1/48 Tornado IDS - Italeri 2648

Have never built a 1/48th Panavia Tornado so this Group Build is a great opportunity to cut my teeth on the Italeri Tornado IDS kit No.2648, this was released in 2006 and cost me £12.99 four years later :) The main decal sheet is for a Marineflieger MFG 2 Anniversary scheme worn in 2003, there are other options for two 'Operation Granby' RAF GR.1's, an Italian IDS of the same period, and a Luftwaffe IDS of JBG 37. This will be out of the box although I might look at other decal sheets. Michael

IMGP7538size_zps3nzygpuj.jpg

IMGP7539size_zpsv4qfauhy.jpg

• Like 4

Made a start this weekend, the cockpit is ready to be fitted to the forward fuselage halves. The kit painting suggestions are a bit wide of the real thing as other builds here have shown however picking out detail on black works for me. Still some parts to be added:

IMGP7540size_zpslctcjxhx.jpg

The ejection seats don't fit together too well, perhaps I should have sanded down the multiple ejector pin bumps! Still need to paint the straps and buckles.

IMGP7541size_zpsydhdf67j.jpg

Have also been looking at the air intakes, seems that to be done accurately there is quite a bit of masking involved inside the intakes.

Michael

• Like 1

After an enforced 7 day break have re-started this build today, just straightforward snipping of the larger parts off the sprues, cutting and sanding, cementing wings and tail planes together, trying to get an idea of what a 1/48th scale Tornado might look like compared to an A-4 Skyhawk or an F-4 Phantom. This stage of building a 'new' kit is quite fun really. So, the parts so far:

IMGP7542size_zpsthpflrol.jpg

I did get the forward fuselage parts cemented together, a so so result. The Italeri kit has just two locating pins for the whole assembly and the cockpit tub sits on just the one fuselage half, consequently it is just slightly tilted to the left.

IMGP7543size_zpsyfg1u6bt.jpg

This kit is interesting in that you have to add three upright posts to the mid fuselage to space the upper and lower fuselage halves:

IMGP7544size_zpsfiltiwqx.jpg

There is one thing about this kit which is a mystery at this stage; looking at the instructions I am supposed to add two 'blanks' (these are highlighted in yellow below) however it isn't clear to me what their function is supposed to be. Anyone wiser than me who can help?

IMGP7545size_zps6unt6e7u.jpg

Looking forward to getting the major assemblies cemented together the next two days and see what we have here :)

Michael

• Like 2

As Charlie says above, there tabs to help with placement. Fit them to the lower fuselage first as shown and wait til there firmly fixed in place before joining the fuselage halfs.

Muzz

• Like 1

As Charlie says above, there tabs to help with placement. Fit them to the lower fuselage first as shown and wait til there firmly fixed in place before joining the fuselage halfs.

Muzz

Thanks Charlie, Muzz; read your comments and took another look, pretty obvious really :doh:

Have a free day tomorrow, see if I can get some of the major parts put together.

Michael

• Like 2

Quick update, have moved a little bit further forward with this build, attached the swing wings to their mounts, attached upper and lower body halves, then attached the front fuselage; starting to come together...

IMGP7549size_zpshovojwbq.jpg

The attachment on the upper fuselage behind the cockpit isn't perfect but nothing that a bit of sanding can't solve:

IMGP7550size_zpsjwqnepoj.jpg

The lower fuselage not so good but that is due to my getting the two forward body halves just a little bit skewed so a bit more effort needed here!

IMGP7553size_zpsad0athhh.jpg

Forgot to take a photo of the rear fuselage joins, they are not good and will need a lot of work :(

On the plus side she is starting to look like a Tornado so will press on. Getting the feeling that this might have to be one body colour so an RAF GR.1 from 'Operation Granby' in sand a distinct possibility.

Michael

• Like 1

Another update, am working on this build on a little but often basis.

First, I decided that I want to display the final model with the airbrakes retracted as if she is at rest on the ramp. I cut the airbrakes off the sprue and they did not fit, a little attention with the sanding stick and they popped into the fuselage recesses quite nicely. This photo also shows the rear fuselage join, quite a bit of filling and sanding is needed there!

IMGP7557size_zps54epitdj.jpg

I have also started on the jet air intakes and these are definitely not 'shake and bake'. The air intake ramps seem to be too large in width and forward length and I have had to use a grinder to reduce them in size so that the air intake halves will fit better. This photo also gives an idea of the ejector pin marks on the parts:

IMGP7558size_zps6qwwx5g4.jpg

Regards the intake colours the kit instructions are not too helpful, they quote FS36375 Light Ghost Grey, however I did a quick Google search and found a website with much more detail and I need to add more colours to the jet intake ramps. I have also made a trial fit and the intakes appear to be too high, however I don't know enough about the Tornado to know whether the air intakes should be flush with the top fuselage or not. More research needed!

IMGP7559size_zpshzttof9y.jpg

Finally, I have been putting together the fuel tanks, ECM pods and bombs with an RAF Tornado GR.1 version in mind. Normally I have applied at least a coat of primer by this stage but I think I will be needing to apply quite a lot of filler so I am getting as much together as I can before moving on to the primer and filling stage.

Michael

I have also made a trial fit and the intakes appear to be too high, however I don't know enough about the Tornado to know whether the air intakes should be flush with the top of the fuselage or not

Michael

Michael the intakes will be correct, they don't sit flush with the top, they sit a bit higher with gap which acts as a vent. I'll see if I can find a photo as an example.

Muzz

I see some problems here which I also have with my Italeri Tornado.

I'm thinking about making some kind of cover for the intakes so you can't look into them.

Greetings

Lex

• Like 1

Have look at this link to the Walkround section photo down shows a view above and behind the port intake looking forward. Scroll right down near the bottom past the cockpit photos.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971017-panavia-tornado-gr4-zd843-operational-kandahar-afghanistan/

And scroll down this link for photos looking down the inside of the intakes, Light Grey intake trunking, medium grey intake with black anti icing edge around the intake lip.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71270-panavia-tornado-gr1-gr4/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly a month has passed, have lost my mojo a bit for several reasons including summer as well as approaching the point where I have to apply filler and use the dreaded sandpaper! I decided to get re-started today and the easiest way to do that was attach the tail fin then apply a first dusting of grey primer. Am now a little bit happier...

IMGP7826size_zpshkp97vns.jpg

I just find that applying primer before filler gives me a better idea what I can ignore and what I cannot :winkgrin:

Also added the leading edges to the forward wing/body area - not good!

IMGP7827size_zpss7hk0dfx.jpg

And the underside was worse!

IMGP7829size_zpsvxtqdwof.jpg

Better find that tube of filler then, still have a month to go.

On the plus side I am gaining a better idea of the size and shape of the Tornado compared to other aircraft.

Michael

• Like 2

A lot of work gone on here correcting basic things that are more to do with the fit of the kit parts. I have noticed on a few Tornado kits by different manufacturers and scales that the air brakes when fitted into their respective housing do no fit that well at all. Keep up the good work that you have already achieved.

• Like 1

And apply filler! Not quite as bad as I was expecting:

IMGP7830size_zpsbkkzfynh.jpg

IMGP7831size_zps4d8xfme7.jpg

IMGP7832size_zpspxri47db.jpg

Going to let it dry fully today and start sanding tomorrow morning, then apply paint in a couple of days time :)

Michael

• Like 1

Kept the filling and sanding to the minimum possible and moved onto the first application of Humbrol 250 matt desert sand. I have had two tinlets in my stash for many years now and when I opened one the contents were almost solid with a film of liquid floating on top. It took a lot of mixing and the end result was a sort of sludge which I tipped into a mixing jar and added much thinner:

IMGP7852size_zps8p9ibiqe.jpg

I also decided to keep using my ancient basic Badger airbrush and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the paint flowed and applied to the parts. I started with the smaller parts, just in case there was a problem...

IMGP7853size_zps0vcwaqn7.jpg

Then started on the Tornado itself. In 1/48th scale it is quite a large model and I had to remain patient with applying the desert sand paint over a base of Halfords grey primer. It was at this point I discovered that the air line from the compressor is starting to split so I had to wrap some tape round it!

IMGP7855size_zpsx88iy5ok.jpg

Overall the result is much better than I expected, the paint has gone on well and even my botched filling/sanding does not stand out too much.

IMGP7856size_zpsafsftsev.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was seriously considering binning this one but now I am very happy, thanks for the encouragement!

IMGP7857size_zpsgelhx3eb.jpg

So, this is where I stand at the moment, need to get the undercarriage bays painted in light grey, the gear attached, cockpit coamings painted as well as inside of the canopy, rear fuselage and burners painted in metallic, as well as the weighted nose and also matt black areas on the body.

IMGP7860size_zpsmxtbsikc.jpg

However, at the end of the morning I washed all the jars and the airbrush, and I accidently dropped the airbrush nozzle into the sink. A professional golfer could not have done better, the nozzle rolled perfectly to the drain and dropped in without touching the sides. Perfect! So tomorrow morning will be removing the 'sump' or whatever it is called to retrieve my nozzle!!! Michael

IMGP7858size_zpsrwqvpvxb.jpg

great finish - hope my goes on as well - just torn between Hum250, Xtracolor X32 and Tamiya X57!!

Nice Hole in one by the way - hope you recover it!

great finish - hope my goes on as well - just torn between Hum250, Xtracolor X32 and Tamiya X57!!

Nice Hole in one by the way - hope you recover it!

I think that Humbrol 250 is just a tad too dark and if I recall correctly I am sure I saw somewhere that it should be mixed with some matt white. I probably could have helped myself by using white primer instead of dark grey, would have been a good opportunity to pre-shade as well. Is going to be a good opportunity to keep practicing weathering.

The airbrush nozzle has been recovered :thumbsup:

Michael

• Like 1

I think that Humbrol 250 is just a tad too dark and if I recall correctly I am sure I saw somewhere that it should be mixed with some matt white. I probably could have helped myself by using white primer instead of dark grey, would have been a good opportunity to pre-shade as well. Is going to be a good opportunity to keep practicing weathering.

The airbrush nozzle has been recovered :thumbsup:

Michael

A good paint job there especially with the state of the paint that you said it was in. I too agree that Hum 250 is too dark, in that the colour represents an aircraft that was fresh out of the paint shop. I normally add a splodge or two of white depending on my taste at the time to the paint.

Good recover of the nozzle.