George Bush's Grumman Avenger "Barbara" , 1/72 Academy

Hi,

Grumman Avenger TBF1C "Barbara", pilot Lt. George Bush VT-51, "USS Saint Jactino" 1944.

Kit from Academy with small corrections, decals by Techmod.

The story, from net:

Lt (JG) George Bush - the future President of the United State - flew this TBF-1C. CVL-30 USS San Jacinto, the fall of 1944. He named the Avenger BARBARA for his fiancee, Barbara Pierce. Bush's aircraft was shot down while attacking the Japanese-held Island of Chichi Jima on 2 September 1944. His turret gunner and radio operator/bombardier (John Delaney and William White) were killed, however Bush safely parachuted from the stricken TBF and was rescued by the submarine USS Finback (SS-230).

avenger DSC04420avenger DSC04425avenger DSC04424avenger DSC04422avenger DSC04421avenger DSC04423

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 16

Thank you Gents for comments :) I appreciete them.

I've seen once a documentary movie about this event. I looked for this in net and

on YT I found short movie on rescue action for G.H.Bush

And also short interview or testimony, in which he is talking this story in person

Cheers

J-W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have seen I missed this one too, but anyway, I found it!!!

I have been looking at your nice builds as everything you have showed us, quality, old school techniques and wonderful finssh, but have to start right now it doesn't matter with what, just start......or continue????...;)

I have had the nice Frog Avenger/Tarpoon and when in 1990 I watched this nice kit have shared comparisons with another modeling pal and concluded both are the same kits with some small differences, and even tough the part's orientation in the trees could be different, this nice one also have the same base the Frog kit has. But anyway.....the kit is nice, at the time in 1990 was cheaper (here inmy country just some US$2.50 and nothing more)......

I have enjoyed the nice detail in the kit that I bought it to make an Korean one planning to make all the adjustments necessary to furnish the kit for the version I wanted, but have other things in my life that made me to "shelve" any project at hand....things of life....and as time went by, I ended with two of the nice Academy/Minicraft (old boxes) kits and latter in more recent times had a gift of the Airfix latter variant....well.....NICE!!!

I have watched carefully this nice piece of history you built, and have enjoyed the article, the videos and the wonderful build you present here, as always, I am not being tired of enoying your nice collection and hope one day to replicate some of yournice work, and even tough the results would not be the same nicest presentation as yours, maybe will have to be so brave to present them here. For now: P38 reconstruction plans are on the trail and hope to finish her as wonderful as I planned.

Thank you very much for sharing and makes us enjoy our free time,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1