Westland Scout - looking for unusual markings

Juanita

Have been hunting though various online photo sites looking for a British Army Scout with unusual or bright/bold markings - whether they be temporary markings or zaps, or perhaps tactical markings.

So far I have nothing. They seem to be all standard camo scheme (or one period or another) with perhaps a single letter code, and sometimes the unit badge at a small size on the door.

The brightest markings are on those Scouts in the training school.

I can't believe that in the years the Scout was in service that not once it was given a Christmas scheme, or 'end of deployment' art, or some special recognition scheme on an exercise!

Can anybody help?

I believe there was at least one aircraft that was painted in either Empire Test Pilots School colours or those employed by the aircraft at the test centre at Bedford.

I am sure I have seen those colours in a book on one of those subjects I had out of the library, sorry not to be more helpful

Nigel.

Please don't forget the Scout was an operational aircraft and consequently would be marked as such, some aircraft had quite numerous Dayglo markings of one sort or another.

The ETPS did operate at least one and it has worn at least 3 different colour schemes, Sky, Dark Sea Grey, Red White, and the Rasperry Ripple scheme.

Derek

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

The experiment policing one is very novel. I hadn't heard of that trial.

Very good suggestion regarding the Empire Test Pilots School. I had looked into the training examples (eg in Aircraft Illustrated) but all the photos featured standard camo schemes with just a patch or three of dayglo.

I found photos of the Bell 47 in the light blue scheme...I'll go hunting for a Scout in Sky.

Edited by Juanita

The Airfix kit in its original issue included Jordanian Air Force decals and was finished in red /white. One of the olde original Airfix magazines carried a feature dealing with the Scout. If I have time, I'll have a delve for it and try to scan the article for you if you like.

...whats is/are the 'Eagles'?

The 'Eagles' or sometimes 'The Blue Eagles' is the name given to the Army Air Corps Helicopter display team. They've flown many different helicopters over the years but other than the odd sticker all have been in standard camouflage apart from the Sioux which were painted pale AAC blue.

The 'Eagles' or sometimes 'The Blue Eagles' is the name given to the Army Air Corps Helicopter display team. They've flown many different helicopters over the years but other than the odd sticker all have been in standard camouflage apart from the Sioux which were painted pale AAC blue.

They had a Gazelle in silver at one point

That wee beastie was the first aircraft we got flying on the RAN Historic Flight.

I got used as ballast in the back seat when we were trying to sort out why the engine got to about 75%

power then surged somewhat violently, not fun when all that's separating you from an angry gas turbine is a lump

of perspex!

Turned out to be a dodgy IGV servo, changed that and bunged on a new set of blades and away she went.

It was badly damaged in a hover taxy incident a few short years later. I'll refrain from comment on that one.

• Like 2

Hi

Sorry to be joining this so late but it took a bit to find.

So, how about this - a camouflaged Scout with a very hi-viz front end!

P849%20BD%20Familes%20day%20190001%20-%2

No seriously, this is Boscombe's XP849 with a replacement boom - photo taken in the ETPS hangar in Sept 1985. I couldn't get around the other side so this is the only shot I got but the 2 halves are pretty well documented in their own right.

Apologies for the quality - scanne from a 5x3 print.

I was planning to have a go at this myself but back then I was defeated by the challenge that is the Airfix Scout!

ATB

Rick