what is the wee panel under the port wing on the brisfish Bristol F.2b

Beardie

I am currently building the Eduard "Brisfish" Bristol F.2b and there is a wee bit of PE which is to be glued below the port wing just to the port side of the cockpit. It looks to have a cockade, a question mark, an Iron cross and a couple of other symbols on it. I am wondering does anyone know what this little panel was for?

Hi Beardie , It was a 'friend or foe' board , a crewman would point to a symbol i.e '?' until the the nationality was verified . (The F2b at Hendon has one )

Ah that makes sense. Of course the crew would have difficulty communicating with the windrush and engine noise. Makes you think just how difficult it must have been to be part of a crew where you had to rely on each other but were unable to communicate well.

Ah that makes sense. Of course the crew would have difficulty communicating with the windrush and engine noise. Makes you think just how difficult it must have been to be part of a crew where you had to rely on each other but were unable to communicate well.

Reminds me of the way instructions got passed to a T-34 driver. Left shoulder kicked - go left. Kick on head etc etc