-- DONE! - -Tornado F.3 56(R) Sqn Firebirds RAF display aircraft 2000- 1/48 Airfix

as I wrote myself into trouble accepting 2 different group-builds at more or less the same time here the other one I am working on in parallel.....;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982350-s-75-dwina-sa-2-guideline-sam-egypt-148/

but as I liked the idea of a tribute Tornado build, breaking the gb calendar planing just as the reason for the gb came unplanned,,,,

I will try to to my best keeping the deadlines...

apart from that, the cause of the gb also help me in tackling this rather not up to date kit.... I will try to put in quite some Aftermarket designed for other, more modern kits... so lets see

the newer, not necessarily better version of Airfix's F3 rendition:

too good to be thrown away? lets see ;)

IMG_9019_1_1_zpswsu0dtwk.jpg

AM:

• AIres landing gear bays and SAC metal landing gears both for the Hobbyboss kit so they fit each other, I will hopefully get a nicely detailed and sturdy landing gear out of this combo! hope it will be fitable ;)!
  • Aires ejection seats: should fit without mayor problems
  • Paragon exhausts and wing seals: for the Italeri kit I think
  • Eduard PE for the F3 from Hobbyboss: this should lead to a more or less detailed and correct cockpit (for the year 2000 also????) WILL FIT! :P
  • Master pitot: obligatory
  • Decals from better days of Model Alliance.... the red is a bit dark....
  • I think I will also need some new wheels... (are the ones from Eduard any good?, other suggestions?)

upper and lower fuselage taped togther:

IMG_9022_1_1_zpsw6s4sfm4.jpg

in length they fit well, in width no so much... upper one with recessed panel lines, lower fuselage with thin raised ones....

IMG_90278_1_1_zpsm10ts4tr.jpg

for comparison see here; the older, more consistent upper fuselage jumps your eye hopefully ;)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983159-tornado-f3-148-airfix-update-2-14-6-2015/

some nice inspiration for everybody:

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=43209&start=40

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-F3/0208205/L/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corkspotter/16779793000/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/corkspotter/16781066619/

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1261068/

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/harry_tranter/media/ZE339AV_.jpg.html

thanks for watching and your opinions!

let the fun begin!

Cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

some work done....actually started ;)

after some trying, I braced the lower fuselage provisionally, that seems to solve the problem of the to wide upper fuselage... hopefully!

IMG_9054_1_1_zpszkvgavyc.jpg

as you can see I started to rescribe the lower fuselage ...

IMG_9063_1_1_zpslutpb4td.jpg

IMG_9059_1_1_zpstqrbo6g9.jpg

the fin also needs re-scribing for sure, the wings..... also

IMG_9060_1_1_zpsn1vrkkex.jpg

landing gear bays from Aires WILL fit, looks not too much work actually:

IMG_9056_1_1_zpszvvnsmxs.jpg

and that is why I want them replaced:

IMG_9058_1_1_zpss5qnhrpn.jpg

IMG_9067_1_1_2_zpsvpqxe6m0.jpg

intake fit is horrible for the time being:

IMG_9069_1_1_2_zpsvxko32wr.jpg

but I like the integrated wing gloves, compared to the fiddly assembly with the Italeri kit!

and that is why I like the F3:

IMG_9086_1_1_zpsjghhzpgl.jpg

shape! it looks fast!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Great start on the build. I know what you mean with the intakes.

That will be quite a job to get them tidy. Although mine aren't looking that bad as yours.

Maybee because I have the original kit?!

I do like the resin wheel bays.they have exelent detail. I will leave mine as they are.

Cheers,

Good start Werner. To be fair to Italeri their approach was to get as much commonality between moulds for IDS/GR1 and ADV/F3 kits as possible. The latter have more sharply swept glove leading edges, necessitated by the extended fuselage centre section, to keep the centre of lift in roughly the right place.

some rather crude ballast in the nose (F2 anybody? :devil: )

forn landing gear bay also clued in :)

wings rescribed as well and airbrakes mounted in closed position (they fit unexpectedly well!)

IMG_9107_1_1_zps0ltuf4uf.jpg

• Like 4

Like the ballast!

It's no walk in the park, but it's a good shape and the kit will submit if you treat it right. You're clearly going to have no problem making a nice result from this!

Al

• Like 1

some PE work form the weekend

looks like it will fit with some adjustments (although designed for the Hobbyboss kit...)

rear console removed and new full PE version provisionally put in place

IMG_9124_1_1_zpseccegck8.jpg

IMG_9129_1_1_zpsizxeker1.jpg

PE consoles (not much work left though ;) ;) ;)) should be correct for late RAF F3s... (there is also an ADV version available for Saudi Arabia and Italy or maybe the F3 trainer variant I suppose?)

IMG_9135_1_1_zpsos9zdfq3.jpg

• Like 1

main landing gear bays cut with a Dremel tool, cleaned and the AIres wheel wells placed provisionally. No cutting needed there :)

IMG_9150_1_1_2_zpsij4pmx6t.jpg

the effect is worth it, no?

IMG_9159_1_1_zps82qtbpo5.jpg

cockpit prepared for painting and for the pre-painted PE

IMG_9145_1_1_zps6xzudiew.jpg

Aires MB Mk10 seats for the tornado

IMG_9140_1_1_zpsv28bpvww.jpg

• Like 1

could not resist and had to order the landing gear bay doors set from quickboost as well....

just much ore detailed, especially on the fronz landing gear doors... and MUCH thinner!

IMG_9160_1_1_zps6yxqipr5.jpg

SAC landing gear pre-assemled and test-fitted (no instructions... as they should be close to equal to the Hobbyboss parts....)

IMG_9162_1_2_zpstdadga5a.jpg

• Like 2

Nice progress. I was just thinking how you would install the landing gear on the different wheelbays.

But you solved it for me.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Nice progress. I was just thinking how you would install the landing gear on the different wheelbays.

But you solved it for me.

Cheers,

Yeah,

the new landing gear is one if the reasons for all the fuss, and of course it only works if you do the complete replacement....i.e. Aires bays and SAC landng gear

here you have the different landing gears, provided in the Italeri F3 (where I did the same replacement once already ;)) and the Airfix Tornado (F3 and GR afaik):

special note on the "sturdiness" ahmm flimsiness of the Italeri and AIrfix parts... only the Airfix front landing gear leg has some kind of thickness expected form a 20 to plus aircraft! .

IMG_9180_1_1_1_zpswswli4o4.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

starting to look like a Tornado ;)

I want the wings movable, and as it will be a display aircraft, probably without (main) pylons, so no issue there...

BUT that measn they have to be mounted soon in the build...

I think I will do something else with the stabilators, as they are really a problem during closing the fuselage and getting rif of seams, as well as during the painting procces.... although I quite like the airfix solution of the stopper for tailplane movement...

her some pics of the main parts held together , fuselage is not glued yet, nor in the fin

IMG_9266_1_1_zps408l0nd8.jpg

IMG_9264_1_1_zpskl61r09v.jpg

IMG_9267_1_1_zpsaqynbvwb.jpg

IMG_9269_1_1_zpsxtlkeps7.jpg

cockpit painting is due next I think.... ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 3

hi everybody,

my take on the stabs:

IMG_9336_1_1_zpsds7r9na2.jpg

I will try something new with the wing assembly...

lengthened the plastic pins, pinned them with wire and therefor I hope they will withstand the building process, the painting process AND several swing operations !

IMG_9338_1_12_zps2luw8gov.jpg

• Like 1

cockpit evolution :)

necessary to more or less finish it before closing the fuselage :cold:

~ primed

IMG_9335_1_1_zpsbkks42kd.jpg

PE mounted, aehhmm glued ;) they are advertised as self adhesive.... that is true per se, but not permanently :( at least not on my paint base

IMG_9345_1_1_zpsx0bhi8w5.jpg

IMG_9347_1_1_zpszovnplva.jpg

with wrong colored seat cushion....should be dark olive....don't know why.... ;)

IMG_9366_1_1_zpsjqcioxvd.jpg

IMG_9377_1_1_zpsy7jjynb3.jpg

thanks Arniec, I also robbed a starfighter stick.... ;)

• Like 4

some more crude work lately.....

closing of the fuselage .....

actually I do not know what the designer of the new upper fuselage was thinking, of if it was every tried to fit it to the lower one....

but see yourself, at least it is closed! the seam is quite difficult ti get rid off, but hopefully in the end it will not be too visible!

canopy fit seems to be ok, .....what a strange looking bird the Tornado is without its characteristic fin!

IMG_9424_1_1_zpsjnp8a3at.jpgIMG_9417_1_1_zpsv0nifzra.jpg

the intakes WILL fit , i decided! :devil:

IMG_9439_1_1_zpset0fbxi4.jpg

IMG_9446_1_1_zpsma8up1ce.jpg

IMG_9449_1_1_zpsszfvyi7s.jpg

thanks for looking!

• Like 2

That is comming nicely together. Keep up the good work.

If you would put 2 fins on it it would look a lot like a F-14. At least that was what I thought with my build.

Cheers,

intakes and landing gear wells painted in white (kind of an of white, but nevermind....)

intakes made to fit ;) with the help of some additional force....

IMG_9453_1_1_zpsrrekg2di.jpg

• Like 3

intakes and landing gear wells painted in white (kind of an of white, but nevermind....)

Looking good, and I'm sure that other people (who knew him better I) would tell you that Merv would be pleased that the landing gear wells are not white. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Looking good, and I'm sure that other people (who knew him better I) would tell you that Merv would be pleased that the landing gear wells are not white. :thumbsup2:

hopefully!

I am not here to offend anybody, and least the merited ones!

as obviously just can't simply build a kit anylonger, I had to try something new for the wing sealing area:

not yet finished, and not sure how it will work out when swept back (will need a cut that hopefully does not frazzle too much!)

cut up an old T-shirt much, and the kit a little bit ;)

IMG_9529_1_2_zpsjzftyisb.jpg

IMG_9541_1_1_zps6ese1yh7.jpg

IMG_9545_1_1_zpsg56hc7qw.jpg

here the Paragon exhausts dry-fitted, with the thrust-reverser mechanism in between the nozzles:

IMG_9548_1_2_zpsubvzcqny.jpg

• Like 4