Tamiya Chieftain

fatalbert

Hi guys,I have the venerable Tamiya Chieftain in the stash and would like to update it a bit.I am aware of all the short comings and have some etch to help but I would like to do something with the engine deck.I know the accurate armour stuff is top notch but it's a bit pricy,have ordered a castoff update but he isnt replying to emails or messages and am getting close to getting paypal to get my money back.So does anyone know a way of updating the engine deck another way or do I need to start saving my pennies and go for the AA conversion.Cheers for looking.........Neil

Considering Meng oops Takom (thanks rob) are about to release new chieftan kits, it might be worth waiting to see if you get different engine decks as options within the kit/s. Don't know enough about chieftans to know if there needs to be differences in the Takom kit.

When punters (like me) buy the kit there could be spare engine decks on offer...

Neil

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,am a bit annoyed with cast off as they have some interesting bits,I would have spent a lot with them.it dosent take five minuets to reply to an email.:-/

Its a pretty straight forward scratch job if you are into that sort of thing. Some careful work with a razor saw will give you the bits you need. A styrene packer will sort the angle of the sides panels. Like this-

pAykWKE.jpg

I used some parts from the spares box for this one, but you can use the bits cut from the side panels to form the extra centre panel.

What they look like is not too important as mesh screens hide any mistakes!

8w7lCVz.jpg

If you want any extra help yell out.

Regards Dave

Ha, no need for thanks Neil - we must have posted about the same time, as I didn't see your reply when I put mine up. Now if both Meng and Takom (and Amusing Hobby??) did Chieftains, we'd be in clover.

Thanks Dave that looks excellent,could I ask you how thick the packer was you used to raise the centre panels.

Neil

Thats a hard question, I tend to rely on my calibrated eyeball when doing these things!

So I just got my Mk11 out of the model cabinet for a measure and reckon 2mm is about right.

Dave