final colour. This is finished in matt black.

37102527470_0b89bfe03e_b.jpgDSCN3068 by hornet project

The Classic airframe front canopy can be cut to shape for the NF21, and is a good shape on its rear end, which is blunted to clear the radar operators canopy when fully open. Note, for a non-NF21 version, you will need to shape a more slender "pen-nib" tip to the canopy to make it look correct.

37328722012_dd70ede9c3_b.jpg. by hornet project

However, I think the shape of the Classic Airframes rear canopy is too flat and long. I also have an unmade Trumpeter Hornet F.1, and upon investigating the sprue's, I found the rear canopy for an NF21 there too. I trial fitted this, and it is actually a much better shape. (Shame the Trumpeter pilots canopy is so wrong!). See following image showing the Trumpeter canopy sitting on top of the fuselage, and the CA version on the paper.

I cut the fuselage to match the Trumpeter rear canopy, rather than the CA version.

37102544770_6b5366d93b_b.jpg. by hornet project

Next came the nose armour bulkhead. As I am going to show the radar with the fairing removed, you will be able to see the radar support frame, the windscreen de-icer tank, and this armour plate. The colour will be interior green.

37311603816_3eb1095cd4_z.jpg. by hornet project

Note I have scored a horizontal line into the plastic card to represent the top hinged part of the armour, that electricians would access the rear of the instrument panel through.

37102543460_979dd1a86c_b.jpg. by hornet project

I have marked out the cannon fairing to be cut-out, to accept the resin part later.

• Like 7