1/32 Hawker Hunter - Revell

I do this plane now and I will paint too these colors. I think that I will cope with a task, it seems to me that I know how to make transitions smoother

There is a strong wish to experiment.....

Edited by Doctorgaz

Nice work there Tom. Hope you get her done in time but please don't rush and spoil all your hard work so far.

Months? Try 3 years :) I go this far with my 1:32 Hunter in May 2012...

Ooh I remember this one. Would love to see her finished as it'll look stunning once done. No chance you can save the paintwork with some careful Micromeshing and touch-ups?

Thanks everyone for the interest and positive comments :D

Time, I think, for another update as I'm motoring along with the Hunter thanks to that looming deadline. Decalling has started and the canopy and seat are being test-fitted and tweaked. I've also painted the wingtips, tail-cap and nose-cap:

DSCF9362_zps9evymf1t.jpg

DSCF9366_zpsohmh6n1k.jpg

DSCF9367_zpshtfh27gh.jpg

DSCF9368_zpsjoqmlgfe.jpg

DSCF9365_zpsjoq2pr1l.jpg

• Like 5

Cracking Hunter ! Best looking aircraft ever built love it.

Guy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys for the support :thumbsup: more gradual progress towards Telford to report tonight. First up the forward part of the canopy and the gunsight are now in place and tidied up:

DSCF9385_zpsb29nbpop.jpg

DSCF9388_zpsxoxdafah.jpg

DSCF9396_zpsckurtbe9.jpg

Some more of the decals are in place ( not many mind you but all the primary unit and national identifiers are there :evil_laugh: ) there are a heck of a lot of stencils to apply and I don't know if I'm going to get them all on in time - I'm thinking I might just add the most noticeable ones like the ejection seat warning triangles etc and leave off the smaller panel stencils, the question is will this be an obvious omission or not in this scale? (I normally work in 1/72 so don't tend to use stencil decals) :

DSCF9394_zpseyg3l0sa.jpg

DSCF9389_zpsdxps7vfp.jpg

Finally I've been gradually adding those little details like the vents and cartridge ejector tubes to the nose that add a lot of surface 'noise' to an airframe:

DSCF9398_zpsycyblyeb.jpg

All thoughts and comments welcomed as always.

Regards

Tom

• Like 4

Fantastic work so far, look forward to seeing it at SMW 2015. I think the Hunter is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. My uncle, sadly long dead was responsible for sorting out the casting techniques for the gun tubes....apparently there was an issue with them shattering on early aircraft, it was down to the metal cooling too quickly so I'm told.

• Like 2

Really looking the part Tom,great progress. :thumbsup:

Thanks Steve, not many day to go now though...

Don't skimp on the stencils, its a big model!

Okay :thumbsup2: as many stencils as I can will go on for the show - probably only the upper surfaces and fuselage sides as those will be the ones most visible.

That's beautiful. Was that Humbrol Metalcote for the underside? It's worked well.

Nearly there.

John

Thanks John :D Yep Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium from a rattlecan.

Fantastic work so far, look forward to seeing it at SMW 2015. I think the Hunter is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. My uncle, sadly long dead was responsible for sorting out the casting techniques for the gun tubes....apparently there was an issue with them shattering on early aircraft, it was down to the metal cooling too quickly so I'm told.

Thanks Old Foxtrot, I agree the Hunter is the personification of elegant design B)

Over an hour spent on stencil work tonight and the airframe doesn't look very different. But I'm sure it will in the end.

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

Tom I read through this build last night and have to say what a fantastic job you are making of this kit, really impressed with how you tackled the seams to improve the fit and reduce any filling. Paint work looks superb (got to love a British jet in grey and green) and I'm really impressed how you managed to make an all black pit look interesting and at the same time allow the details to "pop"

Ejection seat is a little gem. And very well done too amd a great addition to the build.

I've ummed and aahed a few times over this kit and your build has helped to persuade me to pick one up in the future

Great work mate

Pete

• Like 1

Stencilling can be extremely mind numbing but the final result is always worth the effort :coolio::winkgrin:

I think I may have developed the ability to stencil in my sleep over the last few nights Julien :evil_laugh: although its surprising how many its possible to apply in one session.

It is looking gorgeous! I must confess to having left off a stencil or two in my time...

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian :thumbsup2: I think it'll just be the underside stencils missing at Telford - but if you don't tell anyone then neither will I :winkgrin:

Tom I read through this build last night and have to say what a fantastic job you are making of this kit, really impressed with how you tackled the seams to improve the fit and reduce any filling. Paint work looks superb (got to love a British jet in grey and green) and I'm really impressed how you managed to make an all black pit look interesting and at the same time allow the details to "pop"

Ejection seat is a little gem. And very well done too amd a great addition to the build.

I've ummed and aahed a few times over this kit and your build has helped to persuade me to pick one up in the future

Great work mate

Pete

Wow thank you Pete :cheers: It's comments like yours that really make 'communal' modelling what it is. We all build for ourselves but knowing that our work can help to inspire others to attempt a kit is rather humbling - especially as I consider myself an 'average' modeller at best. There are some real modelling gods on this site (and others) and I can only aspire to their skills.

Now what follows may contain excessive and gratuitous exposure of stencilling and the attempts at getting them all straight :hypnotised: :

DSCF9407_zpsdcnpyb1s.jpg

DSCF9406_zpsqkkszs2n.jpg

DSCF9405_zpszrlzduju.jpg

DSCF9404_zpsmssy0rnr.jpg

DSCF9403_zpsn3izkypr.jpg

DSCF9402_zpsmx8dwh8q.jpg

6 days and counting till the deadline. Whats left to do? About another 40 stencils, undercarriage, wingtip nav lights, aerials and pitot. Fingers crossed :frantic: (oh and I have another 8 builds to wrap up for various SIGs) Remind me why we do this again?!? :bleh:

Regards

Tom

• Like 5

I think I may have developed the ability to stencil in my sleep over the last few nights Julien :evil_laugh: although its surprising how many its possible to apply in one session.

Cheers Adrian :thumbsup2: I think it'll just be the underside stencils missing at Telford - but if you don't tell anyone then neither will I :winkgrin:

Wow thank you Pete :cheers: It's comments like yours that really make 'communal' modelling what it is. We all build for ourselves but knowing that our work can help to inspire others to attempt a kit is rather humbling - especially as I consider myself an 'average' modeller at best. There are some real modelling gods on this site (and others) and I can only aspire to their skills.

Now what follows may contain excessive and gratuitous exposure of stencilling and the attempts at getting them all straight :hypnotised: :

DSCF9407_zpsdcnpyb1s.jpg

DSCF9406_zpsqkkszs2n.jpg

DSCF9405_zpszrlzduju.jpg

DSCF9404_zpsmssy0rnr.jpg

DSCF9403_zpsn3izkypr.jpg

DSCF9402_zpsmx8dwh8q.jpg

6 days and counting till the deadline. Whats left to do? About another 40 stencils, undercarriage, wingtip nav lights, aerials and pitot. Fingers crossed :frantic: (oh and I have another 8 builds to wrap up for various SIGs) Remind me why we do this again?!? :bleh:

Regards

Tom

We call this having fun Tom :mental::winkgrin:

The stencils look great :goodjob:

Edited by Gremlin56

Cheers guys :thumbsup2:

Just the wing stencils left to add now but today saw a major milestone:

DSCF9408_zpsgzfzs9v3.jpg

DSCF9409_zpsgwedmnkg.jpg

Yes :yahoo: she stands on all three legs, nice and level too. This was the moment I was dreading as it would have been too late to really do anything about it. It is really all downhill from here and I think it'll be all over by tomorrow evening ^_^ . I am going to have to buy another one of these at Telford because it has been the most enjoyable build I've done for a long time.

Regards

Tom

• Like 6

Thanks guys for all the support :thumbsup: I'm pleased to report that all is finished ready for the trip to Telford tomorrow. No pictures unfortunately as I've got my hands full with packing and final prep but anyone who wants to have a closer look can find it on the Revell Modelling SIG stand in Hall 2 all weekend. I'll do a proper RFI on Monday once I (and my wallet) have recovered from the madness :evil_laugh:

Regards

Tom

• Like 2