F4U Corsair in three appearances, 1/72

Hi,

Next calssique machine - Chance-Vought F4U Corsair. I have three F4U on my shelves.

f4u DSC04388

The most old one is F4U4 made out of Matchbox kit, with Esci decals. The markings are of pilot John Glenn, later fameous astronaut, first American who orbit Earth on board of Mercury capsule. The machine is belived to belong to VMF 155, China , early 1945. I made her about 1980.

Here she is:

f4u4 DSC04395f4u4 DSC04394f4u4 DSC04393f4u4 DSC04392

Second one is F4U2, a scratch conversion to nightfighter and birdcage canopy variant made out of Heller kit. Those days there was no Hasegawa kit of this variant. Unfortunately I did not corrected the shape of engine... I made this model about 1982. Markings are of machine "Shirley June" piloted by commander of unit, Mjr. Everett M. Vaughan, VMF(N) 532, 1944 (Saipan and Guam).

Here she is:

f4u1 DSC04391f4u1 DSC04390

f4u1 DSC04389

The third one is much more recent, only about 5 years old. This is a Tamiya F4U1d converted to British Corsair Mk II (tappered wings). It is in markings of FAA unit from HMS Illustrious, during operations at Okinawa, summer 1945. I was trying to paint it with well faded-out colours. Please note, that national roundels were not so badly faded, since they were painted quite recently. On right wing roundel was freshly overpainted in summer '45:

F4u DSC04403f4u DSC04402f4u DSC04401f4u DSC04400f4u DSC04399f4u DSC04398f4u DSC04397f4u DSC04396

Comment welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 17

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have seen your magnificent Trio and remember when I first met this magniicent plane face to face in December 1969, we went on Christmas Day to visit a neigbour to give our greeting to him and his family and My Brother and his youngest son were talking about planes and he was back to the living room with the wonderful old silver plastic Revell kit in his hands, and my brother went home in a hurry to show him a nice Hawk T 33.....since then i have had a kind of respect and admiration for this plane as remember to watch one Honduran F4U-5 that landed our country after a combat with salvadorean Mustangs...that named War of Football in this year of 1969.....

When I got modeling, one of the first planes I Bought was a Corsair and since then, have always a nice wonderful friendship with the plane.

I have the Matchbox kit that bought to make an AU 1 but with the Italeri in the Stash this kit will be a nice Dash 4 vesion....or maybe not as I have collected the parts to build the AU, a kit that even with more modern kits inthe marlet have always sold well new and in the second hand market; I have seen one with the conversion as yours for the early version but not as good as yours, as the Hasegawa -1 kit is not as available as the 1-D; and have not had the chance to have the Tamiya but with the Jo-Han, Revell old and New mould, Novo, Hobby Craft (or an Ancient Fujimi 4/5N recent incarnation), Old Airfix, Testors incarnation ofold Hawk, Matchbox and AMT/Matchbox, Hasegawa Birdcage, Heller and Italeris have enough to enjoy.

The only thing I hope is that when i build mines, have the taste and wonderful approach to build as you had with your trio to have at least a half descent replicas of the ones you have presented here and maybe build a Salvadorean and Honduran versions together with some of the variants you have presented here.

I have seen carefully for many minutes your nice presentation and have enjoyed all the nice touches you have had with those little masterpieces, the way of painted details and colouring them, and if you asked me about a favourite, for sure the answer will be "ALL OF THEM!!!!" Without a doubt you have many treasures in your shelves.

AS A NOTE OF INTEREST: One Friend I made in Ebay, send for a friend of mine and me some gifts on Christmas last year and one little old discoloured box conatining a silver Revell old Corsair was marked with a post it over it and written in big letters "FOR LUIS!!!" ...its a proof that dreams come true, almost always.......

Thank you very much for sharing!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Interestingly, the Corsair MkII you have there was the aircraft in which Lt. N Hanson ditched after stalling on approach due to wake from the aircraft in front. I wish id knkwn it was this aircraft as I recently made one coded 147/Q as well. Good stuff

• Like 1

A great collection of Corsairs. I like the FAA scheme. Nice work Jerzy, regards, Joe

• Like 1

Thank you Gents for comments :) -

Sqn85 - yes, this was ment to be the same 147/Q as yours, known from this picture :

corsair%20147%20Q%20images_zpsiikxipqt.j

When I was painting I was following some colour profile, I did not know yet this photo...

Best regards

J-W

• Like 1