What if 92 Sqn converted to the F.3 in 1990?

I built a 92 Sqn Lightning in that STGB, and am building 92 Sqn Phantom in that STGB, so I thought I'd continue the theme with this one. However, there was a slight hiccup in that 92 Sqn didn't convert to the Tornado from the Phantom. So, this is going to be a bit of a whif: a special scheme for the inaugural Tornado F3 to enter service with 92 Sqn in the year of the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

IMG_1896_zpsg79wxntw.jpg

I'll be using the 1/72 Hasegawa kit, which apparently fits nicely but has lots of shape issues.

I started by reshaping the vertical tail, which is too square on top.

IMG_1901_zps6pyaky4q.jpg

IMG_1902_zpslj1o2bzr.jpg

It's not much, but it's a start.

Thank you Mish for starting this Group Build in Merv's honour. I never got to meet him, but the loss of any Britmodeller is a loss to us all.

• Like 7

Cookie,

Could I be cheeky and ask you to measure one of your chaff/flare dispensers LxWxH would be good. I need to make some for my F.3 and as yours is 1/72 I would just need to multiply by 0.5 to get the correct size.

I hope you have more luck than me with the Hasegawa Tornado. Mine is stalled on the shelf of doom, I didn't like the fit of the rear fuselage and also thought the panel lines were too indistinct.

Duncan B

Hi John, do you mean the ones attached the bottom of the engine bays like here? Unfortunately, the Hasegawa kit doesn't seem to come with them. I rummaged around Revell and Italeri GR1 kits as well, and couldn't find anything like them. I'm sorry John.

Duncan, the more I read about the Hasegawa F3 the more I'm thinking I got the wrong kit (it's been in the stash a while). I've got an unassembled Italeri IDS/ECR kit that I've been using as paint mule, and I'm thinking of using parts from it as well.

• Like 1

Duncan, the more I read about the Hasegawa F3 the more I'm thinking I got the wrong kit (it's been in the stash a while).

If you don't like the fit on the Hase one, you'll hate the fit on the Italeri one. Awful kit, and also lacks the chaff dispensers et al. Tomorrow morning I'll poke around, I may have a white metal set left over from the overpriced Flightpath set.

• Like 1

Hi John, do you mean the ones attached the bottom of the engine bays like here? Unfortunately, the Hasegawa kit doesn't seem to come with them. I rummaged around Revell and Italeri GR1 kits as well, and couldn't find anything like them. I'm sorry John.

Cookie, yes those be the rascals. Don't worry, I'll try and see if I can get some help over on the discussion pages. Thanks for looking though.

• Like 1

Like the idea, especially if the "Cold War" had not finished when it did and EFA (Typhoon) was delayed as it was. I could not see the Phantom carrying on like the Lightning did.

Nice work on the fin, did not know about that so I will try it on my one when I get to that part.

• Like 1

Thanks John, it would have turned out better if I had airbrushed the red, but I was impatient and just brushed it (I can only airbrush in my garage in the early morning this time of year as the New Mexico summer heat makes it impossible).

• Like 1

Thanks Mish, Hockeyboy and Tim. Hockeyboy, I hadn't realized that you are a brush painter, all the more impressive!

I'm spending way too much time on the tail, but have made some progress.

First, masked off the blue.

IMG_1967_zpsblyrel8l.jpg

Then sprayed the Dark Earth, a mix of Model Master and Misterkit acrylics.

IMG_1971_zps7tk2d2d8.jpg

That's the closest I've been able to get to Stew's Phoenix Dark Earth.

Then cut some paper masks for the Dark green.

IMG_1973_zpsr0cawhwz.jpg

And here's the tail so far:

IMG_1978_zps6haumddv.jpg

I wanted the blue to look like it had torn off to reveal 92 Sqn's BoB heritage.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cookie, really impressive masking work on the tail fin. Thanks for pointing out the link to this WIP.

Looking forward to see your progress :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1