Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
AndyC

1/72 Revell Tornado ECR - Tigermeet +++FINISHED+++

Recommended Posts

My entry for this worthy GB is one of Revell's little 1/72 multi-schemed Tornados - this one is the ECR Tigermeet 2011/12 version

Box shot

001_zpszeomxp9o.jpg

And the contents with a very nice looking decal set

002_zpsxe3rmnib.jpg

Love these kits - I've already built 2 and have another 3 in the stash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a major PC "outage" for the last 2 weeks and have not had any means of posting which has driven me mad! However here is a massive update of where I have been busy on this GB now that the sick computer has been mended!

Primed some of the parts before taking them off the sprues

001_zpsj6lgyflb.jpg

Cockpit interior sprayed Medium Sea Grey and kit decals applied. Seat also in the process of painting

002_zps3dhp5m7w.jpg

003_zpsnpcyss7f.jpg

Cockpit almost ready and seats done

004_zpskcm1ma16.jpg

All buttoned up with the coamings in place and painted

005_zpstdfhntpd.jpg

The rear fuselage all dry-fitted together with the the nose structure

006_zpsjmuslnyc.jpg

The wings are glued and are being readied for fitting inside the rear fuselage. The pylons will be CA'd in place at the end rather than glued within the wings. This will ease painting.

007_zpsaseujfrx.jpg

All glued together and clamped to dry

008_zpsruizsjax.jpg

That great big fin glued and fixed and along with the nose structure...starting to look like a Tornado now!

009_zpsqr9scjzi.jpg

The dangly things are worked on now...DT's and HARM missiles

010_zpspjsysdiq.jpg

Filler applied although to be fair the fit isn't that bad

011_zpsxfiqhcag.jpg

All rubbed down and ready for a final check before the canopy is in place (this will be closed). The tailpanes will be fitted after painting...again for ease of decals and paint.

012_zpsyubrv7ea.jpg

Canopy masked and glued with Gator glue

013_zpst4pu9a7m.jpg

Into the booth for a prime with Vallejo Black Primer...wonderful stuff...next will be the u/c doors and legs and all the underwing stores

018_zpsowcc9drb.jpg

Apologies for the compressed build and thanks for looking. All comments welcomed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update as everything has been primed now.

001_zpsmx62adry.jpg

The usual confusing Revell colour call-outs "30% this + 70% that"...fortunately there was a reference to FS36320...which is Dark Compass Grey so that was sprayed on using Xtracrylix

002_zpscmgbu6xl.jpg

Took the masking off the canopy - looks OK.

003_zpssrkt42gp.jpg

Next job is to mask and paint the nose cone and then a thin sprayed line of white at the forward bottom of the fuselage edges. Mask off the wheel wells and paint them light grey.

A bit of masking to the drop tanks and then I can probably start decalling...there are 'undreds of 'em.

Ta for looking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting round toward decals...

The instructions call for some white sprayed at the bottom edges of the fuselage, so a small strip of Tamiya White was sprayed. The nose cone was also sprayed NATO Black

002_zpsr2p6eva6.jpg

Started on the decals - lots and lots of them on that huge decal sheet. I did the 1/32 Tiger Tornado a few years ago for the last GB. It's best to find a datum decal in this case the decal immediately behind the cockpit. Get that set and everything flows from that...

003_zpsuyaycekq.jpg

Pretty much completed the main decals on one side - they are Cartograf and are very thin but strong. I've used some Micro Set on them and they've settled down nicely.

004_zpstkgl13bb.jpg

Will finish these during the week. I've got some painting to do on the D/T's and then once they are all done I can get the wheels on and should be finished fairly soon,barring disasters. All comments welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update...

This is taking a long time :frantic:

I can only do the decals in short bursts because I'm having problems pickking up the model to apply new ones without disturbing the ones already down, so I have to give the Micro Set time to work...Anyway, after4 days of decal sessions, she is finally looking something like the box lid!

Tricky areas are the IFR probe (and I should have learnt from previous builds to have left that off) and round the nose, where I've had to touch up some gaps. Also the fin will need some touch ups where the decals don't quite meet - Tamiya Black and Purple should do the trick there

002_zpscoxaupoc.jpg

001_zpsv5s0ti2e.jpg

003_zps5oohoyey.jpg

Definitley my most colourful Tornado yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yee-hah!

Sneaked in just before the witching hour. Thanks for the comments. I'll put the final pics on the Gallery and may also do a general RFI

003_zps7yobihzd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...