Comet 1A BOAC 1:144

De Havilland Comet 1A

G-ANAV – BOAC South African Airways Charter – 1953

FRsin (injected plastic) kit. A fairly rough kit but it turned out OK. The decals were excellent. Undercarriage was replaced because the kit items were too small. Finish is Halfords Appliance White on top with Halfords Nissan Silver below, coated with Rub N Buff, polished and sealed with Klear. Commission build for a Comet enthusiast.

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20025.jpg

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20021.jpg

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20020.jpg

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20008.jpg

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20004.jpg

Comet%201A%20G-ANAV%20002.jpg

• Like 25

I too enjoy F-RSIN kits, and this Comet is one of my favourite builds. SAA was the first airline, after BOAC of course, to operate jet aircraft, so quite an historical build here. Beautifully crafted.

Cheers,

Mike

Lovely model. You have done yourself proud there. I really like this finish.

Just wondering what your opinions are of the 'metalised' Rub N Buff paint you used here. Have you tried any other similar metal emulator paint products and how you rate them, like Alclad II or others". Do you recommend one of the other?

Lovely model. You have done yourself proud there. I really like this finish.

Just wondering what your opinions are of the 'metalised' Rub N Buff paint you used here. Have you tried any other similar metal emulator paint products and how you rate them, like Alclad II or others". Do you recommend one of the other?

I've tried most of them - alumimium paint, Humbrol Metaliser, Alclad II, etc. They all have their uses - as usual it depends on what you are trying to achieve. The key things for me seem to be a) how much of the metal surface needs to have decals on it - if you have a lot of decalling to do the surface will need a coat of Klear which will always take the edge off the shine,B) how accessible the model is for polishing - if you have a small model with quite a bit of detail it's sometimes impossible to use a polishing cloth - it always catches on something. I could go on! Anyway, I like Rub n Buff (which by the way is now marketted by Daler Rowney as 'Goldfinger' - yes, I know, but you can get a silver version - which is still called Goldfinger!) because you don't need to use the airbrush (though you can dissolve it in white spirit and spray it if you want to) and you can get a real sheen from it. It does tend to leave a silver film on your fingers when you handle the model unless you seal it - hence I always put a brushed coat of Klear over the top. One day somebody will write a book on how to do natural metal finishes!

• Like 1