Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 1/72 Airfix

OK, I have to own up to hiding this for a day or so... I thought someone else was currently building this but I can't find anything now (senior moment). Mitch K has an Airfix Hawk on the go but I think it's a different kit? Hope so. :)

Anyway, here's a quick WiP on the Airfix Hawk:

131395-10518.jpg

My Italeri Spitfire Vb was supposed to be a relaxation after Memphis Belle, but it's turned out to be a bit of a pain. Whilst waiting for Royal Mail to deliver some spares kindly (very kindly) donated by 06/24 I looked at my stash and thought "that one looks easy" so out it came.

What a relaxation! This kit flies together. Building OOB (as usual) and following the instructions (so far). Bit of detailing in the yellow (yellow!!??) cockpit and then remembered, this time, to go through the instructions and use Jaime's tip of sticking the small parts to sticks for spraying. I made a couple of masks for the wheel hubs using a punch (very a la Nigel H) so very quick and easy:

E281D5F8-62D1-4DBF-8A5E-A03B3550275C_zps7032EF66-FB7C-4FA4-AEB2-0D27E8D89F32_zps

The cockpit detail is, unusually, glued to the lower wing:

C0CF7452-6A8E-44BF-8B18-4913CA7E17EF_zps

and then the fuselage halves, joined in the first step, go over the top. My recent experience (with what I'm going to call 'non-Airfix) made me very nervous about that. Test fit again and again. But no need to worry, it all goes together beautifully after a little sanding on the front of the fuselage wing location:

42A910C6-D452-4836-BE5F-7F3F23339ECD_zpsC5D1DF24-0204-432A-A9A1-75C6C72ED167_zps

Nothing a bit of Vallejo filler won't hide in a trice!

I shall continue to use this as a sanity 'safe haven' during the Vb build but I expect it to continue to be a joy (famous last words) :D

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Hi Ced,

I built the 112 Squadron starter kit version of this... it went together really nicely as I recall.

There are a couple of points to watch out for... but I can't remember most of them. The wheel hubs are a really tight fit and if you are not careful you can snap the undercarriage legs trying to attach the hubs, and I think I broke the joystick just getting it off the sprue. If you are less cautious than I am watch out for the wing guns, I think several other builds I have seen have suffered breakages there.

Aside from those caveats, I hope you have a pleasant and relaxing build :D

Cheersm

Stew

• Like 2

It's great to have a break with a simple OOB no-issues kit! I've just done that with a Revell Sea Hurricane in the middle of the Airfix Blenheim. The new Hawk looks like a nice kit and it's looking good so far!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks Stew - I managed to get the joystick off using my new Nano saws (just to try them out. I'll watch out for the hubs. Thanks mate :D

Thanks Rob, Stephen, Adrian, Mitch and Houston - welcome!

Hi Jon - it's not easy. I think if I'd used my normal tack / scalpel method I would have snapped it too. I'm sure you're not the only one who suffered from the awful arrangement of parts on the sprues... I've been really pleased with my side cutters but, on this one, it's caused all sorts of problems and I've been sawing parts off that I would have thought should be much easier to remove - they seem to have designed problems into removal :(

Progress tonight whilst waiting for the Vb paint to dry. This does go together quickly, if not particularly well in parts. The top cover's not a very good fit and needed some sanding and re-scribing but looks OK in the end, and the empennage fitted well without the need for support:

9F560554-8B0E-42F1-A6F9-7434065D586A_zps8C49B54F-2C27-4C0E-879A-4F85699CB466_zps

Count the guns... still all there... miracle! The lower nose section just didn't want to fit at all in a dry fit, so I decided to remove the locating peg shown here:

377708AA-0203-41C3-8D9B-D63E3C35E1B9_zpsA470157B-012C-47A5-A3F4-E8F9ED04D7A2_zps

That allowed me to reduce the gaps. I've applied some Vallejo filler (all that's needed) and she's now ready for sanding:

50DDD89F-FE7C-415C-8078-7B2C2C3200BB_zps16F63956-2987-495F-B299-4DBA842816F6_zps

I'm definitely going to apply primer to this after my experiences on the Vb so it'll be a while until the next post while that cures. A week or so should do it!

• Like 6

My apologies it appears everyone except me managed it!

You are not alone Jon, I think mine snapped when I was still just thinking about removing it from the sprue :blush:

Ced, that really is looking superb B)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Indeed he is not alone... I broke mine 3 time before I gave up on it!

I had fit issues with the chin and upper cowling on mine they can be sorted with a little fill and sanding, a minor irritation!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Spit's Klear drying, formation aerobatics with the primed Hawk...

A67859F9-08B5-4A62-B4E9-E4154D4E1716_zps

See, I do learn! Slowly. The primer's VMA thinned and with flow improver. We'll see how it goes (gulp).

Yes, I've just copied that from my Spit thread - what a cheat :)

• Like 1

It did knock me slightly off balance, thought my phone was playing me up and kept going back not going to the link... But my simple brain soon got what was going on!

Great progress on both Ced!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Martin and Rob!

The primer's had a couple of days to dry so it's on with the grey bottom:

B52F9D44-3206-42E5-965E-3841F1AB2C93_zps

More watching paint dry, sorry!

I'm at a loose end now so I think I'll wash Tommy's parts. I refuse to apply a Dbl-E to anything to do with other men, so there. :)

• Like 3

Doing it OOB, so Flying Tigers version then, right?

I have a couple of these and need a couple more. Want at least 1 Flying Tiger, 1 RAF Desert AF and 1 or 2 Pearl Harbor defenders.

Looking good so far.

Masked and on with the, er, browny colour...

FDE28C68-2FCC-46A6-B975-69D6071A942D_zps

I'll be ripping that off soon and hand brushing the camo, later!

• Like 4

So, I've been pondering Jon's (06/24) build here and although I doubt I'll be doing such a good job I do want to have a go at the 'missing roundels'.

B608B686-643C-46F4-BD64-8A7D525ACB41_zps

The plan is to cut some roundels from tape sheet and stick them on the wings before I do the green camo. A rough measure says these should be 1.2cm circumference - is that (about) right?

I'm going to paint the canopy and side glass off the model and stick them on later - nervous about Jon's canopy fit problems; fingers crossed.

All help appreciated!

• Like 4

So, I've been pondering Jon's (06/24) build here and although I doubt I'll be doing such a good job I do want to have a go at the 'missing roundels'.

B608B686-643C-46F4-BD64-8A7D525ACB41_zps

The plan is to cut some roundels from tape sheet and stick them on the wings before I do the green camo. A rough measure says these should be 1.2cm circumference - is that (about) right?

I'm going to paint the canopy and side glass off the model and stick them on later - nervous about Jon's canopy fit problems; fingers crossed.

All help appreciated!

The canopy on mine went on OK. Provided you gronk it down fairly hard and hold it there whilethe glue sets, the joint is OK. If it isn't, use a slick of PVA or acrylic gesso to fill it in. The rear window lights just popped in on mine, and a touch of Klear is holding them rock-solid.

FWIW, I cut circles of tape using a scalpel and a circle template.

• Like 1