The mighty France

The giant five-masted barque France. This huge vessel was completed in 1911. Although she was initially fitted with twin screw diesels, these were eventually removed, leaving her, at 5,806 gross tons, the largest pure sailing vessel ever to sail the seas.

Bob

France_Large.jpg

• Like 26

Beautiful. The rigging is ace. A very beautiful ship. Oh, and the plating runs...nicely done!

Fraser

Thanks,

The plating is only writing paper stuck on in strips with a gap between to represent the raised and sunken strakes. It is very effective, but not difficult. In fact the whole thing was fairly simple, although I admit, it was rather repetitive. It is far more difficult to build a steamer, especially a passenger liner with multiple decks, portholes, windows and lifeboats. The France took me 99 hours to build. That included making the display case and carrying case. I time the work on a stopwatch, and if I stop for any reason, I stop the watch. Generally, when I took models like this to the local model club, they scarcely attracted more than a casual glance from most members. Those who were interested would usually say that they could never do anything like than and there the matter ended. The odd person who did "have a go" generally found it a lot easier than they thought. Sadly, this type of model is not very popular because it didn't carry guns, and there is a fallacy that ships engaged solely in peaceful trading did not have any romance about them.

I don't build many these days simply because of a general lack of interest amongst fellow modelmakers, although collectors can't get enough of them. The continual demand for models such as this has tended to turn it more into work than a hobby, so at the age of 71, I am just about ready to "call it a day," and no longer accept private commissions, but I still get "If you ever think of building....., I will be interested!" :banghead:

Bob

• Like 1

I fear the lack of interest is just part of the times we live in (instant results etc.) . Having just moved to the Isle of Wight, I'm struggling to get my workspace sorted so I can get back to the 1/144th scratchbuild I'm doing of 'Fair Rosamund'...

That is what surprises me, as I like quick results myself. Other ship modellers often tell me that they do not have the time to scratchbuild. When I ask how long it takes to complete a kit build, the answer is usually in months or even years! I rarely take over 100 hours to build a model, forty or fifty is nearer the mark. But small ones only take a few days and cost virtually nothing in materials. The glue, and acrylic for the display cases are the most expensive items.

Bob

Squirrel_in_hand_Large.jpg

• Like 4

The glue, and acrylic for the display cases are the most expensive items.

Bob

Bob, could I ask what glue you use for your acrylic display cases? I'm still struggling to find something that makes clean bonds on acrylic.

Thanks

Keith

I don't build many these days simply because of a general lack of interest amongst fellow modelmakers...

Bob

Wouldn't let that put you off -build whatever erm, floats your boat! Ultimately, the only interest and approval that counts is your own; any other way, madness lies...!

This is another truly astonishing piece of work. Don't know how you do it...but rather pleased that you do!

:goodjob:

The rigging is the easiest part! All wire, no fiddly knots. Most of it is put on in short lengths, and just glued in position. The only exception being the ratlines that are wound on a frame and the shrouds soldered to them. Not a very long process, and one set (port and starboard) can be made in about 15 minutes. I have completed 266 of them since I started counting in late 1992, so you can see why I have grown weary of it all!

Bob

• Like 1

Sadly, the interest only goes as far as enjoying the images. Very few, if any, will consider having a go at building such models. Consequently, I have no-one to compare notes with, or discuss evolving techniques. I remain very interested in the subject, which is why I am here, but the actual building of them has largely become a thing of the past for me. We do have a few dotted around the house, but they seldom attract more than a casual glance from visitors. On the other hand, I am continually under unintentional pressure from "collectors" who are always asking what I am doing next, and all this has combined to make me back off somewhat.

Bob

• Like 1

That is what surprises me, as I like quick results myself. Other ship modellers often tell me that they do not have the time to scratchbuild. When I ask how long it takes to complete a kit build, the answer is usually in months or even years! I rarely take over 100 hours to build a model, forty or fifty is nearer the mark. But small ones only take a few days and cost virtually nothing in materials. The glue, and acrylic for the display cases are the most expensive items.

Bob

Squirrel_in_hand_Large.jpg

Bob

You say you're 71 but those hands look much younger - I believe these to be the hands of a true craftsman - your work is outstanding - I don't suppose you fancy rigging up my delprado Victory for me if you ever get bored !!! :waiting:

The above photo was only taken a few days ago, but I do indeed date back to March 1944! :coolio:

I wouldn't know where to start rigging Victory, I do not, as a rule build warships, but I have made the heavy cruiser Norfolk and the battleship Dreadnought of 1906. I also keep well away from well-known ships, preferring the obscure, or semi-obscure merchant ship types.

Bob